Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Showroom and Service Center - Woburn, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tdreamer

Plaid Supercharger
Supporting Member
Sep 10, 2017
Bedford, Massachusetts
Tesla is looking to build a 50,000 square foot showroom and service center in Woburn!

They are looking at the address of 399 Washington St, Woburn, MA 01801 It sounds like the developers met with members of the Woburn City Council, Planning Board and other city services in early September to discuss the project.

From the 10/3/2023 Woburn City Council meeting agenda:

The following information was among that presented during the department review meeting:
• The project is expected to employ approximately 44 people including 24 certifiedtechnicians (mechanics) and service support staff, 10 sales employees, 5 servicesupport staff, 2 sales support staff and 3 managers. The Petitioner indicated there willbe no more than 30 employees on a shift at any given time.
• There will be 16 electric vehicle (EV) charging stations on the site which the Petitionerindicated would be used by employees and customers and for charging batteries ofvehicles that are in for repair.
• The planned hours of operation for the facility are 8 am to 7 pm Monday throughSaturday and 11 am to 6 pm on Sundays. A second shift might be added at some point and that change would obviously extend these hours.
• The retail sales portion of the building would occupy about 6,700 sq. ft. of the total50,500 sq. ft. Only 2 vehicles would be kept on display for sale purposes on the property, and no inventory of vehicles available for sale would be kept on site.
• The repair aspect of the operation will have 58 service bays and occupy an unknown amount of floor space. Repair/maintenance services that will be provided on site are software updates, tire balancing and alignments, minor body work, and battery replacements.
• The Petitioner also intends to use some amount of floor space for storage, but the floor area devoted to this use and the types of materials to be stored in the building were notspecified.
• According to the plans, zoning will require a total of 400 parking spaces be provided(34 for the retail sales and 366 for “other uses”). The plan shows a total of 400 parking spaces on site, with 273 spaces on the ground and 127 located on the roof of the building.
• Aside from the delivery of vehicles to the site, the operation is expected to need deliveries twice a day and more often that toward the end of each calendar quarter.

A story about the project appeared also here: Tesla eyes old dealership site in Woburn for EV showroom / service center

Yikes. That whole intersection will need to go under construction again then.
Traffic in and out of that little stretch during lunch with Chick-fil-a is already busy (ask me how I know.. :D )
I wonder if it's Tower Office Park, which I'm pretty sure is a Cummins property, or if they're looking at the empty lot that's right there on Washington.

Yikes. That whole intersection will need to go under construction again then.
Traffic in and out of that little stretch during lunch with Chick-fil-a is already busy (ask me how I know.. :D )
I wonder if it's Tower Office Park, which I'm pretty sure is a Cummins property, or if they're looking at the empty lot that's right there on Washington.
According to the article linked above, Tesla wants the empty lot which was an old Buick dealership back in the day. It also talks about the access problem, since that part of Washington St is controlled by MassDOT. Also, it sounds like no one's quite sure who owns the street connecting to that office park. So the town of Woburn, Cummings Properties, and possibly the state will all be involved, i.e. don't expect construction to start anytime soon!

At this evenings Woburn City Council meeting the council representing the developer for this project requested the application be withdrawn. No reasons were given.

This project is dead for now. :(

Note: this could mean the Dedham expansion project that Tesla has been pursuing in parallel is heading in the right direction, but there have been no updates in some time about that project so the wait for news continues....

Last edited: