Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supposedly hydrogen makes more sense in trucks than batteries? According to who? Trevor? Tesla haters?

A hydrogen semi without a green source of hydrogen, is worse than diesel! And no one has come up with a green source of hydrogen that won't make our transport costs go through the roof.

But good point about regen braking. I imagine a hydrogen truck might want some dump resistors if it needs to cross any mountain ranges. Might as well just put more batteries in there and get rid of all that complicated plumbing, stacks of fuel cells and big, expensive hydrogen tanks.

Hydrogen is maybe less dumb for trucks… but that doesn’t mean it isn’t still dumb.

Fuel costs for hydrogen are much higher than diesel and like 10x higher than electricity. It costs like $100 to fill up a Toyota Mirai that has a 400 mile range, vs~$45 for a Camry/Avalon and like $10 for a model 3.

Semi trucks can travel like 100,000 miles a year! Fuel is a big part of the total cost. That’s $50,000/year in fuel costs at the average 6.5 mpg consumption!

Last edited:
Oh wait, are you all thinking the laser is in the blade and it sweeps the glass blasting like a jet printer?
That could explain the "wire" on the side as it might need some extra laser power not designed into the power distribution originally - but that's a leap maybe. Better than my first conclusion anyway.
The wire running up to the drivers window connects whatever measurement instruments that are located around the CT to the laptop the passenger is monitoring.

Now, who wants to know how fast a Semi with a 1 MWh bty pack can come down that mountain w/o overheating its battery pack? Any guesses? :D

1.67x pack size compared to earlier example
Sustained 1.5C energy transfer into pack (although it is very SoC dependent) compared to 1C of earlier example

So 65 mph * (5/3) * (1.5/1) = 162 mph
There is some leeway here because the higher speed will have more drag and more energy spent removing pack heat. This exercise does point out that limiting factors are not the pack, but the cooling and drivetrain. Not that I expect either to be a problem since they have to be sized for charging and acceleration.

As they might say in the trucking business, "sounds OK."

Last edited:
Well, it is still weekend OT, so let me say this:

I am deeply dissapointed with the "updated" Cybertruck. They killed the proportions, which were initally perfect.
Now it looks like another Rivan like something. Big boo.

Just look at the comparison pics on feeter, bad, bad, bad.

Not to mention the lack of the light bar. Weird, as Elon said he hated nice conepts transferring to crappy cars. This is exactly the case with CT, unortunately.

I am not even mentioning the wiper. It'd gotten enough attention already.

I am deeply dissapointed with the "updated" Cybertruck. They killed the proportions, which were initally perfect.
Now it looks like another Rivan like something.
You must be looking at a different Cybertruck than the rest of us. It looks nothing like a Rivian or anything else. The original shape is almost the same.

Well, it is still weekend OT, so let me say this:

Now it looks like another Rivan like something. Big boo.

Just look at the comparison pics on feeter, bad, bad, bad.

Not to mention the lack of the light bar. Weird, as Elon said he hated nice conepts transferring to crappy cars. This is exactly the case with CT, unortunately.

I am not even mentioning the wiper. It'd gotten enough attention already.
The wiper isn’t part of the final design…Elon has said that already. So it’s good you mentioned not mentioning it.

The light bar is still in the design; and in some of the shots you could clearly see it. Looks like it was turned off as part of the daytime running light system.

I’m not sure which proportions you’re referring to but I assume you mean that the hood seems to possibly be shorter…it likely wasn’t a design decision as I agree it doesn’t look better than the prototypes but I do think it will improve visibility and maneuverability. Saying it just looks like another rivian is quite a stretch AFAIC.

My only concern is the bed *appears* shorter; but I’ll assume it’s still 6 1/2’ unless otherwise reported. This still wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me as I want an electric truck and there is no evidence at this point that any brand is capable of putting together a better product.

Supposedly hydrogen makes more sense in trucks than batteries? According to who? Trevor? Tesla haters?

