Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why not quote the whole context? The risk I was referring to was this bolded part:

I see that we both started at TMC in 2013. Frankly, you know NOTHING about how I research or invest, and as mentioned I am not giving advice. You do you, and you carry the consequences (positive as well as negative), and same goes for me. But FYI:) I do follow those youtubers you mention, and others, and TMC (obviously) though not all daily. Nobody can foresee the future in full detail. Our advantage in knowledge is precisely the "risk" that made us rich, although I'm only up some 13,000% from the first share bought. No need to get greedy. 🤑

I do take umbrage to your unprovoked personal attack however. Back off please.
Or I shall taunt you a second time and maybe mention vegan leather gear shifters 🤡 😂 🤣
Yes, of course, "you do you."

But . . . did/do you really think that TSLA's growth rate would be less than the margin interest rate?

No "unproved personal attack" was intended and I remain perplexed on where you see one.

I just question where, exactly, you see all this "risk" that you write of. Help us understand. Please advise as it IS possible that we're all "in the bubble" and missing something that you could enlighten us on?

Thank you.

I suspect that if something were to happen to Musk, we would not know what we have lost because his value lies mainly in the optionality that bears fruit far in the future. For instance, is the enduring value of Tesla as an HVAC company, an aircraft company, a terracotta solar tile company, a humanoid robot company?
Banking is another possibility. Loans to fund Mars etc. in 30+ years.

re Fremont expansion: Do not neglect the third dimension. Mr Musk has dropped cannonball-sized hints about this over the years. My strong belief is that there was a severe setback on achieving this route when his plans for a hyper-roboticized factory (the "Dreadnought" campaign) faltered but I cannot understand why, in the long term, that is not the route Tesla will take.
Yes, the "blur" effect when robots move so fast. Primus will get in there and manage the cables and soft parts. "Dangerous and repetitive tasks..." are the target and because it furthers the mission, Tesla may prioritize those specific Factory use cases.

It might be a few years, but to transition the factory lines from part Human to Primus Robots and fully autonomous could be seamless - like upgrading a plane in flight - as they say. It's the most logical CapX avoidance, and you don't need to change the vehicle design to accommodate the automation (with things like guide pins or vision reticles). Pure vision factory and the lights stay on!

Speaking about margins: anyone knows why it wouldn't make sense for Tesla to offer loans directly to car buyers at say 2%, aka "margin" rates - by opening a finance company that would take custody of TSLA shares from new car buyers and issue loans backed by these new cars?
Taking loans from margin accounts is pithy (only 20-30% available), and risky on top of that if the SP spikes down if only temporarily (as usual)

Sure would help folks like me who really don't want to take loans at not so great rates because they don't have high enough credit scores*, but have enough TSLA shares/ derivatives assets ?

(*) I maxed out on too many free 1-year no interest credit card loans; that knocked the heck out of my previously excellent credit score. And it would really, really, but really pain me to have to sell some chairs when I know full well we're on the brink of another significant bump by Dec 30, 1500-1900 from my working HFT analysis 90% probability estimate. Now a real bummer as my model Y (already christened Emma Y) is scheduled to be delivered in December.

[Incidentally]
Anyone knows a contact at Tesla Finance please mention or even better anyone who works at Tesla and reads this please mention /pass along to your HR or take this job as an additional personal side job enrichment/ learning project. From what I've gathered anybody at Tesla can work and get support on anything related to the mission if approved by the inhouse Agile AI gizmo.

Is there a reason you have not opened a Line of Credit (SBLOC) with your brokerage for low interest loans? I just set one up with ETRADE on an account that holds only TSLA shares. They approved borrowing up to nearly 50% of my shares value. I expect to draw against this LOC early next year when I at last exercise my MY performance reservation.

Is there a reason you have not opened a Line of Credit (SBLOC) with your brokerage for low interest loans? I just set one up with ETRADE on an account that holds only TSLA shares. They approved borrowing up to nearly 50% of my shares value. I expect to draw against this LOC early next year when I at last exercise my MY performance reservation.
I'm not the person you asked, but after doing the research I personally decided against an SBLOC because the loan can be called in at any time, for any reason, and my pledged shares can be sold off to meet the obligation. Regardless of how low I think the risk of such an event may be, I am not comfortable with giving anyone the power to take my shares from me.

Sounds good - thanks, hadn't thought of that - I try and keep my trading accounts totally separate from credit cards etc - makes perfect sense, will check it.

Meanwhile questions you may already have an answer for:

1/ what happens if the value of my TSLA holdings changes (goes down for any reason) - the loan is a loan, nothing changes, is that right? I could even move my TSLA shares out to my other broker (IBKR) and eTrade would be left with the loan without any guarantees?

2/ do my IRA shares count when getting a loan?

I'm not the person you asked, but after doing the research I personally decided against an SBLOC because the loan can be called in at any time, for any reason, and my pledged shares can be sold off to meet the obligation. Regardless of how low I think the risk of such an event may be, I am not comfortable with giving anyone the power to take my shares from me.
Uh-oh. You mentioned the "risky" word. ;)