Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
\
I hate to break it to you but having Ford embedded on Rivian's BoD might actually be a net negative. It's a conflict of interest for sure. I'm sure Ford will keep the execs and other board members happy and in the money but why would they help accelerate a product that could gut their most profitable sales, ie. ICE trucks and SUVs? It's a multi-billion dollar business.

Because they don't want to shed that business to Tesla ?

• Informative
Reactions: Carl Raymond
Our dear old friend Adam Jonas on Fox, talking up Tesla Tesla navigating land mines that zapped rivals

“For years, investors have been concerned that Tesla must eventually face a wave" of competing all-electric vehicles that would "substantially erode its market and competitive position,” wrote Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas.

“Here we are more than seven years after the Model S launch and, while there have indeed been new product introductions from the likes of Jaguar, Porsche and VW," the state of play in the market remains fairly peripheral," Jonas wrote. Global automakers such as Toyota and Ford don't even sell all-electric vehicles, he added.

That being said, while I have sold more puts than calls, I have lately dabbled in selling ~30 day covered calls on TSLA. I sold a call last week and then exited it for a profit when the opportunity arose, then sold another out-of-the-money call today. I'm guessing that the share price won't rocket up during the coming month. If it does and the call gets exercised, I'll still make a profit on selling the underlying shares plus option premium, but the profit will obviously be capped. There is certainly an element of gambling in this, but it's only with a fraction of my holdings, most of which I've been keeping for the long term.
Speaking of "buy and hold", I just bought back, with a very small loss, the Nov. 15 $280 covered call that I sold yesterday.

With the additional "rumors" on early Model Y production and other positive news over the last 24 hours, I'm no longer comfortable putting even a fraction of our shares "at risk" of being called away. It seems that whenever I dabble in selling TSLA covered calls, I end up chickening out! Selling TSLA puts has worked out better for me.

I'd love to read stories of these buy and hold millionaires, you know of any?
those are very boring stories... that is why you don't read about them
most millionaires got that way due to buy and hold strategies... trading costs/management fees /taxes/missing out out on big SP run ups all erode gains over time in a really significant way

Ummmmm....selling puts has literally the same risk / reward profile as selling covered calls.

For a short term or swing trader, yes.

For a long term buy and hold investor, they are different. If nothing else, it's in the psychology (which while not mathematical, is still real). For a long term buy and hold investor, the puts you sell that then end in the money, result in the acquisition of more shares at a discount, to hold for the long term. It's all good.

However, the calls you sell that then end in the money results in losing shares that your intention is to hold for a long time. This can be stressful.

(At least in my case, I bought back in '12 with a 10+ year time horizon. Now it's 2019 and I've updated my time horizon to be 10+ years - that's what long term buy and hold means to me.)

In fact, my original shares (still holding) were from selling $29 puts that finished in the money, were exercised, and resulted in my buying shares at a discounted price of $27.30. Oh the good ol days.

I'd love to read stories of these buy and hold millionaires, you know of any?

My dad does not believe in buy and hold. He is a hindsight 20/20 back seat driver. Annoying as hell. "You should have bought today, you should have sold today"

He had Microsoft, Intel, and Walmart stocks back in the 1990s. Sold them for a small profit and others for a loss. His stock trading resume is a big fat break even. The only stocks he didn't manipulate were these IRA funds he actually forgot about. They 10x over the past 30 years.

I have made some manipulations to stocks and always got burned. Now I just buy and hold. I sleep better at night and I'm doing way better than any of my friends who put in heavy manipulation.