Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a great article, thanks for posting.

Interestingly, in Washington State, there is a new law that requires charging stations be exclusive to EVs with a hefty fine - $124, iirc. So, assuming local enforcement, those 30 minute non-EV signs should go away, at least in WA.

Gilroy's 10 additional stations can't come around soon enough. Was able to get the last (one of the older 90 kW ones) of the 4 spots in the morning yesterday, en route to the Gilroy Garlic Festival. The other 2 non-SC charging stations were not occupied.

My 6-year-old son had his first shot at plugging into the supercharger and thoroughly enjoyed the whole (simple) experience! I don't think he ever wanted to step out and pump gas before with our previous ICE car.

On the way back later in the afternoon, drove past to see that the 4 SCs and the 2 non-SCs were occupied (all by Model S) and there were atleast 3 Model S waiting! The folks waiting seemed relaxed enough though and seemed to be enjoying some Tesla Time with passersby.

On the way back later in the afternoon, drove past to see that the 4 SCs and the 2 non-SCs were occupied (all by Model S) and there were atleast 3 Model S waiting! The folks waiting seemed relaxed enough though and seemed to be enjoying some Tesla Time with passersby.

Today evening he posted another picture. Still empy. Maybe we can dig them out and send them over to you. :biggrin:

SpaceXTalk.com View topic - Supercharging stations

Has this been formally announced? And if so, any idea on timing? I'm doing road trip in late September and wanted to return to Napa via Gilroy on a Sunday.

Not formally, I think, but, there were multiple posts somewhere on here about Tesla Supercharger installation crews/supervisors confirming this.

Elon joked at Teslive about how bad the situation at Gilroy was and said that they are going to be addressing this "soon".

Not formally, I think, but, there were multiple posts somewhere on here about Tesla Supercharger installation crews/supervisors confirming this.

Elon joked at Teslive about how bad the situation at Gilroy was and said that they are going to be addressing this "soon".

Well, I think we have a "formal" announcement from the Company -- "when all else fails, check the Tesla website." Tesla's website says there are plans to roll out 8 additional bays at Gilroy. If you search under Superchargers and then follow your way to the individual SC locations and click on Gilroy, there is a note about expansion of 8 bays for this one. Last time I checked a week or so ago, there was no timetable for the rollout of the additional bays.

Well, I think we have a "formal" announcement from the Company -- "when all else fails, check the Tesla website." Tesla's website says there are plans to roll out 8 additional bays at Gilroy. If you search under Superchargers and then follow your way to the individual SC locations and click on Gilroy, there is a note about expansion of 8 bays for this one. Last time I checked a week or so ago, there was no timetable for the rollout of the additional bays.

Thanks for posting this. I've had to wait so many times at Gilroy that I range charged at Atascadero on Sunday specifically so we could make it home without stopping at Gilroy. We made it home with 14 miles of range left . . .

Thanks for posting this. I've had to wait so many times at Gilroy that I range charged at Atascadero on Sunday specifically so we could make it home without stopping at Gilroy. We made it home with 14 miles of range left . . .

Exactly my concern going from Atascadero to Napa. Might even have to consider traversing over to I-5 and take my chances at Harris Ranch. Yuck.

I guess I have been lucky. I have used Gilroy 4 times in the last month driving from Ventura to SF and back. 3 of the 4 times I was the only one there. The 4th time there was only one other car. Time of day was twice at around 11 AM and twice at around 3 pm.

Sent: Friday, July 26, 2013 4:45 PM
Subject: RE: Florida

Hi S,
Thank you for your email; we love hearing about the real world driving applications of our customers and comparing them against our planned routes. I want to share with you that we have plans to install an Orlando station late this year or early next and it is very likely that we’ll have another station in Ocala or Gainesville next year, too.

Building off of the openings in Port St. Lucie and Ft. Myers, we’re opening Port Orange next month which will bring yet another Supercharging station to Florida!

