Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service centers and dealerships now allowed in Vermont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The District Commission issued a land use permit to Tesla today for the Tesla automobile sales, service and distribution center, located at 218 Hannaford Drive in South Burlington, Vermont. Woohoo! Now lets see how fast Tesla can get the place up and running!
Now the question is, does VT issue temp tags or will I need to still drive from ME to NJ in the future?

Now the question is, does VT issue temp tags or will I need to still drive from ME to NJ in the future?
Yes, they do. We bought a used Outback from a VT dealer in 2020, they sent us home with a temp VT plate and all the paperwork (minus the title). We took the car home on Saturday; the title was sent via UPS overnight when the office opened Mon/Tues.

However, I did get pulled over by a NH Trooper for speeding in the car before I put a NH plate on it (50 in a 35; missed the speed zone sign). He let me go with a warning, but said a NH resident needs a NH plate (temp or permanent) to operate the car in NH. According to him, I could be sited for operating an unregistered vehicle.

Reactions: kayak1
Reactions: kayak1
Good luck with that lol. I'll "hope" with you, but we all know that reality has other plans for your delivery date.
Well I’ll at least finally get my Roadster this Winter, right………right?

IMG_4612.png

Just found out about this today.... apparently Tesla was blocked from opening a dealership or service center in Vermont. That is, until June 7 2021, when the Governor signed S.47 into law. Hopefully now Tesla will open a dealership or at least a service center in the green mountain state.

ACTION TAKEN BY GOVERNOR PHIL SCOTT ON LEGISLATION - JUNE 7, 2021​

An act relating to motor vehicle manufacturers, dealers, and warranty or service facilities​

Last Recorded Action House 5/21/2021 - Senate Message, signed by Governor June 7, 2021
Montpelier, Vt. - Governor Phil Scott announced action on the following bills, passed by the General Assembly.

S.47 has been dubbed the “Tesla bill,” because it would open the door for Tesla, Inc. — the California-based maker of a popular line of high-end electric cars — to run its own shops in Vermont through which it could sell and service vehicles directly.

Besides allowing electric car makers to open consumer-direct stores, the legislation would place those operations under the same regulations that apply to third-party dealers. It would further bar car companies that don’t make electric cars from opening consumer-direct operations.
Welcome to the 21st century.

Anyone heard of any updates regarding the pending South Burlington Service Center? It seems it may be running behind schedule. From the WCAX news article back on April 29th they stated "work to begin at the old Hannaford's on Shelburne Road before summer". I drove by the other day and there is no sign of any work being done, at least from outside the building. Even if they were working on the inside of the building you would expect there to be some equipment of signs of work from outside. That same article stated "an opening goal in the late summer or early fall." Questioning whether that is possible at this point. Come on Tesla!

Reactions: MikeHawk
So it looks like there finally might be some activity now at the site of the new Vermont Tesla location. I drove by the old Hannaford building today and saw multiple dumpsters full of construction debris, porta-potties on site for construction crews, lights on inside and people working inside on boom lifts, and a couple of Electrician work trailers outside (pictures attached).

Hopefully this means Tesla is moving in and things are progressing. Strange though that I don't see any jobs listed on Tesla's Careers page. In fact VT is not even an option in the State drop down. 🤔

IMG_4892.jpeg
IMG_4891.jpeg
IMG_4889.jpeg
IMG_4888.jpeg
IMG_4887.jpeg

So it's been two months since the last update - can anyone in the area stop by and give us an update? It's a 3 hour round trip for me. Although it does give me an excuse to stop by The Alchemist for some Focal Banger on the way.

Site is on the north side of Hannaford Drive (old Hannaford store) across the street from Lowes, South Burlington:

Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 11.37.40 AM.png

Last edited: