Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll throw out climate which we enjoy pretty much year round. Can’t stand long periods of damp, cloudy days and rain. A doctor friend took a job up near Seattle to do a year of residency and couldn’t wait to escape the weather up there.

Amen! Keep spreading the word brother! Washington is hellish weather, we keep trying to leave but our joints are too rusty to allow easy movement. It's so wet you can hardly take a deep breath without drowning. It's suffocating. And if you have to work, you will be lucky to make half of what you would in San Fran. Everybody here wears sweatshirts that say "I left my heart in San Francisco" and there's a reason for that.

You would have to be really dumb to move here. Spread the word!

Not only is the Democratic candidate stuck in a sexual scandal that is exposing the whole parties hypocrisy he is mentally going downhill quickly. We all should be concerned about this type of mental decline. I know many of you could careless as long as Trump is gone but I would advise you think a little bit harder about the puppet they want to be Prez. The pandemic politics are firing up the Trump base and pulling a lot of independents, like me, to give Trump another look.

It is going to be Trump 2020 for the easy win. I've given this a lot of thought and his policies will be the best thing for Tesla. Even though they don't appear to be at first blush if you dive deeper you see that it is all positive for Tesla with Trump 2020, imo. You have to get over all the bologna propaganda that the democratic party and MSM is spewing to see this---- but they are full of it from everything to racial justice to climate change.

Bon Voyage to all the haters.

Can't vote for a president that suggested people to drink bleach but I agree Trump would win. The margin of winning for Democrat is very thin and people with financial pain will be maximized in Nov. There will be a lot of angry voters.

Just wait until hurricane and wildfire season. Most of the states have depleted their emergency fund that reserved for seasonal natural disasters. This year hurricane and wildfire will be more intense. People will soon forget about COVID when the next disaster takes place.

Either way, the Tesla way is inevitable regardless which party takes hold.

Yeah, but Texans innovated oil extraction and showed the Saudi Royalty how to develop their resources. Oklahoma developed ways to store and transport all that valuable oil.

Without those important contributions, we would probably STILL be driving electric-powered cars!

Er, wait a minute.... o_O

The largest residential solar installation I ever inspected was at the home of the Saudi Royal Family.

B7E76152-D19A-4F12-9F65-76F17739468F.jpeg

Over 700 panels. You see the damndest things in Beverly Hills. The property has since changed hands.

Just one of those things that make you say HMMMM!

JB Leonard

I was uneasy about Elon’s tweets yesterday, then the cybertruck effect hit me and it doesn’t seem that bad. He seems more rational that I thought initially.

In fact there are some benefits again to something this disastrous. Lots of talk on Tesla and everyone knows his tweet was worth 14 billion dollars. But what’s more surprising is most people probably had no idea how much Tesla was valued at, and somehow this has led to an education on Tesla.

Slowly today the tide has turned. Many are still angry at the tweets, but I’ve seen quite a few more people come out in support of him.

maybe it will feel different on Monday or if the SEC opens an investigation, but it doesn’t seem like a big deal today

WTF are you talking about? AAPL has about 4.6B shares. TSLA has about 185M. It's more like 25:1.

That was @Highway2Heel that said it was 2500:1. Unfortunately we don't have anyone factchecking anymore :(

You have to have a stock price greater than $1/share (or is it $2?) to remain listed on NASDAQ.

Edit: AAPL market cap is 9.78x TSLA. Split of around 24:1 would roughly equalize the number of shares (which would drift over time anyway, since the two companies issue different stock grants), and have TSLA trading around $29/share.

Sorry everyone, I just took the 2,500:1 from someone else and tried to make a joke out of it. I definitely wasn't serious about doing a stock split like that - just thought it was funny.

A healthy dose of skeptism is always good. For example, MSM first said wearing face masks doesn't help then NYT said it reduced spreading COVID weeks later.
No, You Do Not Need Face Masks To Prevent Coronavirus—They Might Increase Your Infection Risk

C.D.C. Weighs Advising Everyone to Wear a Mask

I wore masks from the beginning because I have went through SARS. The purpose is to block the airflow and reduce the distance of spread. It's physics! Nothing magical. But MSM portraits mask as ineffective or immoral.

I had a feeling being punched in the gut when Bay Area health officials ask everyone not to wear masks during the early phase of COVID. I knew it would be a disaster and increased the risk of community transmission. And now here we are.
It was the CDC that said that masks weren't helpful. States and media were just stating what they were being told. They weren't prepared for this at all and were trying to preserve what supplies there were for healthcare workers who were most at risk. They also initially claimed that COVID-19 was just droplet spread. It was weeks later that it became known that it was aerosolized so it remained in the air for a couple hours after someone coughed sneezed. Sometimes it takes time to figure out what you are really dealing with. The mask is mostly to protect people from shedding the virus. If you aren't wearing an N95 or better mask then the virus can pass through especially if your mask is moist. While it's possible, it is a PITA to wear an N95 for hours.

At the most recent secondary, he purchased stock (about $10 millions worth) at $750 something, but now
the stock price is high, contradicts that. Something does not square, so either his state of mind is off,
Or the subtext is lost in translation, or a combination, or given the present shutdown the price is high.

$800-$850 was a high price considering COVID and the lost production and uncertainty. I suspect the shares will drift down into a summer trading range of mid-500's or so before climbing towards the end of the year on building sales and production. Anyone who thinks this means I think it's a good idea to sell either doesn't understand what I just wrote or doesn't understand stock investing very well.

While no one knows what the share price will do, I think this is what Elon is thinking it will do as well. Markets are funny beasts.

Can't vote for a president that suggested people to drink bleach but I agree Trump would win. The margin of winning for Democrat is very thin and people with financial pain will be maximized in Nov. There will be a lot of angry voters.

Just wait until hurricane and wildfire season. Most of the states have depleted their emergency fund that reserved for seasonal natural disasters. This year hurricane and wildfire will be more intense. People will soon forget about COVID when the next disaster takes place.

Either way, the Tesla way is inevitable regardless which party takes hold.

Agree about all the points you mention except I think you may be making the same mistake about Trump's comments. He did not tell people to drink bleach. Now, I'm not saying what he did say was the perfect way to say it but he was referring to looking into a possible way to get a disinfectant in the body to clean out the lungs. Sounds crazy at first but remember he was looking over at the guy who was looking into all this stuff. I can't say for sure but I would assume they were talking about this company during a task force meeting and Trump heard it in layman's terms:

Synairgen and Superoxide

In a nutshell the drug stimulates your lungs to produce a superoxide which in turn disinfects the lungs. It is real, it is an inhaler, and they are going to clinical trials for COVID. Again, not agreeing with the way he said it or saying I know what he meant but you gotta remember what Pete Thiel said about Trump which is you can't take him literally just have understand what he means. I've been doing that lately and it does make a huge difference and it is almost funny how everyone gets their panties in wad when they take him literally.

$800-$850 was a high price considering COVID and the lost production and uncertainty. I suspect the shares will drift down into a summer trading range of mid-500's or so before climbing towards the end of the year on building sales and production. Anyone who thinks this means I think it's a good idea to sell either doesn't understand what I just wrote or doesn't understand stock investing very well.

While no one knows what the share price will do, I think this is what Elon is thinking it will do as well. Markets are funny beasts.
Bears will be mounting an attack on Q2 numbers. They know it will be weak, we know it will be weak. I’d expect the market to be rational about it, but inevitably the shorts will dump it and weak investors will panic sell adding to overall pressure on the stock.

However, this is assuming a late start on Fremont, no surprise announcements, everything staying the same. So hopefully we get some tailwinds that help investors look past Q2.

he was referring to looking into a possible way to get a disinfectant in the body to clean out the lungs.

I have been experimenting with this. What I do is ingest ethanol solutions, which raise my blood alcohol content, which then raises my breath alcohol content. Hopefully to a high enough level to kill any aerosolized viruses. So far I have avoided Covfefe-19 infection with this method.

