Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ohhhh graphs! Can you answer the following for me; I've had these questions bouncing around in my head ever since I got my MX:

1. On a long road trip, disregarding biological breaks, is it actually more time-efficient to maintain charge between ~10-60% battery to maximize supercharging speeds (even if it means having to stop more often at more superchargers)?

2. Your exampe of 60%-90% basically stays out of the maximum supercharging speeds. If you maintain maximal supercharging speeds (i.e. - 100+kwh), is it most efficient time-wise to just drive as fast as possible?
It depends. Most stops on trips are 15 minutes, they would also be 15 minutes if no charging took place. 15 minutes appears to be enough to get to the next SC, with some exceptions where the distance is too far. Charging faster wouldn't help since that's not the longest part of the stop. Because the battery produces more heat while driving when the SOC is below 50%, the extra heat might cause the charging rate to be reduced. So depending upon your speed, SC distance, and the terrain or weather conditions any arbitrary strategy might or might not be faster. YMMV

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog
A long wheel base 3 says a couple of things. (Assuming not photoshopped)

Information leaks are no longer a problem.

When there is a leak we can be confident it’s intentional.

And it means we have no clue what other surprises are in store. I like that. It means shorts are walking blindfold through a mine field.
Protecting a secret project that only a few people know about e.g. roadster ii is completely different from protecting a company wide email blast

Also, what is the 2nd car? It has a different window profile...

View attachment 448108
Obviously, Elon has perfected the technology of liquid metal. The car can be whatever shape the local market demands.
43A5ADD4-AB33-42D2-85EF-331817DE3F65.jpeg

I don't know how much money they save in Panama - but I doubt it is more than what they have to pay for trucking.

So, I guess the main saving is in time - may be about 10 days ? That improves their cash flow and working capital requirements a little. But I doubt they will switch over to this method of transport to EU. Probably only for the 3rd month.
Found a calculator, not sure how accurate it is (Need someone with Cargo Tanker knowledge to fill it)

Panama Toll Calculator

@10 cars per truck - they would have to send 300 trucks per ship.
9 cars per truck for U.S. team driver transport trucks:

"An American commercial car carrier typically fits between 5 and 9 cars, depending on the car size and trailer model (capacity is limited by an 80,000 lb weight cap that a road vehicle is subject to under U.S. law."​

Note that the total capacity of 9 cars includes 1 carried over the truck cab, which of course won't work with current Tesla Semi's, due to the aero fairing.

Tesla Cars Could Deliver Themselves In ~1 Year (If Regulators Approved), Tesla Buys Trucking Companies In The Meantime | CleanTechnica

Anyway, they are already sending a lot more for US deliveries, I guess.

ps : Looks like they are hyper-winding the wave, rather than unwinding it.

Or, the production rate has increased and so has shipping. Don't think of it as a wave, think of it as a tsunami flood.

Likely 7K Model 3s per week right now, headed to 10K/wk by 2020Q1.

Cheers!