Keep checking our website for new site announcements; we appreciate your enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thanks,
The Tesla Supercharger Team

How Does Tesla Define "Winter 2013?"

I know that many Arizona Model S owners are excited to see that three Superchargers are scheduled for the Fall of 2013 and three more are supposed to be located in or on the border of our state in Winter 2013. I'm curious about how Tesla defines Winter 2013 since Winter starts December 22 and the year 2013 ends nine days later. Should we expect the SCSs to be operational by the end of the calendar year?

I know that many Arizona Model S owners are excited to see that three Superchargers are scheduled for the Fall of 2013 and three more are supposed to be located in or on the border of our state in Winter 2013. I'm curious about how Tesla defines Winter 2013 since Winter starts December 22 and the year 2013 ends nine days later. Should we expect the SCSs to be operational by the end of the calendar year?

If they are following the Texas definitions, winter goes right up to the day before spring.

Exactly my concern going from Atascadero to Napa. Might even have to consider traversing over to I-5 and take my chances at Harris Ranch. Yuck.

I can't say I feel your pain. You CA folks have so many Superchargers and other options. The state of infrastructure in much of the rest of the country is far behind, but Tesla is thankfully working to change that - as are many owners who lobby hotels and other destinations to install chargers.

On Saturday 16 Teslas from around New England drove up Mt Washington for a very foggy sunset. There was one CS-90 at the base (just installed last week) and we did "buddy-breathing" so that a couple cars had at least the minimum 40 miles of range to make the 8mi climb (you get 20 back in regen on the way down). Cars were charging all night at the base, at the one nearby ski resort with a 14-50, and at several campgrounds. I charged from 10pm-1am at an RV dealer in Conway NH so I could get home at 3:30am with 8 miles left.

There's talk of making it an annual event, like Mini owners and others do. I'm sure charging will be easier next year with Superchargers in MA, NH and ME, and many more local options. But in the meantime count your blessings out there on the left coast.

My experience with the Gilroy charges has been hit and miss. Most of the time there has been at least one open slot when I pulled up (usually in the afternoon). Lately though, it has become over crowded. When I was there at about 2:00 PM last month there were a total of 8 Teslas for the 4 spots--all of the 90 kWh superchargers in use, both J1772 freebees occupied by Teslas and 2 more waiting. Faster supercharges would certainly ease the pain, and there is room for at least 4 more stations to the left of the originals, but there has been absolutely no indication of any upgrade any time soon. I noticed on Tesla's roll-out map that there is a dot curiously close to the Gilroy location, due by the end of the year. Hmmm. Not exactly "soon". The problem is that Gilroy suffers from both a high concentration of Tesla S owners and is both the first station for owners headed to the southland and the last one for those coming home to the bay area. Atascadero may ease the volume a bit, but arriving with 14 miles left in the battery would be a nail-biter for me.

My experience with the Gilroy charges has been hit and miss. Most of the time there has been at least one open slot when I pulled up (usually in the afternoon). Lately though, it has become over crowded. When I was there at about 2:00 PM last month there were a total of 8 Teslas for the 4 spots--all of the 90 kWh superchargers in use, both J1772 freebees occupied by Teslas and 2 more waiting. Faster supercharges would certainly ease the pain, and there is room for at least 4 more stations to the left of the originals, but there has been absolutely no indication of any upgrade any time soon. I noticed on Tesla's roll-out map that there is a dot curiously close to the Gilroy location, due by the end of the year. Hmmm. Not exactly "soon". The problem is that Gilroy suffers from both a high concentration of Tesla S owners and is both the first station for owners headed to the southland and the last one for those coming home to the bay area. Atascadero may ease the volume a bit, but arriving with 14 miles left in the battery would be a nail-biter for me.

I wonder if Tesla may also be working on putting the 8 additional bays not to the left but to the right of where the 4 are now, in the space behind that part of the outlet mall? There is space behind there to add bays last time I checked.