Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supercharger v3 event leaked apparently:

pjhm6uv14jk21.jpg

Gates open 8pm PST, Fremont. (5am in most of Europe.)

Not verified.

Model 3 only? Probably not - just sent out according to ownership.

Bloomberg getting on the climate bandwagon. How long will it take him to realise that buying a few TSLA shares and telling the world that Tesla is on to something is the best thing he can do in the short term?
Can we expect the website to be pro EVs including Tesla from now on?
In my experience support for mitigating climate change has generally not translated into support for EVs. Still seen as a niche - where the main target is utilities rather than personal transportation. Probably because utilities is something you can blame on others, unlike personal transportation.

Even though, I personally got interested in plugins because of Al Gore's book where it is one of 10 or so solutions.

Um, we're up to $277 now...about $7 above the low of the day and rising.
Note that FSD is absolutely NOT priced into $TSLA at the moment.

If FSD was priced into $TSLA we'd have to add in Waymo's 175+ billion valuation:

How Much Upside Does Alphabet's Waymo Really Have?

"Two analysts have valued Waymo at $175 billion or more."​

... and would have to multiply it by two, because Tesla's FSD business model is that much more mature, that much more scalable and is also surrounded by three gigantic moats the width of the English Channel and the depth of the Mariana Trench. :D

So if I'm dead wrong about 2019 FSD progress (which is always a good possibility - I was wrong about the S&P 500 inclusion date too) we are back to square one and this year's price range. :D
WRT Waymo: Have they been developing their tech in conjunction with ICE cars or BEVs? If BEV, which one? I know little to nothing about the science involved, but I would imagine that if they are using ICE, it would not necessarily be that easy to adapt to BEV.

For example if the car in front of me causes a piece of paper to fly into the air, does it take evasive action?

If there's no radar signature (and most paper won't reflect radar) and there's no ultrasound signal either (there probably won't be if it's thin paper), then probably not. In other cases, probably yes - just like a good driver would do instinctively.

But yeah, just to quote Elon's reply to one of Adam "Wall Street's Best of the Best" Jonas's question:

Adam Michael Jonas - Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC

"Hey, everybody. First, there's so much love and respect for colleagues and Wall Street analysts on this call, it's almost – it is lifting my spirits. What can I say? I got two questions. The first is for the Autopilot team. There's an argument that a fully autonomous car is essentially like a terminator that is programmed to save lives in highly complex terrestrial environments and that this same technology with a few tweaks have some pretty obvious military capability. Do you see any risk that U.S. companies will ultimately not be allowed to operate weapons grade AI-based technology in a market like China and vice versa?"

Elon Musk:

"Well, this has never come up. I wouldn't call it weapons grade. It's just like the car is trying to drive and if anything, the autonomous cars will be pretty easy to bully because they'll be optimizing so much for avoiding collision. So that'll be more of a challenge than anything else is as soon as somebody sees that the car's autonomous, they know they can like cut them off and the car is going to do everything it can avoid a collision. So it's like that'll actually be probably a bigger challenge than anything else, but we've not encountered anything of the nature of what you're saying."​

So Tesla's AIs, regardless of whether and when they gain sentience, will only have a desire to drive, and will be very easy to bully on the roads. :D

Model 3 VINs‏ @Model3VINs 2 hrs ago, Mar 6

#Tesla registered 6,747 new #Model3 VINs. ~32% estimated to be dual motor. ~56% estimated to be International. Highest VIN is 323380.

Ok, this is 129.8k VINs in Q1 alone, and things are getting crazy: the "85% VIN method" which worked well in Q2, Q3 and Q4 is now projecting a Q1 Model 3 production target of 110k units, which is nuts: 8.4k/week production which looks very unlikely.

Note that this many VINs is probably going to bring the Bloomberg tracker out of whack as well. This quarter's P&D report (due on April 1-2) is gonna be crazy.

If there's no radar signature (and most paper won't reflect radar) and there's no ultrasound signal either (there probably won't be if it's thin paper), then probably not. In other cases, probably yes - just like a good driver would do instinctively.

But yeah, just to quote Elon's reply to one of Adam "Wall Street's Best of the Best" Jonas's question:

Adam Michael Jonas - Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC

"Hey, everybody. First, there's so much love and respect for colleagues and Wall Street analysts on this call, it's almost – it is lifting my spirits. What can I say? I got two questions. The first is for the Autopilot team. There's an argument that a fully autonomous car is essentially like a terminator that is programmed to save lives in highly complex terrestrial environments and that this same technology with a few tweaks have some pretty obvious military capability. Do you see any risk that U.S. companies will ultimately not be allowed to operate weapons grade AI-based technology in a market like China and vice versa?"

