Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are billboards a relatively new development for Tesla? I was driving around Bethesda, MD and spotted this ad outside the Westfield Montgomery mall. Yesterday it showed the S, 3, and X and said "Schedule a test drive today." Didn't have the chance to snap a pic, but an older billboard can be seen on Google Streetview:

View attachment 507111

Fraud!!!

Tesla said on the most recent earnings call that they spend $0 on advertising!

/s

Last I checked a Tesla vehicle could not fit in my pocket and go anywhere with me.

That said, if 5, 10, or 15 years from now Tesla created their own phone or watch or neural implant, I’m sure it would kick apples butt.
Not sure whether anthonyj or ValueAnalyst were being sarcastic or not about the Teslaphone and there were a bunch of funnies associated to his post. This does not seem that far fetched to me. however I would definitely purchase a Teslaphone tethered to my M3 in place of my iPhone. With Starlink, Elon can control the whole ecosystem, that is something even Apple and Goggle can't do.

I'm not so sure about that: the younger generations are more concerned about the environment and about global warming - so I'd at minimum expect those portfolios to shift away from oil companies and ICE carmakers. If you want a green portfolio, Tesla is one of the top choices.

Note that this effect is measurable even between 65 to and 85 yo people:

Also note that in many wealthier families, tradition has the wealth skipping a generation. It seems after funding their own children's early years and education, it's more appealing to leave it to their even younger grandchildren as they leave the world. In many families, traditions die hard.

However, my point in posting the amount of wealth being inherited in 2020 wasn't to say a huge percentage of it will flow directly into TSLA, it was more of a general observation of just how much wealth there is at the top and that all this wealth is constantly looking for a productive home, especially in an era of low-interest rates. This has the effect of fuelling markets in general and making stocks more valuable. And as money flows to younger generations, a higher percentage of it will find it's home in companies like Tesla promoting sustainability.

During the tech boom of the 1990's, technology was fuelling a market boom due to the increased productivity that technology brought to many sectors of the economy. However, the great crash of 2000 led many to believe that technology wasn't the silver bullet for the markets.

Since around the turn of the century, information velocity has accelerated greatly. This is not to say it now travels faster than the speed of light (obviously) but it speaks to how the penetration of information flow and continuing adoption of data-driven processes in new applications have a synergistic effect on economic efficiency. The effects of this on economic efficiency should not be under-estimated. The economy can now produce more value at a lower cost than ever before. And the benefits are largely flowing to the top 3%. But here's the important part: We are still at the very early stages of the benefits that will be realized from these technological efficiencies.

Because the benefits are synergistic, and also because the benefits are still penetrating some previously untouched nooks and crannies of economic activity, the beneficial effects are only just beginning. Don't think of the benefits as one dimensional as you try to imagine specific examples of how technology can increase economic efficiency. It's not about the individual case studies but how they layer and combine to create entirely new ways of creating products and services and solving problems. Engineering and design become more efficient as well as the products they create. The need for many products and services goes away entirely. Products use fewer resources to create and build and more people can share the function of the same product. More for less. And a need for fewer goods and services to live better. Car and insurance salesman can be repurposed by the economy to provide better lives for more people. Maybe the masseuse that visits your home for 45 minutes twice a week was formerly a car salesman. Maybe, in time, the masseuse will be replaced by a smart robo-massage table able to sense exactly what your body needs. And the masseuse will be repurposed by the economy to provide other benefits to your life.

Some investors can only think in terms of an extraction economy. The rights to oil, rock, trees, coal or gold is resold at a profit after extraction and processing. We still need to do that but information and innovation are the new currency. We still need to extract materials and manufacture goods but we can do it with fewer people and at lower costs.

With raw materials and clean air and water in shorter supply, the economy is not contracting but expanding due to acceleration and availability of information and know-how. The net result is a boom of great investment opportunities such as the world has never seen. People who can only conceptualize the investment in something they think is tangible (like land or currency) will miss out. When you purchase land you are really purchasing the title to the land which is no more tangible than a share of a company. Both transfer ownership of a tangible asset to the purchaser. Even land ownership is fractional in nature. No one owns the entire county, state, nation or mother earth, they acquire a portion of it. And the value of that portion relies upon the proper functioning of the whole.

Money may be less volatile than stocks (on average) but it is far riskier because it is not a tangible asset, it is merely an economic accounting tool. Money is not productive in and of itself - only when it is used to purchase productive assets is it productive. True, it can be loaned out so others can put it to productive use but then you are only realizing a small portion of its actual return. It's much safer and more profitable to own actual businesses, with real production capacity, intellectual property and the ability to create desirable and useful things.

