Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People don't want an ICE rental.

True. My wife's 2018 RWD Model 3 recently needed its first attention since new (1 year and 10 months) because the driver restraint system threw an error code and Tesla Service needed to replace the seatbelt pre-tensioner. We felt slighted they gave us a P85D with air suspension as a loaner. The difference between that and our two Model 3's was stark! Tesla has come a long way since 2015!

Had they given us an ICE loaner I would have felt even more under-appreciated.

Here's the cool thing. My wife left a nearly $400 radar detector w/ suction cup mount in the P85D loaner car when she returned it. We didn't notice it missing for two weeks. Since we hadn't heard anything from Tesla we just assumed it was long gone. But when she inquired about it, they said they would look around. Lo and behold, they called her back and said she could pick it up anytime! :)

This was our one and only Tesla service experience with two Tesla (1 1/2 years and 2 years) and it was excellent!:cool:

Well then, get with the program! How are we going to be able to appraise the expected safety ratings of the Model Y if we don't understand the difference between tensile strength, yield strength and annealing/quench hardening? And how can we make suggestions to Tesla on how to improve the mechanical properties of their cars? /s
We must study metallurgy to understand Tesla's leader....
Elon Musk on Twitter

True. My wife's 2018 RWD Model 3 recently needed its first attention since new (1 year and 10 months) because the driver restraint system threw an error code and Tesla Service needed to replace the seatbelt pre-tensioner. We felt slighted they gave us a P85D with air suspension as a loaner. The difference between that and our two Model 3's was stark! Tesla has come a long way since 2015!

Had they given us an ICE loaner I would have felt even more under-appreciated.

Here's the cool thing. My wife left a nearly $400 radar detector w/ suction cup mount in the P85D loaner car when she returned it. We didn't notice it missing for two weeks. Since we hadn't heard anything from Tesla we just assumed it was long gone. But when she inquired about it, they said they would look around. Lo and behold, they called her back and said she could pick it up anytime! :)

This was our one and only Tesla service experience with two Tesla (1 1/2 years and 2 years) and it was excellent!:cool:

I really think Tesla had some issues going on in 2015. Maybe it was trying to get the X finished up. I'm not sure, but I have twice had a 2015 S as a loaner for our very late 2014 S and both were terrible. Just didn't feel as solid as our car. Maybe it was because they were loaners and had been driven hard - not sure.

And it's funny you mentioned leaving the radar detector in the loaner. I did the SAME EXACT THING with a pair of $300 shoes. Strangely, I remembered it only 4 hours later and when I called them, there was no sign of them anywhere they said. How could you get your radar detector back, but I couldn't get back my USED SHOES!!

Looks like Tesla's down bigly today, as I expected. What with the terrible disappointing news of impending game-changing battery technology and early Model Y deliveries :(.
dd.gif

Some things I would like to see or answered in GM's presentation
1 battery source or factory
2 evidence that these will not be merely compliance cars including geographic distribution, price and volume production
3 price and specs that will compete with ICE versions from both GM and others.
4 price and specs that may attract EV buyers even if not equal to Tesla
5 OTA integrated system
6 address dealer issues maybe like Saturn
7 long distance charging
I'm not holding my breath however.

Now that the competition has shown their cards, analysts are starting to wake up to the fact that Tesla is doing some pretty impressive things to get the range, performance, and price numbers they are achieving. I think battery investor day is going to remove any remaining doubt that not only is Tesla far ahead, but also pulling away. I'm not sure if a battery investor day jaw dropper or two is built into the share price.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Perhaps - even though Uber is ICE. They could make the rental optional.

People with kids can't really use Uber.

Anyway, back on topic, upgrading HW3 won't be that cheap. We have to account for 2 days of Uber, the HW itself and labor. Also, its clear Tesla won't be recognizing FSD revenue in Q1.
Yeah. It's already a pain moving my booster seats out of my car when it's in for service. Doing that for a day or 2 with multiple Ubers is not something I'd be happy with. Fortunately I've always had a loaner.
Now that the competition has shown their cards, analysts are starting to wake up to the fact that Tesla is doing some pretty impressive things to get the range, performance, and price numbers they are achieving. I think battery investor day is going to remove any remaining doubt that not only is Tesla far ahead, but also pulling away. I'm not sure if a battery investor day jaw dropper or two is built into the share price.
I don't think it's priced in. IMO nobody gives Tesla value on things they hint at or claim to be working on.

Perhaps the more bullish price targets, but not the market.
For a short time long ago they offered any custom color for $10,000. I believe George R. R. Martin did this to get a factory purple Model S.
They should have told him he couldn't have that until he finished his GD books.

Yeah. It's already a pain moving my booster seats out of my car when it's in for service. Doing that for a day or 2 with multiple Ubers is not something I'd be happy with. Fortunately I've always had a loaner.

I don't think it's priced in. IMO nobody gives Tesla value on things they hint at or claim to be working on.

Perhaps the more bullish price targets, but not the market.

They should have told him he couldn't have that until he finished his GD books.

Only had two services but each time I made sure to let the advisor know that I have 2 car seats to push for a loaner.

Apparently Netherlands is offering 4k Euros for any EV 45k Euros and below. Unfortunately, the cheapest Tesla Model 3 in Netherlands costs 48,980 Euros. :rolleyes: I wonder if any other car manufacturers had input on how this incentive was setup for distribution....

Kabinet: 4000 euro subsidie op middenklasse elektrische auto
Time for Tesla to release a software limited version for 45k Euros and then offer upgrades after the fact. ;)

Some things I would like to see or answered in GM's presentation
1 battery source or factory
2 evidence that these will not be merely compliance cars including geographic distribution, price and volume production
3 price and specs that will compete with ICE versions from both GM and others.
4 price and specs that may attract EV buyers even if not equal to Tesla
5 OTA integrated system
6 address dealer issues maybe like Saturn
7 long distance charging
I'm not holding my breath however.

1 - LG
2 - None
3 - 28K, not true of course
4 - see 3.
5 - LOL
6 - See 5
7 - Wat?

Any chance this relatively sucky TSLA stock today is due to the upcoming GM EV day? I dont expect them to achieve much, or even promise much, but maybe enough people have bought into the 'COMPETITION IS COMING' hype for it to make people at least delay a TSLA buy until they see what GM have?