Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want to be made aware of how idiotic ALL the talking heads on every media are:
A damn rearview mirror is NOT used when correctly/safely backing up. Especially in a shltshow of a rearview that the cyberNOTAtruck has. Do these fools listen to what they say?
A rearview just helps you keep aware of traffic behind you. And put on your lipstick.
Damn fools make a big deal of the view through the rearview mirror to back up are the extreme form of a goober.

Now more reality: Even backing up while using the proper form of turning your head around and looking out the rearview window aren't going to see Shlt. And pick up drivers already know this. Backing up my pick up is best done by getting a lay of the land before I even get close to where I want the truck to back up into. I then get landmarks and drive according to them while NOT seeing the area I am entering.
It is just going to be worse in the Cyber. The rearview camera is like a godsend for backing up pick-ups. A bird's eye view "camera" would improve the safety even more. Why hasn't Tesla released software to have bird's eye view? especially with this blind hind-sighted beast.

TLDR:
A rearview mirror is not used while backing up a vehicle unless you are a complete idiot. And is NOT a talking point except by idiots.

Q4 should be a record quarter. 2023 should be a record year. 1.8M should be achieved and surpassed. Highland + China price increases roll into the mix, with Highland near fully ramped. COG decreasing. Margins should increase. Interest rates likely holding or dropping.

I see green over the next few months.
Have they already delivered to non-employees?
I see sandy has one but he could be a contractor somehow?

I think the thing many are looking at is whether or not the COGs for cybertruck get added to balance sheet in Q4 vs Q1. Was reading here I believe a note by @The Accountant that if the deliveries in TX and CA in December are at all to non-employees that it would trigger the COGs to be added for the R&D Q4 vs sometime in Q1.
I’m curious if employee deliveries payments and units sold are counted to the bottom line?
Where are we at with all of that and how might it effect EPS?

. The rearview camera is like a godsend for backing up pick-ups. A bird's eye view "camera" would improve the safety even more. Why hasn't Tesla released software to have bird's eye view? especially with this blind hind-sighted beast.
I have a car with bird's eye view. Pretty much unusable. On the two Teslas I've had I've always used the rear camera. It has worked great. I tell people that the Tesla is the easiest car to park. (Might be the second easiest if you also consider the DS-21).

How is it that CT with that triangular shape specifically designed for aerodynamics, has worse CD than Rivian which is a traditional shaped truck ?
That’s a really good question. In the Top Gear video I’m watching now, the engineers said the CyberTruck was the most aerodynamic truck in its class. That’s simply not true, right?

How is it that CT with that triangular shape specifically designed for aerodynamics, has worse CD than Rivian which is a traditional shaped truck ?
Either there is a difference in the test method, or the CT has a larger frontal area. Whether the wing mirrors are removed or not would make a big difference.

I have a car with bird's eye view. Pretty much unusable. On the two Teslas I've had I've always used the rear camera. It has worked great. I tell people that the Tesla is the easiest car to park. (Might be the second easiest if you also consider the DS-21).
I've only had one car with a rear camera. My wife's Toyota. She tells me the back up camera works well because she chose to learn how to work with it. I can still see out of the back of that car so I back up the old way.
I just thought that bird's eye view would be useful from the videos I've seen.
But the point is...anyone talking about the rearview camera being any bit of an issue in the Cyber is a fool, and just wanting to hear themselves talk.

Ready for liftoff.

PXL_20231202_160105401.jpg

The people taking delivery now belong in the 80%, who just want a big vehicle, capable of towing WHEN they need to, have bed IN CASE they need one, tough against the elements, and cool. That's all. I want one and I never wanted a truck before. My wife hates trucks with a passion but she wants one. Is that enough anecdotal?
I don’t want to live in a neighborhood with pickup trucks on the driveway. But now ive changed
my mind as long as they are cybertrucks.

Either there is a difference in the test method, or the CT has a larger frontal area. Whether the wing mirrors are removed or not would make a big difference.
Frontal area is not included in the coefficient of drag. (Cd)

Cd is multiplied by the frontal area to get the total drag.

Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 11.07.38 AM.jpg

I think the lack of curved surfaces is the main reason for the higher Cd. In one of the videos Franz explained they did a lot to try to create an overall curved surface with straight lines to improve aerodynamics. Hard sharp edges are tough on aero.

Last edited:
That’s a really good question. In the Top Gear video I’m watching now, the engineers said the CyberTruck was the most aerodynamic truck in its class. That’s simply not true, right?
Is .33 vs .335 a huge difference? Honestly don’t know but I would Assume when they say in class the CT is rather larger/heavier then the Rivian.

I watched a Bloomberg interview with Sandy and he said something like, "They let me drive a Beast for a little while..." which leads me to think he didn't take delivery of one.
Sandy took delivery of an AWD dual motor cybertruck and he says he's keeping it not tearing it down. He'll get a 2nd one to tear down.

Is .33 vs .335 a huge difference? Honestly don’t know but I would Assume when they say in class the CT is rather larger/heavier then the Rivian.
Rivian says R1T is 0.3
10% higher Cd with the same crossectional area means 10% more force is required to move air out of the way at the same speed.
If aero and rolling drag start out equal, that's an approximately 5% hit to Wh/mile or range.
Tonneau cover cuts drag about 10% for Cybertruck (benefit is included in the 0.335 number).

Consider how a falling raindrop conforms to the perfect aerodynamic shape. Far from triangular, hard-edged, etc.

The Rivian has a few more raindrop qualities.

However, it doesn't look like the future, so I'll take the slight CoD hit and roll with the "back to the future" CT. 😎