A hydrogen semi without a green source of hydrogen, is worse than diesel! And no one has come up with a green source of hydrogen that won't make our transport costs go through the roof.

But good point about regen braking. I imagine a hydrogen truck might want some dump resistors if it needs to cross any mountain ranges. Might as well just put more batteries in there and get rid of all that complicated plumbing, stacks of fuel cells and big, expensive hydrogen tanks.

My use of the word "supposedly" was with tougue firmly implanted in cheek.

I can't imagine H2 making much economic sense for at least another 20-30 years. I.e., when there is a massive oversupply of renewable energy. Innovator's Dilemma be darned - not something I would invest in today.

1.67x pack size compared to earlier example
Sustained 1.5C energy transfer into pack (although it is very SoC dependent) compared to 1C of earlier example

So 65 mph * (5/3) * (1.5/1) = 162 mph

I've thought about this a little more ...

Extrapolating from a car, about 1/2 of power spent at 65 mph is to overcome air drag. If that holds true for the Tesla Semi, then about 1 kWh/mile of air drag at 65 mph.

Now let's get a little futuristic: Expect 2C sustained regen from 4680 cells. In a 1 MWh pack that is 2000 kW. At 3x the 65 mph speed there will be 9x the air drag, so 9 kWh/mile. At 65*3 mph, air drag is 65*9 = 585 kW for a total budget of 2585 kW.

The short answer appears to be that there is no practical upper limit to truck speed so far as the battery pack is concerned; the truck speed will be limited by air drag. This follows since at a certain speed the quadratic increase in the aero drag reaches the linear increase in regen

How fast is a truck in free-fall ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: PV4EV
Apologies if posted previously. It’s been on YouTube 2 days.

This video is better than most. It cuts together Cathie Wood and RethinkX material to discuss S curves. Talks a bit about what happened when iPhones boomed. Focus is on the losers when disruption hits, such as GM. Somebody on this board recently stated that we need at least some ICE car makers to bankrupt (to effect change rapidly to reduce emissions). This vid will give confidence in that happening.

The wiper isn’t part of the final design…Elon has said that already. So it’s good you mentioned not mentioning it.

The light bar is still in the design; and in some of the shots you could clearly see it. Looks like it was turned off as part of the daytime running light system.

I’m not sure which proportions you’re referring to but I assume you mean that the hood seems to possibly be shorter…it likely wasn’t a design decision as I agree it doesn’t look better than the prototypes but I do think it will improve visibility and maneuverability. Saying it just looks like another rivian is quite a stretch AFAIC.

My only concern is the bed *appears* shorter; but I’ll assume it’s still 6 1/2’ unless otherwise reported. This still wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me as I want an electric truck and there is no evidence at this point that any brand is capable of putting together a better product.

My guess is the light bar is the high beams now, and the low beams are the lower lights… or the low lights are daytime running lights. It’s still there, you can see it if you look close.

The biggest difference looks like they put a curvature in the windshield/frunk plane, which is a small modification that improves the aesthetics greatly imho.

My use of the word "supposedly" was with tougue firmly implanted in cheek.

I can't imagine H2 making much economic sense for at least another 20-30 years. I.e., when there is a massive oversupply of renewable energy. Innovator's Dilemma be darned - not something I would invest in today.

In the future, seasonal solar surplus will be best spent on desalinating water and making reservoirs up in the mountains, which could be used for both power and water.

I am almost certain the semi is not "burning rubber". This is just dust blowing up off the pavement. Lots of dust up there in the desert.

Apologies if posted previously. It’s been on YouTube 2 days.

This video is better than most. It cuts together Cathie Wood and RethinkX material to discuss S curves. Talks a bit about what happened when iPhones boomed. Focus is on the losers when disruption hits, such as GM. Somebody on this board recently stated that we need at least some ICE car makers to bankrupt (to effect change rapidly to reduce emissions). This vid will give confidence in that happening.

Thanks for sharing that @Carl Raymond - it was well done and is an excellent episode to share with others. I had to take a screenshot near the end (spoiler alert)
1639373020253.png