A healthy dose of skeptism is always good. For example, MSM first said wearing face masks doesn't help then NYT said it reduced spreading COVID weeks later.
No, You Do Not Need Face Masks To Prevent Coronavirus—They Might Increase Your Infection Risk

C.D.C. Weighs Advising Everyone to Wear a Mask

I wore masks from the beginning because I have went through SARS. The purpose is to block the airflow and reduce the distance of spread. It's physics! Nothing magical. But MSM portraits mask as ineffective or immoral.

I had a feeling being punched in the gut when Bay Area health officials ask everyone not to wear masks during the early phase of COVID. I knew it would be a disaster and increased the risk of community transmission. And now here we are.

i think we know why there was no advice to wear masks...simply because there weren’t enough to even begin to go around and they felt that would cause a huge panic with people not having any to wear. Tell them you shouldn’t wear like Asian countries were and some will believe it won’t help. With everyone trying to get their hands on them, it would have been like Toilet Paper Wars but worse because otherwise you could inhale, get sick and some would die. And they did and still are. That plus obviously healthcare workers and emergency responders needed it on the front line and they didn’t have enough either.

To @RandomJohnny, best for Tesla? not sure where you think Trump is on board with improving air quality, promoting EVs and not supporting the oil/gasoline companies instead. Just because Elon wants to get his plant up and running only makes him a fair weather friend. Elon joined his advisory committee way back when hoping I’m sure to bend his ear on EVs and sustainable energy and look where that got him. Trump had no interest what so ever in extending the EV incentives to Tesla, GM and others. Trump has pushed for relaxing the fuel standards and fighting states like Calif and manufacturers like Tesla who are opposed to that. Tesla wants to see a move towards cleaner air and environment and Trump supports coal, fracking and coal power plants. Time to do more research if you are serious about Tesla at all.

Last edited:
It was the CDC that said that masks weren't helpful. States and media were just stating what they were being told. They weren't prepared for this at all and were trying to preserve what supplies there were for healthcare workers who were most at risk. They also initially claimed that COVID-19 was just droplet spread. It was weeks later that it became known that it was aerosolized so it remained in the air for a couple hours after someone coughed sneezed. Sometimes it takes time to figure out what you are really dealing with. The mask is mostly to protect people from shedding the virus. If you aren't wearing an N95 or better mask then the virus can pass through especially if your mask is moist. While it's possible, it is a PITA to wear an N95 for hours.

True. Maybe I had too much confidence from CDC and WHO after going through SARS and 2008 Swine Flu.

But it is also responsibility of MSM to provide alternative perspective from what Asian countries had already done. These Asian countries are also ran by doctors but MSM focused too much on China.

MSM wields so much power on shaping public perception. They need to due diligence on providing all the fact-based views.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: jerry33
Too bad you can't read between the lines. I think he has a message for those that can't and it doesn't require more than two words.
Let's make sure every stock owner can read between the lines of every CEO of every stock they own. If not you should not invest in stocks.

Or the CEOs could learn to speak in more than half a sentence whenever they want to convey something.

You know, whatever would be the least wasted man hours for earth so people could do something useful with their time.

I know Elon is busy but 5 seconds more per tweet wouldn't kill him. I'm sure their is a few he could skip if it becomes to much.

States and media were just stating what they were being told.

Well, this is exactly the point and the problem. The MSM just goes along with whatever they are being "told" by the "experts" and "beaurocrats" and disseminating into the public who does the same thing. Anyone who questions any of it, despite good reasoning and sound logic, be damned or is guilty of conspiracy. This is the bubble of thought problem that the MSM has sickened the population with under the guise of saving lives, not being racist, protecting the environment, etc etc. All sounds good but is it all just a sales pitch to go along and give away control/freedom of thought. Frankly, the way the majority of MSM goes about peddling this information should be taken as an insult to average intelligence.

i think we know why there was no advice to wear masks...simply because there weren’t enough to even begin to go around and they felt that would cause a huge panic about people not having any to wear. It would have been like toilet Paper but worse because you could inhale and get sick and some would die. That plus obviously healthcare workers and emergency responders needed it on the front line and they didn’t have enough either.

