Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We really don't know how much they are unwinding. Q1 they had those "deliver them regardless of cost" things. If they stopped doing that would be somewhat unwinding.
Last China ship left on 6/4 and EU ship on 5/31. Nothing more scheduled.

So, atleast in that sense, unwinding is not happening. I doubt they will have all the problems they had last quarter delivering - so inventory in EU/China will be quite low this time around.

Only question is, till when will they keep making cars for US market and when will they switch over. Will they take off last week of June / do scheduled maintenance ? If they make EU cars the last week, that would be some 7k cars added to inventory. My guess is a slight increase in 3 inventory and a decrease in S+X. Given how late they started Raven deliveries, I'm not sure S+X production this quarter will be much different from last quarter (~14k). All the discounts should draw down pre-raven inventory.

BTW, current record (in Q4) is 90,966. So, according to EM they have a shot at beating the record - so, we should say optimistically 92k. But he thinks, if they don't make it - it will be close - so let's say 87k+.

Given the production, there can't be much inventory building.

I flew to the East Coast for a few days to visit my parents and to attend a wedding. While here I'm borrowing my mother's 3 series BMW to run errands and go about my business.

It is so hard to realize how much an ICE sucks until you've gotten used to driving an EV.

I HATE how there's a delay from when I step on the accelerator to when the car starts moving.

I HATE how jerky and uneven the acceleration feels due to gear shifting.

I HATE how totally uncontrolled and dangerous it feels to keep coasting at high speed when I take my foot off the accelerator, having to rely on friction braking to moderate my speed. I just feels like an antiquated and unreliable mechanism to me at this point.

I HATE how noisy the cabin is due to the engine.

I HATE how clunky and stupid it feels to have to switch off the ignition after I've parked.

I miss my Model 3. It is simply a hands-down, obviously superior product. I have to remind myself of that every time the TSLA price action gets me stressed. The public will come around. You can only suppress the truth for so long while there are hundreds of thousands of cars out there in the real world showing people a better way.

@capster, what do you believe Elon means by feature complete?

"Feature complete" just means that they have coded every feature that was in the specification. It doesn't mean that every feature works properly or is bug free.

Examples of features:
  • Recognize lane lines
  • Make a unprotected left turn
  • Recognize stop sign
  • Recognize traffic signals and their current state
  • Stop at yellow/red lights
  • Stop at stop signs
  • etc...
It, also, doesn't mean that every feature you end up needing has been coded. (For example if you didn't think it was needed, or didn't even known what it was yet, and didn't put it in the spec.)

Last edited:
Last China ship left on 6/4 and EU ship on 5/31. Nothing more scheduled.

So, atleast in that sense, unwinding is not happening. I doubt they will have all the problems they had last quarter delivering - so inventory in EU/China will be quite low this time around.

Only question is, till when will they keep making cars for US market and when will they switch over. Will they take off last week of June / do scheduled maintenance ? If they make EU cars the last week, that would be some 7k cars added to inventory. My guess is a slight increase in 3 inventory and a decrease in S+X. Given how late they started Raven deliveries, I'm not sure S+X production this quarter will be much different from last quarter (~14k). All the discounts should draw down pre-raven inventory.

BTW, current record (in Q4) is 90,966. So, according to EM they have a shot at beating the record - so, we should say optimistically 92k. But he thinks, if they don't make it - it will be close - so let's say 87k+.

Given the production, there can't be much inventory building.

Tesla is once again trying to capture the $3750 credit, Q3 probably will be the quarter to do the unwind since demand will drop slightly in the US and no credit phase out.

"Jennifer Bear" of PETA. You can't make this stuff up.

No, you can't make this up either:

COWSPIRACY: The Sustainability Secret

So if TSLA is to be a premium brand noted for high ethics and high quality, then it should stop using the parts of murdered animals in their interiors.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Either they're fighting for the environment, or they're not. Hypocrisy is not a core value at TSLA so they'd better fix this ASAP; every sale counts for TSLA stock valuations given the wild ride it's been on of late.

Heck, even Volvo is catching up with their vegan interiors in the Polestar brand which looks less "Geeky" than the Model 3, and is comparably priced--AND appears to be fully cruelty-free:

2021 Polestar 2 heads to Geneva Motor Show with 408 hp, vegan interior

Didn't you hear PETA lady said it is not humans it's animals causing global warming

Sigh. So much ignorance.

It's the animals being raised by humans for their later murder that's the driver in GHG emissions.

