Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IIHS test highest volumes car first AND vehicles donated by the OEM.

Evidently, Tesla doesn't donate vehicles. Everybody pays list.
IIRC don't they refuse to directly take donated vehicles, to avoid getting specially enhanced vehicles for testing? I think they may accept monetary donation earmarked for buying a specific model anonymously as a regular buyer would though, which is probably how the etron gets tested ...

It's still Tesla's choice not to help things along in this scenario but it costs them more than just the car itself would (have to give up the margin, too)

Got up this morning and started reading into "Tesla insurance". Underwhelming for sure. Kinda like the model Y unveil .
But at the moment, it lacks something disruptive, something that other uve companies don't do.
Large multi-line, multi-state carriers like State Farm, USAA, Farmers, etc. offer Significant bundling discounts. Hard to be competitive unless they misprice the risk. Lots of sharks in the fronting game.

Long wheelbase Model 3 being tested, spotted in China

C327A8B4-3861-40C5-8B49-4C423DD6F626.jpeg

WOW! It's really hard to get the perspective on that, but is it not the case that many folks in China who can afford a car can also afford a driver, thus tend to sit in the back seat? Would be quite the shocker if they surprise with this edition for the local market.

Also, AFAIK another big factor is that for much of China's modern history 90%+ of the population couldn't afford a car and didn't have a driving license. More widespread private car ownership is a phenomenon of the last 20-30 years.

So a large demographic of wealthy 50+ Chinese simply cannot drive or doesn't have much practice driving - and it's typically younger family members that drive them around. In European and American premium cars it's front seat comfort that matters most - in China it's the back seats.

This is why there's a long wheelbase version of all the German cars as well, specifically for the Chinese market - with allows for generous back space.

Indeed, Model S is way better for Autobahn. I took my P85 regularly over 200kmph and often to the max of 213 and it was very stable. MX gets a bit "light" over 200, went up to 240 the once, but it's not a speed I would like to maintain. I find cruising in the 160-180 range the best.

My strategy on Autobahn is to drive as fast as I possibly can to the next Supercharger - in any case, one of wife, kids or dogs need to pee, so have to stop anyway.

Note that unlike gascars where driving them faster almost always gets you to your final destination faster, for EVs, somewhat counterintuitively, there's a practical speed limit defined by the average charging speed of the Supercharger you will recharge at: if you drive faster than this speed then you'll increase the total time spent driving and recharging.

For example if your next Supercharger session is going to charge you from 60% SoC to 90% with an average charging speed of 45 kWh (starting at 60 kW then gradually tapering down to 30 kW), and if we consider the Model S constant speed power consumption graph:
s75d_grande.png

Then driving faster than ~160 km/h will probably increase total travel time. If we also consider the more dynamic acceleration+braking cycles that high speed driving on the Autobahn requires, then with such a charging session there's probably diminishing returns at speeds over 140 km/h. (!)

If you allow the SoC drop much lower, and increase the recharging speed accordingly, then high speed driving makes more sense - but I suspect it requires 150-200 kW charging for 200 km/h peak velocities to reduce the true total travel time measurably.

The travel time optimization gets more complex if you have a fixed time quota until the next biologically forced charging stop :) - but even then it probably doesn't make sense to go beyond 200 km/h on the Autobahn, as power consumption increases sharply due to drag increasing quadratically with speed.

Note that unlike gascars where driving them faster almost always gets you to your final destination faster, for EVs, somewhat counterintuitively, there's a practical speed limit defined by the average charging speed of the Supercharger you will recharge at: if you drive faster than this speed then you'll increase the total time spent driving and recharging.

For example if your next Supercharger session is going to charge you from 60% SoC to 90% with an average charging speed of 45 kWh (starting at 60 kW then gradually tapering down to 30 kW), and if we consider the Model S constant speed power consumption graph:
s75d_grande.png

Then driving faster than ~160 km/h will probably increase total travel time. If we also consider the more dynamic acceleration+braking cycles that high speed driving on the Autobahn requires, then with such a charging session there's probably diminishing returns at speeds over 140 km/h. (!)

If you allow the SoC drop much lower, and increase the recharging speed accordingly, then high speed driving makes more sense - but I suspect it requires 150-200 kW charging for 200 km/h peak velocities to reduce the true total travel time measurably.

The travel time optimization gets more complex if you have a fixed time quota until the next biologically forced charging stop :) - but even then it probably doesn't make sense to go beyond 200 km/h on the Autobahn, as power consumption increases sharply due to drag increasing quadratically with speed.

Ohhhh graphs! Can you answer the following for me; I've had these questions bouncing around in my head ever since I got my MX:

1. On a long road trip, disregarding biological breaks, is it actually more time-efficient to maintain charge between ~10-60% battery to maximize supercharging speeds (even if it means having to stop more often at more superchargers)?

2. Your exampe of 60%-90% basically stays out of the maximum supercharging speeds. If you maintain maximal supercharging speeds (i.e. - 100+kwh), is it most efficient time-wise to just drive as fast as possible?

Am I the only one who cares that I-40 also has a hole that can be filled by a single SC near Fort Smith, Arkansas? Maybe not the "last big hole" but to many traveling east-west in the lower 48, filling this hole on I-40 is much more useful than the North Dakota route. No disrespect to ND intended.
@pnungesser
And I-40 east out of Asheville, NC is both fun and hair raising, hauling down that mountain!

Reactions: HG Wells