Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
45 kwh x 0.22 per = $10-US - Even with Excel's high rates this is some kind of monster charger you got going there!! Tell us more . . . :smile:
--

I was figuring 67 kW average Supercharger charge rate for an hour at 15 cents per kWh gives you a savings on home electricity of $10 per hour of your time at the Supercharger. Seems to be a very small monetary return for time invested if you live near a Supercharger.

Even if I had a Supercharger 3 miles from my house next to a good coffee shop, I would prefer to take the 45 seconds to plug in and 45 seconds to unplug at my house, rather than use a nearby Supercharger. OTOH, Superchargers on road trips are wonderful!

See Watching for I-70 Superchargers from Denver to St. Louis - Page 8

The Salina Supercharger location has been found and it's almost done!

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Salina, 755 W Diamond Dr, Salina, KS, United States

- - - Updated - - -

Also:

See "European SuperCharger rollout updated" and "Sweden Superchargers Coming - Google Maps"

It looks like the Norway Island will get connected well before the Texas Island.

Well, unless people are specifically wanting to drive all the way, Norway to mainland Europe is faster taking the ferry and driving through Denmark. Just need two Supercharger sites in Northern Germany.

I was figuring 67 kW average Supercharger charge rate for an hour at 15 cents per kWh gives you a savings on home electricity of $10 per hour of your time at the Supercharger. Seems to be a very small monetary return for time invested if you live near a Supercharger.

Even if I had a Supercharger 3 miles from my house next to a good coffee shop, I would prefer to take the 45 seconds to plug in and 45 seconds to unplug at my house, rather than use a nearby Supercharger. OTOH, Superchargers on road trips are wonderful!

There have always been the idiots that drive all over town to save a penny or two off the price of a gallon of gas and I'm pretty sure a similar mentality exists among some EV owners. But the vast majority of us are like you (and I) who don't really want to hang out while our car charges if we don't have to.

And, why so slow to plug and unplug? :)

There have always been the idiots that drive all over town to save a penny or two off the price of a gallon of gas and I'm pretty sure a similar mentality exists among some EV owners. But the vast majority of us are like you (and I) who don't really want to hang out while our car charges if we don't have to.

for some who are back up impaired plugging in involves taking inordinate amounts of time just getting the car in the right position.

I'm not in that camp but I have to imagine there is a model S driver somewhere making a decision on a tree like:

1. just park and don't charge I have enough range left
2. get my husband/wife/friend to park for me because I can't do it quickly
3. spend the extra minutes parking horribly just so I can charge because 1 and 2 weren't options.

Well, unless people are specifically wanting to drive all the way, Norway to mainland Europe is faster taking the ferry and driving through Denmark. Just need two Supercharger sites in Northern Germany.

Good info!

The Texans only need 3 Superchargers between Corsicana and Salina, but it's a very good bet that the German Superchargers will connect Norway before the I-35 Superchargers, the I-40 Supercharger, or the I-10 Superchargers connect Texas...

- - - Updated - - -

It's really much faster than that, but if I say a minute and a half to charge at home, no one can question that I can do that, and it still sounds really good!

Maybe I should start saying about a minute to charge at home, 30 seconds to plug in and 30 seconds to unplug. That's still conservative and quicker to say!

The Texans only need 3 Superchargers between Corsicana and Salina, but it's a very good bet that the German Superchargers will connect Norway before the I-35 Superchargers, the I-40 Supercharger, or the I-10 Superchargers connect Texas...

Great news about Salina, KS.
Tesla could be be working on part of the route to Texas right now, and we just don't know it or have it on our immediate radar.
Any Scouts near:
** Wichita or Wellington, KS, to Blackwell, OK?
** Edmond, OK to Norman, OK?
** Gainesville to Denton, TX?

I do think 3 is the correct number of SuperChargers in order for 60s to be able to make the trek connecting DFW/Texas to Salina, also a lot of folks (from San Antonio and Austin) would still be coming up I-35, using the SuperCharger @ Waco.
IMO, it is out of the way to swing over from Waco using back roads to catch Supercharger @ Corsicana on I-75, and then head further North.

Come on I-35 Connection!!!

I had thought I-10 route heading East would be better developed or at least underway by now, but there are around 6 Superchargers needed for that route.
And there are probably 5 or 6 Superchargers needed to effectively connect the majority of the Tesla population to I-40 going West.

...I do think 3 is the correct number of SuperChargers in order for 60s to be able to make the trek connecting DFW/Texas to Salina, also a lot of folks (from San Antonio and Austin) would still be coming up I-35, using the SuperCharger @ Waco.
IMO, it is out of the way to swing over from Waco using back roads to catch Supercharger @ Corsicana on I-75, and then head further North.

Sliding the Supercharger time machine bar all the way to 2015 does not show any dots between Corsicana and OKC. There is one around Wichita Falls, which might help get the 60s to OKC. Then Wichita, KS has a red dot that would allow the 60s to get from OKC to Salina. The spacing in Kansas looks like it would allow an SC skip between Salina and Goodland with an 85. I'll find out soon enough!

It's really much faster than that, but if I say a minute and a half to charge at home, no one can question that I can do that, and it still sounds really good!

Maybe I should start saying about a minute to charge at home, 30 seconds to plug in and 30 seconds to unplug. That's still conservative and quicker to say!

Actually, you are right come up with a time that's unassailable. If it's a little too long it doesn't harm your argument but one second too short... The reality is that total active time dedicated to recharging is de minimis. Heck, to 99.9% of us, it's way less than driving out of the way for a free charge.

OK it found one that I didn't see posted on page 484:
Denver Supercharger | Tesla Motors

Is Denver getting an urban supercharger? Or is this just a coming soon page that is left over from before Lone Tree went live?

I am only on the 'D' cities so I might get a few more hits. It seems like most have been found already though.

Did you ever turn up any others? I was really hoping to see more progress in Upstate NY and PA (besides Allentown).

Actually, you are right come up with a time that's unassailable. If it's a little too long it doesn't harm your argument but one second too short... The reality is that total active time dedicated to recharging is de minimis. Heck, to 99.9% of us, it's way less than driving out of the way for a free charge.

My charge port door is frequently unresponsive to the HPWC wand button, so I can easily take 30 seconds to plug in. More if I decide to just pop the door from the car or the app after failing with the wand.

However, my unplug time is just as short as everyone else's.

There is a real need for a Supercharger near Denver before heading up to Silverthorne. Even in an 85 requires care and a greater than 80% charge to do these connections in good weather. Try a 60 or an 85 in bad weather and it becomes challenging.

I've made the drive from far east Denver to Silverthorne a few times in my 60 with absolutely zero worries. It's not an issue at all (even in rain and hail!).

On another note, I'm taking a road trip from Denver to San Luis Obispo on Thursday the 19th. Would be GREAT if St. George, UT came online before then.

Last edited:
My charge port door is frequently unresponsive to the HPWC wand button, so I can easily take 30 seconds to plug in. More if I decide to just pop the door from the car or the app after failing with the wand.

However, my unplug time is just as short as everyone else's.

I had this problem and I was told by a visiting tech that you shouldn't press the button when the handle is beside the car. He mentioned that it's best to press it while holding the handle over the rear window due to the location of the receiver. He was at my place to replace my charge cable (a pin had gone bad) so I'm not sure if it was the replacement or pressing the button in the new location but this fixed it for me.

I had this problem and I was told by a visiting tech that you shouldn't press the button when the handle is beside the car. He mentioned that it's best to press it while holding the handle over the rear window due to the location of the receiver. He was at my place to replace my charge cable (a pin had gone bad) so I'm not sure if it was the replacement or pressing the button in the new location but this fixed it for me.

If it was the location then the button on the UMC would have similar issues. I'm skeptical of that explanation. The two times I've used an HPWC I had no problems pressing the button by the door as I do with the UMC.

I've made the drive from far east Denver to Silverthorne a few times in my 60 with absolutely zero worries. It's not an issue at all (even in rain and hail!).

On another note, I'm taking a road trip from Denver to San Luis Obispo on Thursday the 19th. Would be GREAT if St. George, UT came online before then.

Exactly! If you charge in or near Denver, then getting to Silverthorne is no problem. However, if there is no convenient Denver Supercharger, then it can be a stretch coming from Cheyenne in the north or Limon in the east. From these directions, Lone Tree is quite out of the way, especially in traffic!

A Supercharger at the Hampton Inn, Denver West/Golden would be a great solution! I hope we see that or something similar soon.

Defuniak Springs, FL adds an interesting element to the I-10 route. Looking at the Supercharger rollout plan, it looks like the next one over would be Gulfport or Biloxi, but both of those are stretching the legs of a 60 (193 and 181 miles, respectively).

So you think Tesla will aim for Pascagoula (158) or Gautier (161) instead? Then from there, Baton Rouge is about 164 miles. Then one slightly east of Beaumont, TX would get you within range of Columbus.

Then it's time for a FL vacay.

Last edited: