Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
-
Could there be another possibility? Perhaps this retaliation isn’t just about EVs. Tariffs on EVs in Canada would help protect and extend the life of Alberta Tar Sands and other fossil fuel interests in Canada - the media coverage of which always seems to be a little lacking…….hmmm 🤔. Don’t we do the same in the US all the time - Machiavellian politics - ‘hey, look over there while we strip the guts from Green New Deal and create a UAW/GM EV incentive program that procrastinates our transition to clean energy and protects existing grid owners, fossil fuel interests, and Legacy auto makers for many more years while we told you ‘Mary Led’ and that pragmatic approaches are good - even as the data suggests climate change is accelerating.

Without a doubt the most striking images for me from Leonardo DiCaprio’s Climate Change Documentary ‘Before the Flood’ were of the massive destruction in the tar sand fields. Those images are vivid for me as I write this. As someone who spent their entire career working to preserve our Resources (salmon, wildlife, water, and energy), with much of it spent in very remote places entirely off the road system in Alaska - accessible only by plane or boat - in places that make Audie’s hometown look like a metropolis, those images of the Alberta Tar Sand destruction are burned into my mind forever. Thus I don’t look for a simple binary answer that says I should judge one side of the border as better than the other on policy because I am angry at the misrepresentation and lack of action on both sides……………make that ‘on every side’. We need to be critical when more can be done. We need to shed our binary thinking and our cognitive dissonance about borders and about politics, because all countries and all parties can do more. Challenge both sides, even if you prefer one side over the other - because neither is doing enough, and they are all influenced by special interests.
Why fall into conspiracies?

1)
The American & union-made credits AFAIK apply to hybrids as well. So all Canadian made cars are affected, even pure ICEs as they gave to compete with lower price US-made cars. Although I assume most Canadian cars are hybrid vehicles in some form anyway (at least for the credit law definition of dropping 1000$ of batteries into a car & raising price by $5k ).

2)
Even if they had no car industry at all. If it breaches an agreed upon contract and they let it slide, what's next? Broken window effect...

I think a fully loaded Tesla semi is not even challenged by a 7% grade. Remember to subtract the normal resistance of air and friction and sidewall flexing of all those tires. And then, just when you think it might be cutting it too close for comfort, remember that it will have the same friction brakes that regular semi's have!

If this was going to be a concern, Tesla would equip them with electric water heaters so the driver could take a hot shower when he got to town! ;)

Consider an electrical vehicle with regenerative braking and a road with a grade that this vehicle is able to climb with a given payload.

Assume then that after having completed the climb that vehicle does not increase its energy, i.e. it does not:
1) increase the payload (potential energy),
2) charge its battery (chemical energy),
3) initiate the drive down with a high speed (kinetic energy),
then friction losses from the driving (up and down) will cause the charge rate from the regenerative braking to be less than the discharge rate from going up.

Assume finally that the battery pack can manage a charge rate as high as the discharge rate when going up. This implies for example that the battery is not allowed to significantly change its temperature (which could happen if the vehicle was parked over night at a low temperature).

Under these conditions the vehicle will always - and regardless of its payload - be able to descend _any_ road it has ascended, without having to even use its friction brakes.

Well, it is still weekend OT, so let me say this:

I am deeply dissapointed with the "updated" Cybertruck. They killed the proportions, which were initally perfect.
Now it looks like another Rivan like something. Big boo.

Just look at the comparison pics on feeter, bad, bad, bad.

Not to mention the lack of the light bar. Weird, as Elon said he hated nice conepts transferring to crappy cars. This is exactly the case with CT, unortunately.

I am not even mentioning the wiper. It'd gotten enough attention already.
The light are just off , proportion not change were do you saw that change it's a prototype many changes before production

You all need to promise me that you will give me a virtual punch if I ever show signs of losing my fanboi energy:

I haven't watched Ben in a long time but I watched this just to hear what he had to say. Turns out he didn't have much to say. To me it feels like Ben needs his ego stroked constantly and since Tesla isn't doing that for him anymore he is butt hurt. Just a half hour of complaining about things I don't care about mixed in with a few legitimate points where Tesla could improve their customer service, but honestly I don't care about huge bows or ribbons on my car during delivery day, I don't need my own box of donuts and my picture taken in a Tesla photo booth. Get me out and on the road ASAP!

Yeah, I think I'll keep on NOT watching Ben Sullins. Good luck to him in his future endeavors.

Well, it is still weekend OT, so let me say this:

I am deeply dissapointed with the "updated" Cybertruck. They killed the proportions, which were initally perfect.
Now it looks like another Rivan like something. Big boo.

Just look at the comparison pics on feeter, bad, bad, bad.

Not to mention the lack of the light bar. Weird, as Elon said he hated nice conepts transferring to crappy cars. This is exactly the case with CT, unortunately.

I am not even mentioning the wiper. It'd gotten enough attention already.

i wouldn’t worry about it until you see better pics, and a spec sheet

and hold off on the 50 cal wiper too 😂

Reactions: GOVA
Newb question because I got a couple posts deleted and told “this is not a chat room”: how have the last 20 odd pages not been mostly chat room level discussion? I didn’t count, but I’d guess 7 of those about the wiper.

Just trying to understand the rules of the road in here. Not sure what all those posts have to do with TSLA.
There is some method. I have had several posts deleted. Here is what I think, empirically determined:

1. Even though this is titled an investors' round table, option and option spreads seem allowed. I don't consider that investing, but rather trading. I skip rather than electronically ignore those. Try to make your posts help people understand why it might good add to or subtract from their investment position.
  2. The wiper has to do with market acceptance of the most important, not yet released, Tesla product. Market acceptance is important to the return on investment and safe allocation of money. The CT had a low deposit ($100) and many of those could be ghosts from GM or Ford as a joke to make Tesla invest in an Edsel like mistake. I think Tesla can look for common credit card accounts and allocate some sort of real demand, but the product needs to be attractive. The wiper is a part of that. I like the look of the new truck more than the original and think it will have broader market acceptance. They are working cost and economics to have an advantage that overcomes objections to the look. Tesla is working to make demand real even if some deposits were a trick.
  3. It is important to clearly show how your post connects to the future value of Tesla stock and try to bring some data. I modeled a Tesla bot forearm that would spin like a drill chuck including a way to feed wrist and finger information to the AI engine with a single camera image of tendon position (there was a viewing box in the wrist). I failed to connect this to near term hand dexterity that maps to existing AI software, but the moderators were kind enough to let me post links here.
  4. A lot of people look at this on a phone. Try to use thumbnails for reference information.
Typically, I try to do some aggregation function and at least provide a starting place for others to carry the thought forward. There are huge gaps in my knowledge, but sometimes a post just says, "Look here! Something is going on. I don't understand it. Does anyone else?" Then add some data for others to work off of. [The post on the different battery choices for rental vs robot taxis was of that type.]

Hope this helps. I think they want people to bring work.

Newb question because I got a couple posts deleted and told “this is not a chat room”: how have the last 20 odd pages not been mostly chat room level discussion? I didn’t count, but I’d guess 7 of those about the wiper.

Just trying to understand the rules of the road in here. Not sure what all those posts have to do with TSLA.

it depends. mods aren’t full-time, and we’re expected to self-moderate, which generally just proves that we are mostly self-important twits who need the last word.

yet even a mod can make a mistake. i got a post nuked the other day which, must have been mistaken for politics?
- in reply to a cnbc clip of joe kiernan / gordon johnson, i said something like….
windbag joe let’s this clown on over and over to spew nonsense

although i was surprised at that particular moderator error, as joe k got the imdb movie credit for being the windbag in the highly acclaimed film american beauty, but like i said, mistakes do happen. i’m pro-mod, though, for the reasons you state, and then some

Last edited:
Could there be another possibility? Perhaps this retaliation isn’t just about EVs. Tariffs on EVs in Canada would help protect and extend the life of Alberta Tar Sands and other fossil fuel interests in Canada - the media coverage of which always seems to be a little lacking…….hmmm 🤔. Don’t we do the same in the US all the time - Machiavellian politics - ‘hey, look over there while we strip the guts from Green New Deal and create a UAW/GM EV incentive program that procrastinates our transition to clean energy and protects existing grid owners, fossil fuel interests, and Legacy auto makers for many more years while we told you ‘Mary Led’ and that pragmatic approaches are good - even as the data suggests climate change is accelerating.

Without a doubt the most striking images for me from Leonardo DiCaprio’s Climate Change Documentary ‘Before the Flood’ were of the massive destruction in the tar sand fields. Those images are vivid for me as I write this. As someone who spent their entire career working to preserve our Resources (salmon, wildlife, water, and energy), with much of it spent in very remote places entirely off the road system in Alaska - accessible only by plane or boat - in places that make Audie’s hometown look like a metropolis, those images of the Alberta Tar Sand destruction are burned into my mind forever. Thus I don’t look for a simple binary answer that says I should judge one side of the border as better than the other on policy because I am angry at the misrepresentation and lack of action on both sides……………make that ‘on every side’. We need to be critical when more can be done. We need to shed our binary thinking and our cognitive dissonance about borders and about politics, because all countries and all parties can do more. Challenge both sides, even if you prefer one side over the other - because neither is doing enough, and they are all influenced by special interests.
This post belongs here:

Moderators' Choice: Posts of Particular Merit​

For those who do not know. Paracelsus is probably the only person here who actually knows the topic. Were he to post specifically on the issues of hydroelectric power and water use that will bring more valuable insight.

If we are bing serious, BEV is a tiny part to resolve the problems, albeit an essential part.

it depends. mods aren’t full-time, and we’re expected to self-moderate, which generally just proves that we are mostly self-important twits who need the last word.

yet even a mod can make a mistake. i got a post nuked the other day which, must have been mistaken for politics?
- in reply to a cnbc clip of joe kiernan / gordon johnson, i said something like….
windbag joe let’s this clown on over and over to spew nonsense

although i was surprised at that particular moderator error, as joe k got the imdb movie credit for being the windbag in the highly acclaimed film american beauty, but like i said, mistakes do happen. i’m pro-mod, though, for the reasons you state, and then some
Nuked for extraneous apostrophes I believe. :)

Apologies if posted previously. It’s been on YouTube 2 days.

This video is better than most. It cuts together Cathie Wood and RethinkX material to discuss S curves. Talks a bit about what happened when iPhones boomed. Focus is on the losers when disruption hits, such as GM. Somebody on this board recently stated that we need at least some ICE car makers to bankrupt (to effect change rapidly to reduce emissions). This vid will give confidence in that happening.

I don't find this impressive just a youtuber with no credibility cutting and pasting from Cathy Woods and lacks any of the already light rigor presented by Tony and others. Much better off just visiting Tony Seba's site and pulling down several of his presentations. Of course GM is already dead. More importantly so is Toyota.