If you care about TSLA's mission, replace your ICE vehicles with EV's, get solar on your roof, and stop eating and wearing animals:

www.cowspiracy.com

is this posted? ;-)

When talking about "competition":
"There are people who buy fun cars and there are people who buy functional cars, never these two kinds of people mix, until Tesla!"

He did not even mention TCO.
7 year leads and growing...

More drama:
Netflix CEO Reed Hastings Responds To Whitney Tilson: Cover Your Short Position. Now.

With only 3 models, limited color choices, so much growth opportunity, who the f cares about GAAP+?!

just bought 50 at 216 and another 50 at 213.

My tweet on the video :)

The producers behind the scene @cnbc ..... great job, Eddie. $TSLA

I flew to the East Coast for a few days to visit my parents and to attend a wedding. While here I'm borrowing my mother's 3 series BMW to run errands and go about my business.

It is so hard to realize how much an ICE sucks until you've gotten used to driving an EV.

I HATE how there's a delay from when I step on the accelerator to when the car starts moving.

I HATE how jerky and uneven the acceleration feels due to gear shifting.

I HATE how totally uncontrolled and dangerous it feels to keep coasting at high speed when I take my foot off the accelerator, having to rely on friction braking to moderate my speed. I just feels like an antiquated and unreliable mechanism to me at this point.

I HATE how noisy the cabin is due to the engine.

I HATE how clunky and stupid it feels to have to switch off the ignition after I've parked.

I miss my Model 3. It is simply a hands-down, obviously superior product. I have to remind myself of that every time the TSLA price action gets me stressed. The public will come around. You can only suppress the truth for so long while there are hundreds of thousands of cars out there in the real world showing people a better way.

Reminiscent of the LP to CD transition. People were happy with their records... until they had compact discs:
Did not need turning over half way
Were more scratch resistant
More bump resistant (you could dance without the needle jumping)
Fit on a smaller shelf
Didn’t wear out
Were equal in quality to the master

(Please no debate from audiophiles on lossiness, the point is historical - that CDs won by being more convenient).

As Rimac knew, there will eventually be one motor per wheel. It makes the suspension more complicated, and at the moment that means more expensive. I wonder when Tesla will develop a four-motor design with low unsprung weight which they consider cheap enough to mass produce -- I'm sure every engineer working on the drivetrain wants to do that.

Rimac does not use wheel motors, they have 4 inboard motors, each with it's own gear reduction, with shafts going to the wheels, so suspension is no more complicated than what Tesla is currently using.
c_two-motors-gearboxes.jpg

I had an article show up in my Apple business news feed this morning, I refuse to link to it but it was from Quartz.
Sometimes, you just can't stay silent anymore. Calling out the blatant manipulation and falsehood:
Jim Snook on Twitter

I sat right in that meeting and heard the way the question was asked, to read an article the next day that merely uses a portion of what he said to reverse the meaning makes my blood boil!

That's great! CNET has proved over and over again that they are one of the only news sources that are positive about Tesla. Of course, it makes sense since it's a tech website. What I can't understand is why ArsTechnica, which I love and pay money to, has such a negative vibe. It must really be all about the clicks.

You can thank paragon of journalistic integrity Jonathan Gitlin for that. He's a stain on Ars' otherwise stellar reputation. (Seriously, scroll through for some real gems) Well, he and now Peter Bright after last week's revelations.

Thanks for this! This is a very useful informational video. It's also marketing. BTW, basic Tesla marketing would include readily providing links to things like this on a consolidated "PR information" page -- so reporters looking for information would find this immediately.

Interesting thing to note: these are mostly pre-Facelift. This iwhat Tesla is doing with the older lease returns and trade-ins. In case anyone was wondering why lease returns and trade-ins aren't showing up in used inventory.

It is mentioned that some Model Xes are also being converted.

I had one of these converted S vehicles come out for a tire swap earlier this year. It was a pre-facelift P85 with a bunch of dings. Surely cheaper for Tesla to return it into a mobile service vehicle and get an ICE truck off the road than to fix it up and resell.

Elon is probably optimistic in what he thinks he can deliver but in my opinion your guess/hope is wildly optimistic. ....

Lol. Yeah, I'm a bit optimistic.

I am factoring in the potential for superhuman reaction time and situational awareness on the vehicle side.

Also, I'm taking a rather uncharitable view of how much of our biological brains we humans employ much of the time when driving. That is, I think we should compare to what the actuary sees rather than what the race fan sees.

Still, it wouldn't hurt people here to read up on their Kurzweil. ;)

What I have learned is that these TSLAQ people are really "foam mouthed" fanatics who really cannot keep it straight anymore. I think a lot of them need to seek help because some of them aren't really well at all.

