Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Tesla Slashes 7,000 Euros Off Model S Price in Germany"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A base P85 costs £68,700 in britain, after a £5,000 incentive. That means that before incentive it costs $123,300, including 20% VAT. Without VAT it is then $102,750.

In other words, it isn't cheaper in the UK. Europe seems to have approximately identical prices in all markets, now.

- - - Updated - - -

Germany has significantly more expensive electricity. They've been shutting down nuclear power plants and that has really put pressure on prices.

With electricity costs at an average €0.2965/kWh (in December) and an average of 0.25 kWh/km, that works out to €0.074/km. An M5 uses about 10 liters/100 km, and gasoline currently costs €1.495/liter, so that works out to €0.15/km. That means an M5 costs around twice as much in fuel.

What if the German's home has solar power? ;)

Current pricing for a "base" P85 in each country excluding taxes and incentives:

- USA US$ 94,750
- D US$ 101,700
- CND US$94,300
- N US$102,000
- UK US$96,300
- NL US$102,200

Now the reality is that someone in Oregon can jump into this car paying $87,250 (plus rego etc.) while someone in Germany will pay $121,000. So 38% more expensive. The biggest components of the difference is the tax in Europe and the US federal rebate. But Teslas in many European countries are by orders of magnitude more expensive than what they are in the US.
Can't wait to see the Australian pricing. With the luxury car tax (yes, reduced for fuel efficient cars), stamp duty and the GST it is going to be quite something again.

Yes, in Switzerland they have sit the price significantly some 7 to 14 days ago. They said it is because of the exchange rate and that they have changed the warranty.

The price incl taxes in Switzerland for a "basic"

p85: 87000 USD
85 : 75000 USD
60 : 66000 USD

So about $7000 to get it taken apart, shipped to europe, reassembled and then delivered. Seems a little bit on the pricey side, but ok...

The real question is why the h--- does the brits get it for $5000+ lesd than the rest of us?

I made a mistake, the UK price includes a GBP 5000 rebate which I didn't spot so the price is more expensive than in cotinental Europe.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, in Switzerland they have sit the price significantly some 7 to 14 days ago. They said it is because of the exchange rate and that they have changed the warranty.

The price incl taxes in Switzerland for a "basic"

p85: 87000 USD
85 : 75000 USD
60 : 66000 USD

I see a price of over USD 100k for a base P85 and that is without tax.

The base P85 is listed at CHF 95,200 in Switzerland. (Tesla Motors website.) That is the same as $108,550, but includes 8% VAT. That works out to $99,900 before VAT.

It seems prices in Switzerland are around $2000 less than the rest of Europe for a P85.

I'm so sorry. Stupid me! I did the exchange calculation the wrong way!

So correct would be with taxes the "basic" model in Switzerland:

P85: 108'000 USD
85 : 93'000 USD
60 : 82'000 USD

The base P85 is listed at CHF 95,200 in Switzerland. (Tesla Motors website.) That is the same as $108,550, but includes 8% VAT. That works out to $99,900 before VAT.

It seems prices in Switzerland are around $2000 less than the rest of Europe for a P85.

With the mandatory delivery fee the price is CHF 95,700 wo just over $100k with the tax taken out. I have included the fee in all my other prices as there is no way to avoid it.

A Model S has significantly greater performance than a 520d. As such a 520d isn't an equivalent vehicle. The closest 5-series to the Model S is an M5.

Depends on what you would get instead of a Model S. For me that would be a 520d or a Mercedes E220CDI. Getting an M5 is not an option since it costs about $150,000 here (and no, we don't have an extra tax on vehicles like some countries).
Extra note: In Norway a M5 is about $250,000 (no not kidding, they have an extra tax on some cars).

- - - Updated - - -

And for price comparisons of MS between countries, go here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/28496-Price-comparison-chart-between-countries

Depends on what you would get instead of a Model S. For me that would be a 520d or a Mercedes E220CDI. Getting an M5 is not an option since it costs about $150,000 here (and no, we don't have an extra tax on vehicles like some countries).
Extra note: In Norway a M5 is about $250,000 (no not kidding, they have an extra tax on some cars).
We were talking about Germany. There, an M5 and a Model S aren't that dissimilar in price.

But, if you were to compare the 520d to the Model S, they would cost approximately as much per km in fuel. Still in Germany.

Forum lurker here. I would just like to add the information that there are very few off peak deals on electricity in Germany as network costs and other factors make it unattractive for most providers to offer such deals.
As good as the Model S is imo you cannot reasonably claim that its performance is comparable to an M 5 if you keep in mind that most people who buy this type of car want to go seriously fast on the motorway in Germany. Even a lowly 520d has a higher top speed than the Tesla and it can cruise at speeds of > 100 mph without too much impact on its range. The currently rather limited SC network and the significant impact of higher speeds on range will keep many people from considering a Tesla in Germany right now.