Elon Musk:

"Well, this has never come up. I wouldn't call it weapons grade. It's just like the car is trying to drive and if anything, the autonomous cars will be pretty easy to bully because they'll be optimizing so much for avoiding collision. So that'll be more of a challenge than anything else is as soon as somebody sees that the car's autonomous, they know they can like cut them off and the car is going to do everything it can avoid a collision. So it's like that'll actually be probably a bigger challenge than anything else, but we've not encountered anything of the nature of what you're saying."​

So Tesla's AIs, regardless of whether and when they gain sentience, will only have a desire to drive, and will be very easy to bully on the roads. :D

Shortsville Times:
Tesla vehicles to develop suicidal tendencies

In the future, they could have multiple personalities, defensive driving style, pickup driving style, muscle car driving style, etc. A few sensors could allow the mood to change depending upon the emotional state of the driver. Then they'd be close to human driving.

Model 3 only? Probably not - just sent out according to ownership.

Also per /u/NetBrown on reddit:

Some additional info, bad news first, then good news:

No current v2 are slated to upgrade to v3 (sorry, apparently it does not make fiscal sense to do this due to needs for taking a site offline to increase grid power capacity and removing v2 hardware which would be scrapped of they do this).

There are currently hundreds of sites that have planning and permit speced and ready to begin work on v3 deployment in the US, ALL new Supercharger sites (not to be confused with Urban chargers, those will still continue to be deployed in urban centers using v2 tech currently) will be coming online with v3 tech and capabilities.

In my experience support for mitigating climate change has generally not translated into support for EVs. Still seen as a niche - where the main target is utilities rather than personal transportation. Probably because utilities is something you can blame on others, unlike personal transportation.

Even though, I personally got interested in plugins because of Al Gore's book where it is one of 10 or so solutions.

If you absolutely need a car then obviously an EV is best, but ultimately, most of us do not need a car; this is the best solution.

Reactions: humbaba
Ok, this is 129.8k VINs in Q1 alone, and things are getting crazy: the "85% VIN method" which worked well in Q2, Q3 and Q4 is now projecting a Q1 Model 3 production target of 110k units, which is nuts: 8.4k/week production which looks very unlikely.

Note that this many VINs is probably going to bring the Bloomberg tracker out of whack as well. This quarter's P&D report (due on April 1-2) is gonna be crazy.
In previous quarters, when was the cut-off date for the final VIN produced? Ie: when is the last day a VIN release still has a chance of getting built in this quarter?

I'm thinking Tesla is batching VINs for production of SRs as orders are coming in. Likely planning a big push to build as many US SRs as possible before Jul 1st and the US Fed Tax Credit reduction to $1,875

• Helpful
Reactions: humbaba
First batches of Standard Range Model 3 already built:

Tesla produces first batch of standard Model 3 vehicles

"Electrek was able to confirm with a source familiar with Tesla’s production that the automaker produced an initial batch of over 500 standard Model 3 vehicles over the last two days.

Today, Tesla has 550 standard Model 3 vehicles ready to ship.

In its internal systems, Tesla is also listing the vehicles as ‘Model 3 50’, which is generally a reference to the kWh capacity of the battery pack – meaning that the Standard Range Model 3 battery pack would have a 50 kWh capacity."​

If the current bottleneck is the new Grohmann line and if they made this many SR packs in 2 days then that's an initial ramp-up rate of about 1,750 SR's per week - not too bad of a starting point.

Note that this would expand Tesla's battery pack assembly output to about 7,000+1,750 = 8,750 packs/week - subject to further bottlenecks at Fremont (paint shop, body shop, etc.).

If you absolutely need a car then obviously an EV is best, but ultimately, most of us do not need a car; this is the best solution.
That is certainly true in many places in Europe. It's not true in North America except for certain high density areas. For example, if I was to take public transportation to work, it would take over three hours to go 32 miles (each way).

Reactions: lklundin
Top three stories on my Yahoo"news" feed.

1. SEC seeks to hold Musk in contempt of settlement

2. Tesla and Facebook reputation have taken a huge hit

3.Top Take Tesla workers are loosing confidence in Elon...

Pravda were are you?!?

and a fourth just popped up

4. Elon Musk should feel enabled to step back from Tesla