Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The inventory issue explains why they should be cashflow positive this quarter when they were not last quarter, but it doesn't affect profitability - building excess cars does not directly impact profits because the value of the cars remains on the balance sheet and is not a loss, but it does of course affect cashflow.

Ok, Thanks! I got it. So selling those 14k inventory cars means we can get the profit on them (20%) of around 140M, meaning still 560M profit to find. 188M costs were non recurring, but that's still a chunk to make up. Now I understand.

Reactions: neroden and izemize
Ummm, that quote left some words out.

Granted, they didn't talk much about the 204 mile range on a 95kwh battery and how the Model X is considerably larger at the same price point. So I'm not really defending CR but I hate it when anyone edits a quote like this. It reads completely differently in its full form.

The full quote is even worse in my book:

"Unlike some other EVs we’ve recently tested, the E-Tron doesn't lunge off from a stop; it has a more leisurely rollout. That’s appropriate for a luxury vehicle, but drivers should be aware of it if they try to jump into a line of traffic or merge from a stop. On the plus side, there is no spinning of wheels that we have experienced in some other EVs, such as the Hyundai Kona EV. (Because EVs have so much power right away, their tires can spin faster than they can gain traction.) Once the E-Tron is moving, drivers get smooth and effortless power on demand, at any speed."​

and I find it incredible how CR was able to, with a straight face, list poorer acceleration as a "luxury" advantage, ignoring that:
  • Better acceleration combined with traction control is a safety feature, it can save the car and passengers from serious accidents, even if the driver is careful, as it happened recently with a Model 3:
  • Tesla owner taps into his Model 3's instant torque to evade out-of-control car:
  • "At the rightmost lane, a Honda Accord violently slammed into the right wall, and because of the impact, the Japanese sedan bounced off and veered towards the left lane, straight into the Model 3."
  • There's also a YouTube video about a Tesla avoiding a rear end crash narrowly through emergency acceleration:
  • Will Consumer Reports acknowledge that the eTron would not have been able to evade these accidents? Rhetorical question...
  • But even if poorer acceleration is a "luxury" feature, it can be activated on Teslas with "Chill Mode". Why pretend that it is unique to the eTron?
I find it entirely inappropriate for a supposedly independent consumer advocacy group to show such level of ignorance and open bias in their reviews.

Last edited:
Ok, Thanks! I got it. So selling those 14k inventory cars means we can get the profit on them (20%) of around 140M, meaning still 560M profit to find. 188M costs were non recurring, but that's still a chunk to make up. Now I understand.

It doesn't work like that, because there will be new inventory/in transit at the end of Q2 replacing the sold inventory/in transit at the end of Q1. What does influece profit is the number of cars sold. In Q3 that was 63k, if Q2 is - say - 93k, then they will have sold an extra 30k. It depends on the ASP and margin on the total mix how much extra profit that brings in.

The inventory issue explains why they should be cashflow positive this quarter when they were not last quarter, but it doesn't affect profitability - building excess cars does not directly impact profits because the value of the cars remains on the balance sheet and is not a loss, but it does of course affect cashflow.
Tesla makes money selling cars (and energy products), reducing sales numbers must impact profits.

Q1: Selling less cars (whether made or not) and thus not receiving revenue from them impacts overal profitability.

Q2: Selling more cars (regardless of when they were made) boosts the automotive gross profit total, automotive net profit total, and thus bottom line.

Q1: $1.09 billion in operating expense, $4.5 billion total revenue, on 12k S/X deliveries, 51k 3 deliveries +TE. $522 million operating loss

Q4: $1.02B opEx, $7.22B Revenue, 27.7k S/X 63.3k 3 deliveries. $414M operating profit

Gotta sell the widgets to make the money.

As to others saying Q1 2019 was the worst ever, Q1 2018 was a $597 million operating loss. Compared to that, YoY operating loss improved 13% and operating margin improved 6%. The quarter ended with 30 days of inventory.

For several years it could not be more plain that Tamberrino is manipulating the TSLA SP with his reports. How he has not been stopped by GS and the SEC is beyond disgraceful.

The timing of this particular report highlights how much the manipulation is tied to call selling. I suspect that the bulk of short profits is made not directly by lowered SP, but indirectly by profiting from calls sold.
Baird analyst came out with a report this am. Upgrading Tesla. Hasn’t hit main news feeds yet
Anyone have a link to Baird's report? TIA

BTW., Consumer Reports (surprise) writes a gushing recommendation for the eTron:

In the eTron recommendation CR 'failed' to hold against Audi a number of things they listed as a concern for the Model 3: production issues (which the eTron has currently), range and efficiency (which is subpar for the eTron), nor the fire risk related eTron recall, which I suppose should have been a factor in its 'reliability' and 'safety' score"?

