Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most cars (not all) I’ve seen in the showrooms are non-performance trims.
And adding $5K option on top of P pricing is likely not going to increase that proportion of sales either. People who weren’t interested in 3P is not going to now buy it because it costs $5K more.

The incremental benefit to Track Mode V2 is not increasing the revenue or margin for M3. The benefit is in showing (again) just how advanced Tesla's software and engineering capability is over OEMs. The auto magazines will love it and that shine will rub off on reviews of other Tesla variants and models. Likewise track enthusiasts putting up YT videos that will be watched by lots of potential customers for less high performance EVs. TM V.2 is just the latest example of Tesla's belief that making insanely great cars is the best and cheapest advertising.

Yeah, there's a straight give away: "Motors" are electric; "Engines" are combustion.

Nope, engines are motors too:

The Oxford English Dictionary defines “motor” as a machine that supplies motive power for a vehicle or other device with moving parts.​

So an engine is a combustion motor.

Quite clever for them to have picked the "General Motors" future-proof name a 112 years ago.

Last edited:
We got the below email to our Tesla app inbox last night and I gotta say, I would actually take my car in for a rear bumper replacement if it can really be done that quickly. My supremely intelligent, beautiful beyond words, soulmate wife of mine MAY have scuffed our rear bumper a few years ago at a camp ground. It’s not bad enough for either of us to care tremendously, but the rest of the car is basically flawless, so it does stick out when the rest of the car is clean.

Having this type of break/fix repair done at Tesla, while they upgrade our MCU1>2 and drop in our AP3 chip is mighty tempting.

Again, how many folks like us who would say, “I’m not taking my time to do the whole body shop thing... but if I need to stop in for <minor thing anyway>, maybe I just ask them to replace that side mirror I knicked on a garage wall the other month...”

A92A0981-5AA8-4E70-AE21-5B369ED1AEDC.jpeg

Tesla once again demonstrating amazing agility and flexibility. I doubt any other manufacturers could have reverted to such a deprecated central processor.

What I'm unclear on is whether Tesla informed the new owners of these cars when they took delivery, if not then that's unprofessional and they should be more transparent in future, if they did then it's a masterstroke.

also, Tesla has less moving parts to worry about in terms of supply chain disruptions.

• Helpful
Reactions: madodel
Id like to see dark green for three months, chocolate brown for three months, amethyst and copper for three months. Maybe let people vote on twitter to choose one of three colors for a month or two.
Not worth the hassle for Tesla. Maybe they could offer factory wraps.

Telling people to get a $3k-$6k wrap is like telling customers to go get a BMW or Porsche. Some will take you up on the suggestion.
If you want a unique color get a wrap. It will actually be more unique and it can easily be changed, unlike a paint job. Tesla charges $2K for red on a Model 3, what do you think they'd charge for a low demand color on an S or X?

If you want a unique color get a wrap. It will actually be more unique and it can easily be changed, unlike a paint job. Tesla charges $2K for red on a Model 3, what do you think they'd charge for a low demand color on an S or X?

I think I recall from my previous stalking the other colors were about the price of the blue option, $1.5k. Red was always the most expensive choice.

Hmm, I missed that idea. That could actually work, so long as people know that it's limited and there's no guarantees you'll be able to get it if you're late to order. :)

And as long customers are made aware that they might experience delayed repair times if they buy one of the "special" colors and get in a fender-bender. Because I really don't think it's in Tesla's best interest to be increasing the number of large parts that need to be stocked worldwide.