Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it's antennae then why are they tall? Rooftop antennas are usually flat, to reduce drag - radio waves will propagate from a flat antenna just fine.

The signal to noise ratio will determine the data bandwidth for a given size and frequency of radio spectrum. The antenna length is probably defined by the frequency they are using.

If it's antennae then why are they tall? Rooftop antennas are usually flat, to reduce drag - radio waves will propagate from a flat antenna just fine.

Beam pattern. A flat antanna mainly radiates upward (perpendicular to the flatness). A vertical antenna radiates 360 around its axis. Those look like 2.4 GHz quarter wave. For vehicle telemetry to a ground unit, vertical is the way to go. Just like your cordless phone, CB, walkie talkie...

Addendum:
GPS and sattelite radio antennas are flat (up looking), cellular car antennas are the vertical shark fin style (sideways looking).

Not really, Ford is not getting the truck from Rivian but a version of the CUV. Same Skateboard but totally different market. Ford has been testing its own EV version of the F150 for a while now.

Yep, that their story (Ford's). I hope they mean it and are not just "polluting" Rivian. Something tells me Rivian might not come out of this partnership smelling exactly like roses. :oops:

If this 1Q production rumor is true and 3Q call guidance is strong AND the Donald decides to put out this fire he started.......lord only knows where this SP ends up.
$280 tops, because... you know... there's no demand, and competition is heating up. Plus, Tesla is known for putting out overly ambitious guidance, but sophisticated analysts like Adam Jonas know they will produce only 60,000 Model 3s in 2019.

Exactly! I've watched too many stocks get away from me to ever want to swing trade again. Yes, I can make consistent profits by swing trading but it's a lot of work and stress and time. It's a rare person that ever becomes wealthy through swing trading. The same cannot be said for the better strategy of buy and hold. There are literally millions of "buy and hold" millionaires. That's not to say that I wouldn't sell my Tesla shares today for $1200 if it gapped up. But no way am I selling them for only $300-$400. I know myself well enough to know that if I sold it because I thought it was "topping out", but then it gapped up, I'm not going to have the guts to buy it back at 40% higher prices.

I'm sure a number of swing traders did better than 30% on Amazon but the buy and hold crowd are the ones who became wealthy. I never bought AMZN because it was always too expensive for what I thought they had. How wrong I was (hindsight is 20/20). Tesla is in a different industry but very much the same kind of stock. The thing is, AMZN did not have a powerful, wealthy and evil consortium of mom and pop, brick and mortar retailers teaming up against them to spread fear uncertainty and doubt. And I STILL thought they were over-priced! Dang! I could be worth over $200 million by now if I had only put a reasonable portion of my investable assets into AMZN in 2002!

I'd love to read stories of these buy and hold millionaires, you know of any?

Yep, that their story (Ford's). I hope they mean it and are not just "polluting" Rivian. Something tells me Rivian might not come out of this partnership smelling exactly like roses. :oops:

True, Ford is not being benevolent, they want something out of this relationship, I bet Rivian will be using some of Ford's EV parts or vice versa so as to keep the price down. We will see how this pans out.

The signal to noise ratio will determine the data bandwidth for a given size and frequency of radio spectrum. The antenna length is probably defined by the frequency they are using.

Yes, but a flat 10 cm antenna works as well as a tall 10 cm antenna - with much lower drag.

But maybe they wanted the EM field to be horizontally homogeneous, which is best done with a vertical antenna. The Nürburgring track is very large, the car can be ~10 km away, and a vertical antenna probably has more range.

Not sure why everyone keeps making a big deal about Tesla's FSD when obviously VW isn't far behind:
upload_2019-10-15_12-21-40.png

Just stop and move on.

Elon/ Tesla have taken to talking about volume production dates, not first production.
Q4 2018 letter:
Additionally, this year we will start tooling for Model Y to achieve volume production by the end of 2020,most likely at Gigafactory 1

Volume production was Q4 based on locating at GF1. Fremont allows them to start production sooner. That can put volume production in Q3 (or earlier).
"Right now our default plan actually is to produce the Y at Fremont," Musk said on the "Ride the Lightning" podcast hosted by Ryan McCaffrey. "I was skeptical about whether this made sense at first, but my team convinced me the fastest way to get to volume production is to do the Y at Fremont."
Allowing for a 4-6 month ramp up, that puts first production in late Q1 or early Q2.

Given:
Preparations for Model Y production in Fremont began in Q2. Due to a significant overlap of components between Model 3 and Model Y, we are able to leverage existing manufacturing designs in the development of the Model Y production facilities.
, it is not infeasible to see Ys this year.

I'd love to read stories of these buy and hold millionaires, you know of any?

Yes, I've met a number of them in my life. Neighbors, relatives, friends, myself.

Here, I've Googled "buy and hold millionaires" for you. These are the first 4 hits:

More On Millionaire Buy-And-Hold Investors | The Compound Investor
3 Tricks Billionaires Use to Make Their Money Work for Them | The Motley Fool
How Being a Boring Investor Can Make You Rich
Basic Math: Get Rich With Simple Stock Investments

I like this part:

Patterned After 2012 Performance Award

This new performance award is similar to the structure of Elon's last compensation award, which was put in place in 2012. Under that plan, Elon was awarded stock options that vested only if the company's market cap continued to increase in $4 billion increments and if it achieved matching operational milestones, including vehicle production targets and developmental milestones relating to the Model X and Model 3 programs. While these milestones were viewed at the time as very difficult to achieve, all of the market cap milestones and 9 of the 10 operational milestones have been achieved.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster and jerry33