Instead:

"Reviewers from the organization proved impressed with the all-electric SUV, noting that the vehicle “takes charge among new EVs.”"​

And the lackluster acceleration of the eTron was spun positively too:

Quite interestingly, the e-tron’s rather leisurely acceleration, which was less aggressive than other electric cars such as the Model 3, was dubbed as “appropriate” considering the SUV’s luxury segment. “Unlike some other EVs we’ve recently tested, the E-Tron doesn’t lunge off from a stop; it has a more leisurely rollout. That’s appropriate for a luxury vehicle… On the plus side, there is no spinning of wheels that we have experienced in some other EVs… Once the E-Tron is moving, drivers get smooth and effortless power on demand, at any speed,” Consumer Reports noted.​

Because Consumer Reports reviewers would have been unable to activate "Chill Mode" on a Tesla to simulate an eTron, right?

You cannot make this up - their review reads almost as an Onion article. It's almost as if Consumer Reports was now acting as a marketing and PR arm of Audi.

In other news, Consumer Reports CEO and President Marta L. Tellado:

worked as "Vice President Global Communications, Ford Foundation, 2004–2014, 10 years, Greater New York City Area":

While the Ford Foundation has no official ties to the Ford Motor company today anymore, and CR's sympathy towards gascar makers and apparent antipathy towards Tesla might just be a coincidence, but it's a small world, isn't it? :D

Anyway, all the CR apologists here who argued that CR is simply being tough to Tesla in interest of their subscribers should read the eTron review and compare it to their Tesla coverage ...

Infomercial - they did it too obviously.
Slow acceleration - that’s a good thing.
Less range - that’s perfect, longer range is a waste.
Fire risk - we reserve that word only for Tesla.
Production issues - don’t mention anything negative in infomercials.

Money talks, anyone who doesn’t believe it is simply naive.

Another day, another clueless Times article, this one brought to you by SuperCruise.

Driverless Cars May Be Coming, but Let’s Not Get Carried Away

Clueless example 1

“The A.I. system, unless it’s fed with hundreds of millions of examples, can’t pick that up, because it doesn’t think. It just pattern-matches,” Mr. Pratt said.

Yes, this is why Tesla Fleet feeding data into their software solves this, and will leapfrog everyone.

Clueless example 2

“The joy of driving a car is something that is incredibly innate and precious, and we don’t think that’s under threat at all,” he said.

At this point, I enjoy driving with autopilot on much more than having to deal with driving manually. Driving is totally under threat. Autopilot is a joy!

With articles like this, the majority of investors have no clue what's coming.

I'd assign something like <1% chance of Seba's prediction being true. There is no way world can produce that many EVs by 2025. Essentially the demand has to increase 10x+ (from 3M to 40M) in 6 years. Current EV share is about 2 or 3%. I expect it to be about 15% to 25% i.e. 10M to 15M by 2025, which is quite bullish by itself at 3x growth in 6 years.

I mean, do you think all these OEMs the world over that produce <1% of EVs now, will suddenly produce 100% of EVs in 6 years, when the design of a new car takes 5 years ?!

ps : Goldman thinks in 2025 EVs will sell about 4M (from current 2M).
You are forgetting the Osborne effect The Osborne Effect On The Auto Industry | CleanTechnica

It doesn't matter how many % of ICEs OEMs can produce if people don't want to buy them.
Per that article, 2024 can be a year when it becomes obvious nobody wants them and ICE sales go down to almost nothing in 2025.

Then EV sales share can be 90% (U.S.) with the majority of consumers waiting or buying a used ICE as a temp workaround.

Last edited:
I think Tony Seba's prediction is very likely to come true, that is, "buy 2025 every new vehicle will be electric."

I used to think his prediction is too aggressive, maybe 1/3 of new vehicles will be electric by 2025. Now I think he could be right. In the next few years, EVs will continue to get better (we can see how fast Tesla is improving their cars), cost goes lower due to scale, autonomous driving may start to commercialize. Meanwhile, as ICE cars' demand goes down, their cost will go up. It's likely that by 2025 most of the vehicle demand will be EV, though supply may not be enough to meet the demand.

If 2025 EV demand is 40 million, Tesla takes 20% of the market, that would be 8 million Tesla demand per year by 2025. This is my base scenario.
@TradingInvest

That's going to need a lot of batteries, are you aware of the article on battery growth? (recent article)
Global Lithium-Ion Battery Planned Capacity Update: 9% Growth In A Single Month — March Charts! | CleanTechnica

Reactions: neroden
Infomercial - they did it too obviously.
Slow acceleration - that’s a good thing.
Less range - that’s perfect, longer range is a waste.
Fire risk - we reserve that word only for Tesla.
Production issues - don’t mention anything negative in infomercials.

