Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
newsparliament.com: Tesla won court case in China

Tesla confirmed it put in 2.5 processors in new MIC Model 3 due to chain problems from the coronavirus.

The company won the court case from owners in China who discovered the older chip.

Tesla stated it will upgrade to 3.0 without cost.

Tesla once again demonstrating amazing agility and flexibility. I doubt any other manufacturers could have reverted to such a deprecated central processor.

What I'm unclear on is whether Tesla informed the new owners of these cars when they took delivery, if not then that's unprofessional and they should be more transparent in future, if they did then it's a masterstroke.

newsparliament.com: Tesla won court case in China

Tesla confirmed it put in 2.5 processors in new MIC Model 3 due to chain problems from the coronavirus.

The company won the court case from owners in China who discovered the older chip.

Tesla stated it will upgrade to 3.0 without cost.

Best possible outcome. Everybody wins. Man, that was fast..

ED: Actually, I'm kind of dubious of this article. Sounds like a bad translation. First three paragraphs:

---
Tesla has published that it put in older, slower processors in new automobiles as a result of provide chain problems led to by means of the coronavirus outbreak.

The company had won court cases from house owners of latest Model 3 cars in China who discovered their automobiles’ computer systems used the older chip.

In a observation, Tesla stated it will improve the {hardware} without cost, when provides allowed.
---

Clearly Google Translate or similar. I'm thinking that "won court cases from house owners" might actually be more like "was the target of lawsuits from private buyers"

Most manufacturers have several months of inventory on lots, and factories on the same continent as the cars are sold. If inventory of a given colour starts running low in a given area, it's no problem to make more. Tesla, however, has to try to estimate how many of each possible config will be bought in what market, 1-2 months in advance. It's a much harder inventory problem. Reducing the number of colours is extremely useful to Tesla in this regard.

Once Tesla has a factory on each continent, then and only then might I expect more colours. Even then, though, the lack of dealership-lot inventory will always make it a harder challenge for Tesla than for others.

But wait a second, for the US market at least, and even to a certain extent for overseas, aren't Tesla's still made almost to order? I can go to the Tesla website and it initially prompts me to go 'customize my order' more than inventory (with it being the eye catching white background button vs. the outlined button).

I was also under the impression that the inventory models are largely the most popular ones/ones that were custom ordered before, but the person cannex'ed for some reason or another.

I know that people are often 'matched' to their custom order if one exists in inventory, but that still wouldn't really point against gaining more color choices. Just more uncommon to match, but at the same time, if the option is there, perhaps someone shopping for an inventory car would choose the Green one vice a White one, if it's better located to them, or something.

Tesla once again demonstrating amazing agility and flexibility. I doubt any other manufacturers could have reverted to such a deprecated central processor.

What I'm unclear on is whether Tesla informed the new owners of these cars when they took delivery, if not then that's unprofessional and they should be more transparent in future, if they did then it's a masterstroke.

Well... Had any other OEM made a drop in upgrade for an existing module (this is the whole AP unit, not just the chip), they likely could have performed the same regression.
Maybe...
I suffered collateral damage when an OEM couldn't even swap in the same module.

Addendum: If people want custom colors, they can get a wrap.
Twitter
Twitter
SmartSelect_20200304-073227_Firefox.jpg SmartSelect_20200304-073328_Firefox.jpg

But wait a second, for the US market at least, and even to a certain extent for overseas, aren't Tesla's still made almost to order?

According to Tesla, they're not. Haven't been since early 2018. My VIN, for example, didn't get allocated when the car was built at the factory; it was allocated when the container ship carrying my car left from Europe to Iceland.

Orders already on the books gives Tesla a minimum of specific configs that they need to manufacture, but they also have to manufacture for the expected orders that will be placed before delivery. It's not too hard doing this in North America, but it's much harder in Europe, where you have manufacturing orders -> manufacturing -> collecting at Pier 80 waiting for loading on the next ship -> 3 weeks shipping -> unloading -> shipping to specific countries -> delivery to customers. European deliveries are overwhelmingly in the last month, and particularly the last couple weeks, but vehicles are shipped out roughly evenly over the first two months, with shipping to Europe usually stopping about a week before the end of the second month. With the actual decisions about what cars to make probably being nearly a week before that.

Basically, unless the quarter sells out, Tesla normally has to speculate on what orders they'll get in the second half of the quarter. If they have no order carryover from the previous quarter, then Tesla has to speculate on half of the quarter's orders.