This pretty much is part of my investment thesis :) Sure there's some outright malicious players but I think there's also plenty of people who just can't stand someone who doesn't play by the rules and creates freely. They've denied that gift for themselves and it hurts since the gift unexpressed is a burden, it takes energy to keep it down. Seeing someone else letting 'er rip is too strong a reminder of their own condition.

OK, I went on Twitter this afternoon and saw that I had like 30 notifications! Well that never happens to me. Looking at it it was all about a reply I gave to some bloke who wanted to accelerate Tesla's demise.

My reply was just a simple question: "Why?" Tesla has about 30 thousand employees who will all lose their jobs with its demise and many more people who get in trouble because they rely on the pay cheques. Why do you want Tesla's demise?

Reading trough the many reactions people stated that they did not want Tesla's demise but that it should file for chapter 11 immediately and restructure. I mean what are these guys thinking. So Elon should file Chapeter 11 with the courts now and they really think the courts will approve? So they think Tesla cannot pay the bills now and Tesla has not a s..t load of money coming each day due to all deliveries? And if you see how many "likes" these posts get.....
Have these guys no sense of reality?

Then there was another one who said that Elon wasn't allowed to talk because of some SEC rule. I replied, since when aren't people allowed to talk? Yes, but he lies all the time.. My reply, yes he exaggerates and has his timing off but lies all the time is a bit of an exaggeration..

Then again another one. Tesla is already in demise but Wall Street doesn't know it yet. I mean, on which planet are these guys living. I just showed them all the sales from 2011 onwards and asked them what is demise in that stat. No reaction

Then there was another one who was complaining about Tesla as being a fraud employer... My reaction was then why does everyone want to work there and why does it get overall positive reviews? No answer

Oh and the biggest one was that Elon was a fraud. I asked in what way? Again he exaggerates and his timelines are off but in the end he always delivers. Yes, he also made mistakes but to call him a fraud?

What I have learned is that these TSLAQ people are really "foam mouthed" fanatics who really cannot keep it straight anymore. I think a lot of them need to seek help because some of them aren't really well at all.
It will end some day. I’m not sure if Tesla 1 million sales a year, or full self driving goes 10 or 100 billion miles without an accident, or Tesla has 20 billion in cash equivalents. I thought it would be last year with two good quarters, but they just amped up the fud. It won’t be before S&P inclusion and I’d guess they’ll sell 2 million cars in a year and Cramer will be in a loony bin before CNBC says, whoa, Tesla surpassed ford in revenue, it’s more than a cult.
I do recall a lot of anger about Toyota and Japan Inc back in the 1980’s. I’m sure a lot of Japanese imports were keyed, and then they became normal and the fear moved on to Ross Perot’s aliens or Hillary’s village healt care or the new world order. People freak out about change and a lot of people enjoy dining on the fear of others and some are just bonding with bros over some bogus stuff that’s popular to bitch about. It’ll just fade away when there’s no money in the shorts theme and the haters have a neighbor or friend gets a Tesla and it just becomes normal.

You are myopic in this sense. In my wildest picture, musk industries will produce an Army of AI controlled robots that automatically mine and colonize the entire solar system. That is value of multiple of $100T, not valuation.

Even then it's probably a better use of the excess trillions of profits to not be turned into dividends, but used for the interstellar colonization project. Even for a huge firm like Musk Industries it's a financial stretch to build a self-sustaining starship the size of a small moon.

No, you can't make this up either:

COWSPIRACY: The Sustainability Secret

So if TSLA is to be a premium brand noted for high ethics and high quality, then it should stop using the parts of murdered animals in their interiors.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Either they're fighting for the environment, or they're not. Hypocrisy is not a core value at TSLA so they'd better fix this ASAP; every sale counts for TSLA stock valuations given the wild ride it's been on of late.

Heck, even Volvo is catching up with their vegan interiors in the Polestar brand which looks less "Geeky" than the Model 3, and is comparably priced--AND appears to be fully cruelty-free:

2021 Polestar 2 heads to Geneva Motor Show with 408 hp, vegan interior

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

The S/X rear AC motors do not spin freely; the controller is set to "torque sleep". This zero net thrust mode has lower losses than the drag of an unpowered axle pulled by a powered axle. In torque sleep, most work is done by the more efficient front motor.

My point was that you can't so simply torque sleep the PMSMR motors, you have to feed them more energy to keep them spinning "freely" / smoothly than the AC motors require when they're not in use. Hence, for most normal vehicle cases, you're likely to keep seeing one "axle" be AC motor(s) and the other PMSMR for optimum efficiency.