For all these reasons I think we are in the biggest multi-decade bull market the world has ever seen. And Yes, there will bumps along the way but, looking at the bigger picture, they are insignificant. People who don't see this bigger picture, the picture that shows how value is created over time, will not participate in investment returns but will be reduced to trading, and only catching small portions of the overall gains. They will think they were smart for cashing out with a $1,000 gain, a $10,000 gain or a $100,000 gain, not realizing they left more than 95% of the profits on the table with nothing to show for it but some cash (or whatever they bought with the money). This is how much of America (and the world) thinks. However, the wealthiest people in the world don't have a vault with all their cash (or even gold) safely inside, they buy other companies or portions of companies. That is true financial wealth, owning a portion of the economy.

Last edited:
Breaking news from Fully Charged Live today. I'm watching a panel focused on energy/transport infrastructure in the US.

On this panel is Wayne Killen, Director of Infrastructure Planning for Electrify America. He was asked how we get to a point where electric semis are functional from a charging standpoint. He said the CCS standard for semis is going to fuse CCS and Tesla tech to provide three MW of power under the new standard.

Apologies is this was known already, but I hadn't seen a number that large bandied about.

When I purchased my modelS, the superchargers weren’t even announced yet. Then the 6 with one being in the East (Delaware). It was in incredible to me. Then we were keeping track of the number of supercharger sites. Before any superchargers would use RV camp sites to charge on a long trip
Back before there were all the Superchargers I had fun planning my trips from FL to AZ and back. I always compared it to flying a cross country in a Piper Cub looking at weather, winds, changes of terrain and places to fuel. RV parks were key along with a network of Tesla owners that would share their HPWC.

I usually check cramers recommendation before pullin trigger on investment BUT as contrarian indicator. When he supports an investment I am in or about to get in, it makes me look twice. I have done extremely well with this. I am still long on tsla but anyone who followed his recommendations on tesla until recently would be out of the market

Like BlackRock divesting from oil, Cramer supporting Tesla and fall oil’s death is a shift in the broader market attitude. This is precisely what I look for in regards to “timing.” Imagine if your enemies start to support you, this ends up making you stronger not weaker.

there has been no mention of the concomitant positive feedback that logically must occur,

Thank you for pointing out the positive feedback loop related to S&P inclusion.

If a fund acquires a 0.35% holding in TSLA at the T=0 price immediately following S&P inclusion and then the share price doubles so that the fund needs a 0.70% holding, they will already have it since the shares they acquired will have doubled in value, but if the price rises as they acquire the shares, which is quite likely in view of the huge number of shares needed, the fund will, at the time of re-weighting, have to buy more shares, but not double. The number will depend on how rapidly the price rose as they were acquiring their first set of shares. This loop likely reoccurs and makes a nice and interesting integration situation, as you said.

Let us know if you hear anything about Rivian. There has been precious little new information coming out of that company.

Very true. Rivian recently discounted their deposit price, likely because the Cybertruck is killing them right now.

Rivian cuts proposed prices for electric ute and SUV after Cybertruck unveil | The Driven

Tesla is putting pressure on everyone in the trucking industry, not just Rivian. Notice how others aren’t laughing at Tesla’s design anymore? Ford backing out of the tug of war...

Back before there were all the Superchargers I had fun planning my trips from FL to AZ and back. I always compared it to flying a cross country in a Piper Cub looking at weather, winds, changes of terrain and places to fuel. RV parks were key along with a network of Tesla owners that would share their HPWC.

The good old days. 2013-2014?

Amazing how fast this has progressed to where you don't have to worry about it in a Tesla.

Thanks, I’ll have to read that patent more closely. The Teslarati article didn’t really provide enough details to really understand what Tesla might be doing here.

In the Third Row Tesla Podcast Elon said something about simplifying battery packs, too: would like to do away with the double layer of battery top cover AND car bottom above that and also not have modules in the batteries in the future, just cells.

Are billboards a relatively new development for Tesla? I was driving around Bethesda, MD and spotted this ad outside the Westfield Montgomery mall. Yesterday it showed the S, 3, and X and said "Schedule a test drive today." Didn't have the chance to snap a pic, but an older billboard can be seen on Google Streetview:

View attachment 507111
Interested in this too.

Didnt some fans buy a board in new york or something a while back? Perhaps this could be the same case?

With this wealth transfer from one generation to another being talked about I’ll give you a personal example. My Grandpa passed away last year and my parents gave me a rather large sum of money for Xmas. I asked why is it bigger than my usual Xmas present they said a lot of it was from Grandpas inheritance. I immediately then put that into TSLA. Now that money is up over 50% :)

Interested in this too.

Didnt some fans buy a board in new york or something a while back? Perhaps this could be the same case?

There is a Tesla Store inside the mall, so this could be considered "exterior signage" or something of the like. But still, only the anchors like Macy's have exterior signs otherwise. There's no Apple Store sign on the exterior of the mall, despite there being an Apple Store within.

Reactions: RobStark and mongo

View attachment 507111

Nah, seen billboards going back years. Usually near a store. Still very cheap stuff measured even on a nationwide basis at maybe a couple of mill as opposed to billions in commercials the OEMs are into.

Honest, it wasn't that bad. Did TX to WA.

Reactions: wipster