Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know you were being sarcastic, but actually Westfield provides such advertising as part of the rent.
I'm glad you write that with conviction, because my reaction when I saw that was "I'll bet the landlord is the one footing that bill, using Tesla as a marque to attract shoppers of all ilk".
Ain't it grand to get others to do some of your heavy lifting?

Curt,

Since I know you're on the forum today and I highly respect your opinion, can you tell me why Tesla and all other BEV manufacturers are "battery constrained?" Is it lack of raw materials? Is it production capacity? Is it something else? I can see raw materials being a big problem, but production capacity is really just a matter of building more facilities isn't it?

Curious what you think and if anyone else wants to pipe in feel free.

Thanks!

Want to point out what I feel is the most important part of the third row Tesla podcast part 2
Starts at 42:42.
When Gali said they can throw money at R&D now, Elon said

To me this perfectly outlines why no one else would be able to catch up with Tesla.
  • Speed of innovation is the key.
  • To do that you need the best talents.
  • Best talents don’t work for money, they work for the right mission.
  • Tesla has the best mission statement out there(probably only second to SpaceX)
  • No existing auto company could possibly compete on talent front, it’s not a money thing.
  • Even startups don’t have as good of a mission statement or probability of succeeding in the mission, so they mostly attract people using money. Again, really exceptional engineers don’t work for money.
This is why I say Tesla would see no competition in the long run.
It’s not a money thing, throwing money at R&D won’t guarantee any good outcome.
No one was able to catch up on Tesla for the past 10 years, and no one would be for at least the next 20 years.
Also, Tesla has much of the talent in the US tied up and has branched out to acquiring same in China and then Germany. Coming soon: a lock on world domination.

Seriously? I assumed Tesla had an app from at least 2012 or 2013. I guess that explains the lack of functionality. I’m actually impressed with the Tesla app after experiencing the VW app. It’s complete crap.

I don't know when the iPhone app was first available, but it was there when I got my P85 in March 2014 - here's a screenshot from day 1:

upload_2020-2-2_22-24-37.png

but production capacity is really just a matter of building more facilities isn't it?

Yeah, just building more facilities. :rolleyes: (Setting up the supply chain, hiring more qualified employees, etc., etc., etc. It took what 3 years to get GF Nevada up to full speed. So you really have to start way in advance of when you want the supply.)

Yeah, just building more facilities. :rolleyes: (Setting up the supply chain, hiring more qualified employees, etc., etc., etc. It took what 3 years to get GF Nevada up to full speed. So you really have to start way in advance of when you want the supply.)
However it took less than a year in China. Not saying it's easy, but if production facilities are the problem, that should have been obvious well over 3 years ago, and if so, why aren't several being built right now? Now raw materials, that's a problem if that's what holding production back... hard to build raw materials...

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
However it took less than a year in China. Not saying it's easy, but if production facilities are the problem, that should have been obvious well over 3 years ago, and if so, why aren't several being built right now? Now raw materials, that's a problem if that's what holding production back... hard to build raw materials...

No, as far as we know they haven't started making cells in China yet. They are buying cells from LG/CATL while they continue to build.

And there are companies that have started building cell factories, and others that are looking for funding to build cell factories. But you can't just build them blindly. (Some customers want cylindrical, others want pouch, other want prismatic, etc.) So you really have to have orders lined up in advance...

Reactions: Lessmog
There's too much technical risk in rolling out both a new manufacturing facility and a new generation battery technology at the same time. And no need. The current process 2170s are fit for purpose, profitable, and the fastest route to market. This is a slam dunk decision.

The road from prototype to first production does not go through the company's least expensive, highest volume model. As I wrote here last (Mar 31) spring (Apr 1), look for the high tech bty cell rollout in a low volume car, like Plaid (Apr 5) S/X and Roadster. Next I'd look for them in Semi, since that is a product without a current supply of battery cells and would be the ultimate high-use test case for the 'million mile bty' which could happen in just 3 years with a Semi in '2-a-day' cargo run service between Sparks and Fremont.

Agree with you here. I also believe Tesla will retain the 2170 form factor, because it will ease the enginneer work and lessen the cost to switch manufacturing to the new tech when they're ready. But the story for at least the next year or two will be continuing with the existing supply chain for 2170s in the bread'n'butter Models 3/Y, while preparing for the future.

Folks tend to overestimate what Tesla can do in the short term, and underestimate what they can do in the long term (more on that below). I think a battery development road map in April (Bty Day) will help people understand how Tesla plans to grow bty supply, which allows the vehicles we already know about to enter production.