It's of course not so bad in North America. But as TSLAQ is so fond of pointing out, it still leads to "cars being stored in parking lots", cars that aren't spoken for because they're a config that wasn't ordered in the last week or two.

Last edited:
But wait a second, for the US market at least, and even to a certain extent for overseas, aren't Tesla's still made almost to order?
That hasn't been true for a couple of years at least. Tesla makes the cars based on their best guess in batches and matches your order to cars being produced. If they get it right, there is almost no practical difference.

Good we get to see more ideas and prototypes...

Five quatloos says that they announce plans to "eventually totally eliminate combustion vehicles from their lineup".

Maybe there will be a plan to build a Gigafactory that produces as many cells as GF1, reaching full production X years from now (*handwave over the fact that Tesla will be dramatically expanding over the next X years*)

In other news, Tesla has updated their Inventory vehicle market to be searchable by FSD/Autopilot/Original Autopilot, when before it was just searchable by Autopilot and not FSD (for some reason).

They've also listed "fleet vehicles" and one particular model is listed as "Has damage disclosure" next to a sparkle emoji for some reason. It's particularly noteworthy that this vehicle is the #2 most expensive model in the line up at $110.4k USD. Upon clicking said model for more detail, it no longer lists any reference to damage, or explains what said damage is.

All page, bottom blue model;
New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

Detail page;
2020 Model S | Tesla

I figured out where the BMW designers found their inspiration...

View attachment 517737

View attachment 517738

I'll see your ugly BMW and raise you a $2M ICE Bentley.

MW-IB355_bentle_20200303114917_ZH.jpg

Dubbed the Bacalar — sharing its name with a lake in Mexico’s Yucatán Peninsula — the 12-cylinder, roofless beauty is about as exclusive as they come. Not just because of the insane $2-million price tag, but also because production is limited to just a dozen cars. And they are sold out already.

Bacalar is a rare and remarkable Bentley, and whilst clearly defined, will be an extraordinary and collaborative experience for just twelve discerning people who will now co-create, collect, drive and treasure one of 12 being built,” Bentley Chairman and CEO Adrian Hallmark said in a release.

I'm just not feeling creative vibe on this one.

They do not need to have a model Y on display. They are sold out for months. Putting a Y out will just reduce sales of the 3. Maybe mid summer is tight for that.

I think you are likely right as to timing for putting Y in showrooms. However, now that we have seen more clearly the MY is noticeably higher and larger inside than M3, I think we may see a bigger (% wise) osborning of MX than of M3. I'm more confident of the former than the latter. There will still be customers whose needs and desire for a large, luxury SUV justify the higher price of MX. But I'm guessing there will be plenty of customers who seeing MY and MX side to side will decide that a much cheaper but somewhat smaller UV makes sense for their needs and pocketbook. It will be interesting to see how as MY ramps up to meet the CUV demand how much that reduces M3 demand. If demand for M3 with Y available still exceeds production then there's little or no osborning effect.

Five quatloos says that they announce plans to "eventually totally eliminate combustion vehicles from their lineup".

Maybe there will be a plan to build a Gigafactory that produces as many cells as GF1, reaching full production X years from now (*handwave over the fact that Tesla will be dramatically expanding over the next X years*)
Yap, it will be something to say “see we can do it too, Tesla isn’t special”
Other tactics include slowing Tesla down in legislation and FUD.

but I hope they are serious and can show a clear path to full electrification. We’ve just been burned too many times by all these companies making false promises.

I don’t expect them to show a vertically integrated path of Tesla though.

Yap, it will be something to say “see we can do it too, Tesla isn’t special”
Other tactics include slowing Tesla down in legislation and FUD.

but I hope they are serious and can show a clear path to full electrification. We’ve just been burned too many times by all these companies making false promises.

I don’t expect them to show a vertically integrated path of Tesla though.
And they’ll look terrible when Tesla announces their 350 wh/kg battery (*speculation*) in a month. I expect Tesla will have THAT one tied up nice and tight with patents.

Parts are not stored painted.

Each batch of cars of the same color are a slightly different shade.

Cars in the sun fade.

Every time a new part is installed on a car it must be color matched and custom painted for that particular car.

Adding colors adds complexity to the paint booth but does nothing for adding complexity for storing parts.

Since Q1 is seasonally the lowest demand I would like to see a rotating 6th color every Q1 to boost demand.

Telling people to get a $3k-$6k wrap is like telling customers to go get a BMW or Porsche. Some will take you up on the suggestion.

One might suggest they offer "Capital Gains Tax Free Green" every Q1.

Maybe they announce (Ahem) use of Tesla drivetrain in their EVs? :)