Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has been argued that building an EV (esp. the battery) results in higher emissions than an equivalent ICE.

But of course ICE emissions are higher per mile of driving than EVs. After a few years of driving the lifetime emissions of ICE exceeds the emissions of an equivalent EV (production plus operation).

Weber doesn’t seem to understand these issues at a depth you’d expect from a person in his position. But - he’s not alone in this regard...

Right....so what Auke Hoekstra has been discussing on Twitter. Thanks - I assumed it was the case of Weber being ignorant, which is hugely concerning in his position...

Here is today's TSLA Tech chart as of 09:30 EST: (Note: Upper-BB at Market Opening was $694.86)

sc.TSLA.50-DayChart.2020-12-09.09-30.png

Cheers!

Is the driving layer traditionally coded or ML? We don't know.

We absolutely know.

NNs are used for perception. That's it.

Everything else is conventional code.

Green has been telling folks that via his access to the firmware for a long time now- this is simply more easily-shown-to-non-code-folks proof of that fact.

(there's several existing threads in the relevant FSD type forums here covering this stuff if you want a deeper dive rather than clutter more here)

Reactions: Bet TSLA
After a few years of driving the lifetime emissions of ICE exceeds the emissions of an equivalent EV (production plus operation).
few years? try 6-16 months depending on your driving habits. And this is from a report in 2015! :) And then once you are using renewnable energy to power your manufacturing buildings, like Tesla is doing, this becomes a moot point.

https://www.ucsusa.org/sites/defaul...ner-Cars-from-Cradle-to-Grave-full-report.pdf

In other words, the extra emissions associated with electric vehicle production are rapidly negated by reduced emissions from driving. Comparing an average midsize midrange BEV with an average midsize gasoline-powered car, it takes just 4,900 miles of driving to “pay back”—i.e., offset—the extra global warming emissions from producing the BEV. Similarly, it takes 19,000 miles with the full-size long-range BEV compared with a similar gasoline car. Based on typical usages of these vehicles, this amounts to about six months’ driving for the midsize midrange BEV and 16 months for the full-size

Last edited:
Breaking news, the geniuses at JP Morgan have raised their TSLA price target 12.5%.

From $80 to $90. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Really. Did they hire Gordon Johnson to help come up with that PT?

JPMorgan analyst Ryan Brinkman raised the price target on Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) to $90.00 (from $80.00) while maintaining a Underweight ....

Pay site link: jpmorgan tsla - Google Search
So this means JPMorgan is shorting the stock, right? Because they should put their money where their mouth is..... :p

I've been chewing on the $5 billion cap raise announced yesterday and Elon's statement it would retire debt and provide a larger war chest. With his statements in germany that he's confident level 5 autonomous driving will happen in 2021 it's my speculation that he needs to reduce debt and strengthen the balance sheet to offset a planned Tesla fleet.

In California there are supposedly 200k uber drivers so if Tesla were to funnel a percentage of production vehicles into a robotaxi fleet there's going to be some significant changes to cashflow right?

I'm probably off base but Elon's statement the cap raise was to retire debt threw me for a loop and I remember reading that and saying to myself, "huh." Especially since they aren't over-leveraged

More flavor on the JPMorgan "upgrade":

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

At least Bloomberg seems to get it in this article:

Brinkman raised his price target on Tesla to $90 from $80, citing the $5 billion at-the-market offering announced on Tuesday, and maintained the sell-equivalent rating on the stock. According to Bloomberg data, investors who followed Brinkman’s recommendation received a negative 867% return in the past year.

:D

How can you even get a -867% return? :eek: Did he recommend people to sell naked calls on TSLA or something? :D

All in on margin on TSLA bankruptcy puts?

https://twitter.com/alex_avoigt/status/1336348189243420672

BMW R&D Head Weber

"The rise in e-mobility would increase CO2 emissions per vehicle in the supply chain by more than a third by 2030"

"You can of course solve the so-called range anxiety up to a reasonable threshold with more range. In our opinion, this threshold is 5 - 600 km"

"From today's point of view, we will not produce battery cells for our series vehicles ourselves because the technology is in flux here. It would not be the right time to enter battery cell production now"

:rolleyes:
"Please pay no attention to the spurting artery; I'm feeling just fine!"

The early hours trading capping that we have been seeing is occurring once again this morning. As TSLA tries to run back up, I am seeing large sell orders that just do not make sense for someone looking to maximize profits as they sell their position (as TSLA just tried to get above $640, there were large orders (5,000 plus shares at a time) at $640). As always, we will need to see if we get volume to steamroll the cappers.