I think the "Model 2" is going to become profitable at the $25K base price point because of (by then proven) 'Maxcells' with a ~30% reduction in cost per kwh capacity. I predict this will be the first unique product from GF4/Berlin phase 3 starting in ~2023/24. I look for a 34 kwh bty pack at the $70/kwh price point, in a Ford Focus / Eurohatch equvalent design.

I also think that Tesla has a roadmap to a ~50% reduction in bty costs. In addtion to the Maxwell roadmap, Elon recently commented that bty 'modules' are an artifact of poor organizational design, and in the future there will be no separate 'module' and 'pack' teams, only a single 'bty' team. Look for a significant cost reduction when simplified.

A $50/kwh cost at the pack level enables the "Model 1" designed-in-China "World Car" by 2024/25. This may be a 2-3 seater (Smart Car equivalent) with a 17 kwh pack, <1,000kg curb weight and anonymous-only robotaxi-enabled (no steering wheel or control pedals). It may also be not be largely sold to customers, but may become the basis for corporate robotaxi fleets in the large, congested cities of India, SE Asia, Africa, and S. America. Where people don't have $10K cash/credit for a car, they may have a cell phone and a dollar for a convenient ride, which is what they want, as opposed to 'car ownership'. Further, the effect on people's health by reducing smog and pollution will be a positive feedback for futher Tesla sales and fleet expansion. It's the virtuous cycle, and the World is eager for it to begin

Overall exciting times for Tesla investors. I also expect this transition to take 10 years, even if the roll-out begins close to the schedule I've outlined above. But by 2030, Tesla could well have annual capacity of 3M Models 3/Y, 6M Model 2, and 10M Model 1. Then 1 million of everything else (S/X, Roadter, Cybertruck, Semi) gets us to a cool 20M Tesla per year, and allows the EV transition to be functionally complete by 2040 with about one third of a billion Teslas on the road (Yes, 333M Teslas by 2040)

That's my crystal ball view for 2020-40. Have I missed anything? ;)

Cheers!
I think you covered most of vehicular business except for what MikeAtkinson pointed out -- but lets not forget about those other divisions. Many people believe TE will be very big, for instance.

This has been discussed so often here that maybe we regulars tend to take it for granted. Let newbies beware, that would be a mistake over the somewhat longer term at least. Or so I believe.

I eagerly await a major takeoff when the insights from BatDay have settled over the market at large.

No, as far as we know they haven't started making cells in China yet. They are buying cells from LG/CATL while they continue to build.

And there are companies that have started building cell factories, and others that are looking for funding to build cell factories. But you can't just build them blindly. (Some customers want cylindrical, others want pouch, other want prismatic, etc.) So you really have to have orders lined up in advance...
I trust Tesla to get the batteries they need, after all in addition to what they'll be building in China they still have a large portion of GF1 to build out. This is a large part of their "moat," adequate supply of batteries. That being said, I do wonder if the reason they say they are battery constrained is a potential change in the type of cells or packs to be built. Hopefully this will be discussed during Battery Day.

However the same can't be said for the various German manufacturers who have known for some time they would need batteries and didn't adequately plan for them (as mentioned a few pages back). I suspect the same thing is going to happen to GM, Ford, and Rivian. It's one thing to make vehicles for car shows, another thing altogether to produce them in volume.

I doubt Tesla thought what they had a year ago was going to be the final solution to FSD. Well, at least I never thought it would. Static 2d labeling combined with hard coded algorithms (which is pretty much what is running in our cars now) was never going to work for urban driving. Karpathy himself in one of his presentations talked about how they needed to push more of the algorithms into the NN. And creating and maintaining a 3D scene map is an obvious (but not easy) thing to do. The fact they haven’t done it yet doesn’t mean they are changing direction. It just means that it has taken them until now to have the time to do it.

I don’t attribute FSD delays to anything unexpected in development. It’s just Elon’s usual optimistic projections which were wrong.

Agreed.

Andrej talked about this on autonomy day (april 2019) and even showed a demo of pretty good 3d scene generation from 6 seconds of video-only data.

From his talks, I gather that he has been steering tesla towards this solution since he joined in 2017.

After GM pays the millions for advertising, spokespersons, unions, recurring pension costs, dealers ..... how much will this Hummer cost?

I'm guessing it's going to be a LOT more than the Cybertruck .... which IMHO will make the Hummer look old before it even comes out.

Thanks for educating the public GM .... we Tesla fans appreciate it!

I hope the Hummer does great!

Reactions: Tslynk67