Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Must admit if I was actually funny (sarcasm?) it was not on purpose. Sometimes it shows if English is not your first language... I meant to say "good PR" like in "good press", but I guess the abreviation is ambiguous?

No what you said was fine and I knew what you meant. I was making fun of the media because there's no way in hell they are going to report positive news. I mean think about it - they report every single fire Tesla ever has. But, when Tesla's AP helps someone avoid an accident, do they plaster on the news sites for 5 days? Nope.

I had linked what prompted the question in my original post. It was alluding to an increase of ships docking relative to last month.
That's not unwinding. Unwinding would be a steady flow, e.g. one ship per week throughout the quarter. Filling a bunch of ships the first 4-6 weeks of the quarter then shifting the factory to produce 100% domestic cars is what the wave is all about.
Regardless, if they've always been supply constrained and based on his recent claim of 10% more orders than what they could supply, if nothing changes on that front, and they deliver at similar or hopefully better rates than previous quarters, it would seem revenue would continue to climb. Would it not?
It depends on the mix. Also on how many of those orders are for Shanghai 3s and Model Ys which won't be built for a while. They always say something encouraging about orders; I haven't found it to be usefully predictive.
Additionally, reflective of my above statement, I question whether the loss of 3% in incentives will negate the >demand rates.
I estimate a 10-15% seasonal drop for Q1 just because fewer people go car shopping in winter. US tax credit phaseout is above and beyond that. I agree it won't be as bad in the US as Q1 was this year, and tried to make that clear the first time. But there will still be a hit.
Don't get me wrong, it'll decline plenty. :) But there are companies that buy rather than lease, there still are private cars (not benefitting from the tax difference, but there's still a huge fuel price difference), etc.
Zero is obviously a round number. S/X dropped 98% from Q4 2018 to Q1 2019. I don't think it'll be that bad. I expect 8k or so in Q4 falling to 500 or so in Q1. What's your estimate?
Check out the wait times on locally-made Model 3s. 6-10 months.
I changed my location to China to take a look, now it won't let me switch back. Very Hotel California of them....
Anyway, has that 6-10 months changed since they opened up ordering? I remember articles a few months ago misinterpreting that to mean production wouldn't start until next spring.

They have zero incentive to show a lower wait time until production starts. We'll see what happens.

Hey ya'll giving me funnys, that was a factual post. I'm good with it being funny as long as you are also informed.

Post 85415:
Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019 Investors' Roundtable

1e2d3m.jpg

That's not unwinding. Unwinding would be a steady flow, e.g. one ship per week throughout the quarter. Filling a bunch of ships the first 4-6 weeks of the quarter then shifting the factory to produce 100% domestic cars is what the wave is all about.
You are correct. I must have gotten caught up in the positive spin of starting this quarter off with more boats than last quarter when it really matters more at the end of the quarter as you stated.

• Love
Reactions: Zhelko Dimic
A person calling himself Ed Niedermeyer apparently created that account to write the following TMC message to me, approximately 10 months ago, with various ways to contact him:
Either way - it is really weird for someone to write that message. Why would any member here contact "Tesla Death Watcher" ? May be thats what there kinds of reporters do - write a to a large number of people in the hope of getting something (apparently any lie will do).

You are correct. I must have gotten caught up in the positive spin of starting this quarter off with more boats than last quarter when it really matters more at the end of the quarter as you stated.
If anything, having more ships in the beginning of a quarter is winding tighter - rather than unwinding. It would mean more of the cars are being sent out instead of an even split between local sales and shipping.

In this particular case, though, I think it means Netherlands demand that is likely to peak in Q4 is being aggressively met. A lot of orders must be contingent on being fulfilled in Q4.

Haha, I didn't mean your post is funny. I meant Niedermeyer is funny in a stupid way. Fact Checking did post tons of high quality posts, but anyone with a normal brain should know Elon Musk wouldn't have that much time to post.
I think people who haven't worked in a corporate environment don't actually understand how busy executives are. Esp someone like Musk who puts in 200% effort in everything he does. Just because he spends a few hours a week goofing off on twitter they think he has a ton of time to kill.

• Love
Reactions: X Fan
Must admit if I was actually funny (sarcasm?) it was not on purpose. Sometimes it shows if English is not your first language... I meant to say "good PR" like in "good press", but I guess the abreviation is ambiguous?
Sadly I speak nothing but English (my daughter got the language ability) and I have no idea why he found it funny. PR is press release, public relations or Puerto Rican.

I think we collectively have to let go of the idea that Tesla will buy empty car factories. Fremont was a unique opportunity at a moment when Tesla was cash constrained, and was glad if it could just survive. It will be their last refurbished factory. All future car factories, and GF3 is the first example, will be built from the ground up with extreme efficiency in mind. The inefficient design of old car factories would only be a drag for a company that wants to become the most efficient car producer in the world.
For the most part I agree, but as the huge drop off in ICE demand happens, there are going to be some factories offered at pennies on the dollar. Tesla may buy up the best of the best of these deals.

Reactions: UncaNed and capster

In the future fantasy world that hasn't arrived yet, it's the boats / quarter (and really the count of the cars on the boats), that will matter. And whether the cars are delivered by the end of the 3rd month or the 1st month (or the 2nd month) will stop mattering.

Reactions: NicoV and SpaceCash
I think we collectively have to let go of the idea that Tesla will buy empty car factories. Fremont was a unique opportunity at a moment when Tesla was cash constrained, and was glad if it could just survive. It will be their last refurbished factory. All future car factories, and GF3 is the first example, will be built from the ground up with extreme efficiency in mind. The inefficient design of old car factories would only be a drag for a company that wants to become the most efficient car producer in the world.

While I am inclined to agree with you here, it is not completely unrealistic that Tesla might repurpose existing space for these reasons:
* The "giant machine," while itself.. ah.. giant, presumably reduces the overall space requirements of a factory. So an existing smaller space might work.
* The dry process for batteries takes much less space and maybe even, speculating here, opens up access to spaces with different zoning.
* The Boring company can drill tunnels. Presumably Tesla could shift parts and partially assembled vehicles autonomously between buildings via those tunnels. Indeed one can imagine a science fiction future where the entire factory is a set of tunnels...
And, last but not least:
* Speed. Musk seems to like it. A lot.

Sadly I speak nothing but English (my daughter got the language ability) and I have no idea why he found it funny. PR is press release, public relations or Puerto Rican.

Was just being sarcastic about him thinking the media would post anything positive on Tesla. I'm still waiting for SOME media outlet to give a report on the number of deaths there have been on AP versus the # of deaths there would have been had been had humans been driving. I think the # of lives save is somewhere between 45 and 50. Do I expect that to ever actually get reported? Nope.

BTW - obviously I was right as no news site has mentioned a word about the various reports that summons has been somewhat improved.

Reactions: madodel