To @RandomJohnny, best for Tesla? not sure where you think Trump is on board with improving air quality, promoting EVs and not supporting the oil/gasoline companies instead. Just because Elon wants to get his plant up and running only makes him a fair weather friend. Elon joined his advisory committee way back when hoping I’m sure to bend his ear on EVs and sustainable energy and look where that got him. Trump had no interest what so ever in extending the EV incentives to Tesla, GM and others. Trump has pushed for relaxing the fuel standards and fighting states like Calif and manufacturers like Tesla who are opposed to that. Tesla wants to see a move towards cleaner air and environment and Trump supports coal, fracking and coal power plants. Time to do more research if you are serious about Tesla at all.

Doesn't need to be medical grade mask that health care workers were using. I think the biggest mistake is focusing too much on medical grade masks.

Also the medical supply chain is broken in US. For whatever reason such important PPE items were not stockpiled the same way as oil. Now we have too much oil but not enough of PPE that it is not even funny.

I could see the SP running up briefly with the one-two punch of Fremont resumption and Battery Day then get beat back down by the realities of Q2. Not that it makes much difference as I'm a long but also 63 yrs old and hoping to retire next year. My Tesla Long term is 5 years out as it is only about 10% of my holdings, I do hope to accumulate more.

Too bad he didn't express himself as well as Third Row did.
I've been an owner of TSLA since 2012. I don't take investing lightly or as a short term concept. It is long term. It is a big bet.

I initially wasn't an Elon fan, because I read somewhere that Clooney thought his car sucked and he was a PayPal mafia playboy. That's what I read at least.

In October of 2012, I walked into a Tesla store with contempt. I wanted to see how faux green movement glut looked. This new "Model S" thing for the ultra wealthy who just wanted to say they were for "the environment" by having one. They really weren't trying to overcome the big problems.

I sat in the model S. They told me the range was about 300 miles per charge. It could hold up to 7 people. They said Elon designed it to hold his entire family (5 kids, himself and significant other). And it was priced in the 57k region after incentives for the base. I actually was in shock. This was actually heads and tales above the rest in the electric car world. It wasn't the small low range Nissan. It was the type of eat-your-broccoli type Prius. It was really really different. It looked good too.

I started to look into Elon. Every video I could. The earliest was a short clip of him receiving his Mclarin. Then a small clip of him talking about x.com. But then I picked up a lecture he gave a Stanford. Then all his interviews from 2008 on. I was amazed by his consistency. I loved his fire in the interview where he called the guy an asshole. He was right.

What I came to learn for him and why I became an investor and supporter was his all out courage and candor. He put it all out there and was willing to take the hits for what he believed. He said he could make an electric car that better than gas car. They laughed. They mocked. They ridiculed. Then he did it. He said he was going to make a reusable rocket. They laughed. They mocked. They ridiculed. Then he did it.

He made it through the internet bubble of 2000. He's been able to cope with the tragic loss of a child. Through the darkness of divorce. Through the insanity inducing 2008. Through hours away from dying from 2 misdiagnosis by "medical experts", then holding on for that third. His life is like that forth rocket. He's the lone voice in the wilderness of AI wolves. Funding secured is nothing Elon hasn't been through over and over again.

And now we are here today with Covid. The theme? Elon has the courage of a million people combined. He believes in a better future and is willing to put everything on the line for it because we have no choice. He proves it day in and day out. In this life, he's been given tremendous opportunity and as a result he does hard work, loves the future of life, and appreciates the fortunate position he's found himself. Being fortunate comes with responsibility. *Very few* really take responsibility seriously in this world. Elon does it in spades.

He would've never gotten here if he didn't have the courage to take responsibility for doing his part. We wouldn't be investors if he didn't have that tremendous drive. Sometimes its like eating glass while staring off into the abyss ahead. Elon has been here many many times before and will be many times after.

Drive on Elon. It's difficult to know where our best interests allign in this current global climate. Until I see someone else with the courage to stand tall in the face of backlash for their convictions, as Elon has done time in and time out, I will respect his opinion and be an advocate for reasoned debate without "cancelling" them. When you can't do that, we shouldn't be investors in Tesla. This will definitely not be the last time Elon ruffles feathers.