Only in cases where you would nearly always be using all the motors all the time would it make sense to use only PMSMR (Semi is sort of this, all driven axles are PMSMR, no AC motors, though technically not AWD as the front wheels are not driven, and if they were, it *might* make sense to use PMSMR there too).

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and capster
Ihor reported TSLA shares shorted as 39m yesterday but today had to revise to close to 46m... based on yesterday's short figures released. That's a 7m error. I'm not sure if we can really trust his TSLA shares short figures anymore. 7 million share error is really big and for him to claim he's an expert using "algos" to calculate this, I'm not so sure.

I think Ihor is just guessing, I probably can guess better.

Ihor's been wrong multiple times when the official numbers come out. In fact, he's usually wrong on a monthly basis....and he's always wrong on the low end. When the official numbers come out, he's always underestimating the number of shares shorted and then he immediately puts out a tweet updating his numbers.

Either he's just clueless or he's purposely downplaying short activity to their benefit. His comments on naked shorting told me all I needed to know about how his perception of wall st shenanigans compares to real life.

Or the shorts are good at hiding their activity from the data that he has access to, and he hasn't figured out how to account for that yet...

Here's pure speculation on what he's doing, which may or may not be entirely wrong:

He likely has a model that can, for most stocks, estimate short interest based on trading patterns, and whatever data he can see.

He then extrapolates that model to TSLA (and other popular short targets), which appears to have unusual shorting activity (either stuff he can't see, or unusual patterns throwing off his model), not fitting the model (which I'm guessing is an educated guess), and he has to revise with what actually happened. However, I'd also guess that the model isn't being tuned specifically for TSLA, and therefore isn't getting any better.

If I wanted to stretch my guesses further, if it's not an insufficient data but rather a pure unusual pattern situation, I wonder if his models are underweighting the possibility of shorts selling to other shorts - that may show up in a model as covering and underestimate the count of shorted shares somehow, if he only sees part of the transaction?

The S/X rear AC motors do not spin freely; the controller is set to "torque sleep". This zero net thrust mode has lower losses than the drag of an unpowered axle pulled by a powered axle. In torque sleep, most work is done by the more efficient front motor.

The AC motor, when active, continually wastes power in the rotor. The PMSR is much higher on the efficiency curve in cruise than the AC at near idle is. So it is more efficient to drive the gearing and rotor with the front motor than to drive the rear motor electrically.
See also @wk057's investigation showing the motors turn off:
Let the hacking begin... (Model S parts on the bench)

Yeah, I would be very surprised by torque sleep being a powered coasting mode, especially given the descriptions of behavior coming out of torque sleep. On an AC induction motor, you'd just cut the field current, and the motor will coast with only bearing/gear drag.

(There is an electric bicycle vendor, Grin Technologies, playing with powered coasting (with the addition of regenning while powering the same motor). However, they're using a surface permanent magnet motor, which has extremely high cogging torque due to the magnet configuration. It'll be interesting to see how well that works in practice, but it's essentially irrelevant to anything Tesla is doing.)

The Roadster2 likely won't have a AC motor in the front. It achieves both a 1.9 sec 0-60 performance and a 250+ mph top speed. AC motors don't allow this range of performance with a single speed drive.

Further, we saw the Roadster do 0-70mph 'wind-sprints' for an hour at the reveal event. An AC motor would melt doing this demonstration. The simpliest explanation for all these capabilities is that there are three Model 3 SRPM motors in the Roadster2.
Although part of the advantage of the AC induction machine is that at higher speeds, it can freewheel, as the PMSRMs get into their stride at higher speeds (and traction becomes less of an issue, so AWD is less necessary). Cooling is an issue, but...

Rimac uses four permanent magnet motors, but they need a 2-speed gearbox on the rears...

Three motors is still clearly an interim step. As Rimac knew, there will eventually be one motor per wheel. It makes the suspension more complicated, and at the moment that means more expensive. I wonder when Tesla will develop a four-motor design with low unsprung weight which they consider cheap enough to mass produce -- I'm sure every engineer working on the drivetrain wants to do that.

I do wonder how long before someone clones Honda's Sport Hybrid SH-AWD system, for things like that, if it's decided that a 2-speed is needed: Sport Hybrid SH-AWD System Animation

The shared shifting mechanism seems like a rather clever cost/weight optimization to get a 2-speed reduction box for very high speed operation. Rimac uses two independent 2-speed reduction boxes (one per rear wheel), for comparison, although they advertise the ability for each to be shifted independently based on demand.