Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OT, I wonder how much LN2 (Liquid Nitrogen) would be needed to cool a battery on fire and put it out? Possible? Water is stupid as Li has oxygen, so only thing left to control is Temperature. Like put down a thick reflective-type apparatus under the car, and spray LN2 downward to reflect up to the battery. Dump about 3 tanks on it (from your local semiconductor company), and it could Mr. Freeze into pieces.

A SuperChiller, the inverse of a SuperCharger?
In Texas...it takes about 36,000 gallons of water and around 4 hours to put out a Tesla Model S that crashes on autopilot.....Allegedly. :)

In Texas...it takes about 36,000 gallons of water and around 4 hours to put out a Tesla Model S that crashes on autopilot.....Allegedly. :)
This was refuted by the fire department. There are several posts about this when it happened. They said the fire was out in a few minutes, and it didn't use anywhere near that much water.

Chicago Tribune - hour ago: United Airlines plans to buy 100 small electric planes for regional flights

Excerpt:

United Airlines and one of its regional carriers each plan to buy up to 100 small electric planes that could be used on short-haul United flights.
The 19-seat planes could be used to fly passengers up to 250 miles by the end of the decade, United said Tuesday morning.

United’s venture fund and its partner Mesa Airlines will be investing in the company developing the plane, Sweden’s Heart Aerospace. Both airlines agreed to purchase 100 of the planes if they meet United’s specifications once developed.

“We expect the short-haul regional air travel market to play a key role in the evolution of the electric aircraft. As battery technology improves, larger-gauge aircraft should become viable but we’re not going to wait to begin the journey,” Michael Leskinen, United’s Vice President Corp Development and Investor Relations, said in a news release.

Last edited:
Guiness is pay to play. You actually have to pay them for them to consider whatever you do a record.
Cool, how much would that cost Ford?
Huh, this could be a new Bucket List item for me.

- Best guitar player (on Nextdoor local area).
- Top TSLA Analyst (that's not officially an "Analyst" or called that in their name.)
- Oldest person to deep water start, single slalom (has potential, we'll see).
- ... behind a fully electric boat, no doubt.

The list goes on - in my mind...

oh one more investment advice story.

Wayyyyyy back at Tesla's IPO, i had saved up $10,000 and created an e-trade account in order to buy in when they went public.

the night before the IPO, i happened to go out to dinner with my parents, and my Dad (who has made strong financial decisions all his life) convinced me not to go through with it.

I don't even want to do the math on what $10,000 at Tesla's IPO would be worth today, but i think it'd be about $200 million.

fast forward about a decade, my Dad saw my Fidelity balance (which is big, but it ain't no $200 million) and exclaimed, "why didn't you tell me to invest in Tesla?!"

i resisted the urge to remind him of his advice at our dinner a decade ago.
You actually may feel better after doing the math, because $10,000 at IPO would get you nowhere near $200 million.

Well, considering the poster says "65.6% of you will love it" and the current US homeownership rate also happens to be 65.6%, I'm guessing a new Powerwall is in the works.
But...the Mach-E is less efficient than a Tesla, so how can it set a Guinness record? Did Guinness simply not test a Tesla for this same test? 🤔

Exactly! My company spent mondo money last year to break a record. While I like checking out their books with my kid, I hold Guiness in the same regard as I hold Yelp.

Ford's PR committee thought of an idea to impress their bosses.
Ford calls Guinness and tells them what they want to do.
Guinness tells them it's $50k plus full room and board for the Guinness observers who need to be there for a day or two.
Whether or not Ford accomplishes the record they still pay Guinness for everything.

That's how it works. I expect to never see a Tesla record unless we pay for it.

hmmm. ;)

Hey guys. This is probably nothing but I just sold this $760 call on JPMChase and it came up like this. Never seen this 5:1 stock split thing before. Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 11.59.07 AM.png

All this FUD, concerning Musk and Tesla, in the media right now is sickening.
but, just like the last times, I wonder if some of these statements by Musk mean something other than the literal.🤔 i.e. “Stock is too high” basically meant a split was near.

Reactions: Mike Ambler
InsideEVs - half hour ago: China: Media Reports High Demand For Tesla Model Y Standard Range

Excerpt:

Tesla Model Y Standard Range has the green light in China and tons of orders, according to reports.

According to unconfirmed media reports from China, the newly introduced entry-level MIC Tesla Model Y Standard Range RWD version attracts a lot of potential customers.