Money talks, anyone who doesn’t believe it is simply naive.
Which money though? This doesn't make sense.

Consumer Reports (CR) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to unbiased product testing, investigative journalism, consumer-oriented research, public education, and consumer advocacy. ... CR is funded by subscriptions to its magazine and website, as well as through independent grants and donations.

Are you saying they got a donation from Audi?
Wondering if there's a way to verify it. Otherwise I am totally at loss why such an obvious bias.

Fastned, a fast charging network operator based in the Netherlands, opened trading on Euronext. It wasn't an IPO per se since Dutch retail investors could previously already subscribe to certificates through a boutique trading desk. Those certificates traded (with very little liquidity) at around 8-11 EUR/share for the last few years. Today, first day on Euronext the share price rose from 11 EUR at opening to 31 EUR right now (late afternoon here). Market cap is around 470M EUR for 103 in-service CCS charging stations at prime locations in the Netherlands and Germany with a further 150+ in development in the Netherlands, Germany, the UK, Switzerland and Belgium. It remains to be seen how much of that share price is just opening day excitement in a small market (volume worth of 2.4M EUR so far) or a lasting valuation.

Still, assuming Fastned is valued at $500M, how much should we value the Tesla network within Tesla? On the one hand the supercharger network is a lot bigger, but on the other hand it is restricted to one brand and (at least in Europe) not located in the same premium locations as Fastned's. Still, $2-3B just for Tesla charging network does not seem an implausible valuation?

@Antares Nebula

if you read the article, skip the comments section. too many bots replying that have low number of comments

I took the time to post correcting some of the FUD in the comments, pointing out that what's being sold in the EU is inventory S+X (incl. 75Ds, and sometimes even 85Ds), that no Ravens have been reported registered anywhere in Europe yet, that nobody has reported a Raven delivery yet, and that reports are that homologation is only due to be completed next week.

The comment posted, but then subsequently disappeared. SA sure likes to maintain its bubble. :Þ

I've been giving some thought to today's trading. Macros were positive, so TSLA really should have been positive too. The Goldman note came out before market open, affected pre-market trading, and so was obviously digested by investors. Nonetheless, TSLA recovered to the green (barely) after shrugging off the mandatory morning dip and then it traded with minimal loss until 10:30am when it started its dip. My feelings are that the shrugging off of the Goldman note and the rather benign trading until 10:30am suggests that the market really didn't take the Goldman note too seriously.

Why did we dip nearly $9 deep at one point? I see some huge selling sprees such as 55K shares between 2:50pm and 2:51pm, so I think the shorts were certainly manipulating today. The quadruple witching close of options tomorrow might be the incentive for the pushdown, which could include a combination of new positions opened short as well as day-trader type shorting. Check out tomorrow's open options:

View attachment 421489
Every put to the right of closing price tomorrow will be in the money and every call to the left of closing price tomorrow will be in the money as well. If you sold calls or bought puts (and didn't delta hedge) you're going to want the stock price to be as low as possible. Look at all the puts that will be in the money tomorrow if we close below 220. Most are already in the money, it's just a question of how much. That's a lot of incentive to push the SP lower before Friday's close. While some investors buy puts as a hedge, others buy puts to enhance their short position and it's this second group that has the inspiration to manipulate.

Will Friday signal an end of the mischief? Well, of course not. Check out the open interest chart for next Friday:

View attachment 421490

Looks like bears are hugely focused on getting TSLA below 210 next week. What on earth could lead so many traders to bet so heavily on a TSLA dip by next Friday if even Goldman is grudgingly suggesting Tesla might very well deliver 90K+ vehicles in Q2?

Let's see if we can gauge just how significant manipulations are on Friday and the coming week so that we can understand their affect upon the TSLA stock price. Also, please speak up if you see patterns of manipulation from specific individuals.
Papafox, the more I watch the SP over the years, the more I’m convinced that the bulk of the mischief is not done by pure shorts, but by sellers of options. It’s unadulterated manipulation to make money on weekly (and longer) options. There is enormous profit in this.

The shorts happily pile on, but I suspect that they don’t have nearly as much influence themselves on the SP relative to all the noise they make in the press, TSLAQ, etc.

The option sellers quietly make their money, with help from shills like Tamberrino. They don’t care one way or the other about Tesla. It’s pure greed. I suspect that most of the suspicious trades you are documenting every single day are for the purpose of profiting from weekly options.

NpoWBih.png

Surprising traffic down trend since May 27 according to Alexa.
Tesla Competitive Analysis, Marketing Mix and Traffic - Alexa