It would not surprise us, as the Chinese EV market appears to be very price sensitive. This is why the MIC Tesla Model 3 Standard Range sells well, and why there is a high demand for tiny EVs.

Moneyball reports that a Tesla Beijing sales consultant says that the number of orders exceeded 10,000 on the first day, and then 5,000 on the second day.

Chicago Tribune - hour ago: United Airlines plans to buy 100 small electric planes for regional flights

Excerpt:

United Airlines and one of its regional carriers each plan to buy up to 100 small electric planes that could be used on short-haul United flights.
The 19-seat planes could be used to fly passengers up to 250 miles by the end of the decade, United said Tuesday morning.

United’s venture fund and its partner Mesa Airlines will be investing in the company developing the plane, Sweden’s Heart Aerospace. Both airlines agreed to purchase 100 of the planes if they meet United’s specifications once developed.

“We expect the short-haul regional air travel market to play a key role in the evolution of the electric aircraft. As battery technology improves, larger-gauge aircraft should become viable but we’re not going to wait to begin the journey,” Michael Leskinen, United’s Vice President Corp Development and Investor Relations, said in a news release.
Who is going to fly them? The 19 pax market is dead for a reason in the US. Regionals can't find enough pilots to fly their present 75 pax aircraft. 9 pax aircraft is the limit for single pilot commercial flying, what is the economics behind this? This will fly when United operate their first Boom supersonic aircraft.

Although I had -- and continue to have -- very strong beliefs about what a great investment Tesla stock is, and I am happy to gush about what a great car mine's been and how well-positioned the company is, and I continue to store a huge percentage of my net worth in the stock, I stop short of telling people what to do with their money. Even friends and family. I'm just not comfortable doing that.

The only exception was in January 2019. I wrote an email to my brother telling him if he had any spare cash lying around (i knew he had a bunch), he should strongly consider buying some $TSLA. I told him it could double in the next year or two, and i laid out a case why that would happen. He wrote back saying "ok, i'll probably put a hundred thousand or so into it". The stock at the time was at about $60 (split-adjusted). That $100k would be worth more than a million within 2 years.

Unfortunately, he never got around to doing so.

(He is getting a Model S this fall though)
I'm closest to your case, @Pezpunk . I avoid making individual stock pick recommendations to friends and family, although I will volunteer how my investments have done if the topic comes up.

Instead, to all my friends and family paying huge fees (2.5%) to "experts" for investing their money into middling mutual funds, for a decade I've recommended a much more conservative approach of using a self-serve online broker to invest in diversified ETFs (Canadian / US / Global). Few have followed through, and their retirements are that much further away because of it.

For my Mum and for my partner, each of whom have zero interest in finance, they've "accepted" me volunteering to set up online accounts for them. With their endorsement, I bought them some TSLA as the one, "fun" investment they can say they own besides the good returns of their ETFs (compared to proprietary and expensive mutual funds). Of course, their few TSLA shares have done way better than the ETFs, and they get to brag to their friends they are invested in Tesla!

Last Christmas, I gave my Mum (93), siblings, and aunt & uncle a free sailing trip to the Caribbean largely to share the wealth of my TSLA earnings with my loved ones. Unfortunately COVID nixed that November trip! Being the youngest in the family, none of my 3 siblings can bring themselves to say - even after I offer - "wow, that's worked out great for you, will you please help me?".

Pride = poor.

Guiness is pay to play. You actually have to pay them for them to consider whatever you do a record.
Considering the MME (impressive average of 6.54 miles per kWh :rolleyes: ) isn't even close to the EV efficiency record of 797 miles per kWh (link) "A vehicle built at Duke University has broken the Guinness World Record for electric vehicle efficiency, traveling 797 miles per kilowatt-hour, or 27,482 MPGe. The new record was confirmed by Guinness on July 9 [2019]."

What a dumb marketing attempt by Ford.

I actually hold a World EV Efficiency rating as well* 🏆

*World record for "Most efficient EV driven on a Tuesday in July in the year ending in a odd number when the sun is shining between the distance of the top of my driveway to the bottom" Results verified by property owner and vehicle driver.

Last edited:

Excerpt:

BATTERIES

Talk about desperate.. last night I saw a Kia commercial on our tv.
They're driving a car, battery goes flat, the other guy goes out to a thunderstorm with a lightning rod to charge the battery.
Then the other guy comments that thank god our hybrid, lets just continue driving with the gasoline engine.

And I thought Koreans made pretty good ev:s compared to the rest..