Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Center - Dedham, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You heard it here first, at the Dedham, MA selectmen meeting tonight they approved a Tesla sales/service center which will have 8 supercharging bays.
Opening June 2015 possibly. 840 Providence Highway Dedham, MA

The almost-unnoticed big "big deal" about this action is that a second town has now issued Tesla a Class 1 Dealer License. This time, I gather, Tesla didn't need to fly in its corporate brass and Texas lawyers to fight MADA. If MADA were really serious about fighting Tesla's retail model in MA, they should have been there. Their absence speaks volumes.

The almost-unnoticed big "big deal" about this action is that a second town has now issued Tesla a Class 1 Dealer License. This time, I gather, Tesla didn't need to fly in its corporate brass and Texas lawyers to fight MADA. If MADA were really serious about fighting Tesla's retail model in MA, they should have been there. Their absence speaks volumes.

They did have legal counsel from corporate present. There just wasn't any fight.

Wow, That's right across the street from my Volvo dealer. That puts this issue on a level playing field.

Sin Gas

- - - Updated - - -

Hello All
I pass thru Mass all the time. Several Months ago, the NADA(MADA) filed suit in Massachusetts. Judge read the complaint, and read the law, and threw out the suit as there was no case. She chided the attny's for NADA to be more diligent and not to bring frivilous law suits.

Victory for Tesla

Looks like Tesla is exploring the possibility of expanding the Dedham location. Not sure if this is a relocation of service from the current building, or an increase in service capacity through a second building. Lots of additional parking spaces on site to accommodate deliveries. This proposal came before the Dedham Planning Board on 1/25/23 but was postponed at the request of the developer (no reason given). So it's not clear where this is going at this time. These three pages have dates going back to 5/2022 suggesting this has been something Tesla has been working on for some time.

Credit to MarcoRP for finding and relaying this info.

1675212298288.png

1675212411965.png

1675212594598.png

• Love
Reactions: jlv1 and David29
Well, as a Dedham resident, that is exciting! The Dedham facility is crowded, to say the least, and has been for years. The drawing makes it look (to me) as if the new building would be only for service, leaving the present building for sales and deliveries. That would be a big improvement, I think.

Reactions: kayak1 and EdA
Looks like Tesla is exploring the possibility of expanding the Dedham location. Not sure if this is a relocation of service from the current building, or an increase in service capacity through a second building. Lots of additional parking spaces on site to accommodate deliveries. This proposal came before the Dedham Planning Board on 1/25/23 but was postponed at the request of the developer (no reason given). So it's not clear where this is going at this time. These three pages have dates going back to 5/2022 suggesting this has been something Tesla has been working on for some time.

Credit to MarcoRP for finding and relaying this info.

View attachment 901912

View attachment 901913

View attachment 901916
So, crickets on the previous plans for an expansion behind the current location found earlier this year. Today, the address 820 Providence Highway showed up on the agenda for this week's Design Review Board meeting (along with a review of the proposed new supercharger down the street). This is the former Bed Bath and Beyond adjacent to the current Tesla site. Nice call @Fiver.

This preliminary design shows a possible connection between this property and the existing Tesla site where the existing superchargers are. This might be an early indicator that the eight existing V2 supercharger's days are numbered....

1698704675211.png

1698704734273.png

So, crickets on the previous plans for an expansion behind the current location found earlier this year. Today, the address 820 Providence Highway showed up on the agenda for this week's Design Review Board meeting (along with a review of the proposed new supercharger down the street). This is the former Bed Bath and Beyond adjacent to the current Tesla site. Nice call @Fiver.

This preliminary design shows a possible connection between this property and the existing Tesla site where the existing superchargers are. This might be an early indicator that the eight existing V2 supercharger's days are numbered....

View attachment 986600

View attachment 986601
That is indeed interesting! I was at the Verizon store in that same building, adjacent to the former Bed, Bath & Beyond, just yesterday. I noticed that there were a lot of Teslas parked in that parking lot, and realized after a few seconds that most either had dealer plates or were unregistered. My conclusion had been that Tesla had leased the lot, or a portion of it, as a storage area for new cars, demonstrators, etc., because their existing lot is always so crowded. But the possibility that they might take over the entire building is rather intriguing! Good catch by Tdreamer! I wonder if they will keep the old space, and where the tenants such as Verizon will go....

Reactions: kayak1
This project came before the Design Review Advisory Board this evening. Lots of discussion about signage, and in particular making the signage more obvious this is the service center to help direct customers into this location vs. the next door existing location. The presenter didn't appear to be aware Tesla was already next door. All comments were advisory to the developer - recommendations only.

Sounded like this project would need require zoning board approval, but might not not require going before the planning board.

This project came before the Design Review Advisory Board this evening. Lots of discussion about signage, and in particular making the signage more obvious this is the service center to help direct customers into this location vs. the next door existing location. The presenter didn't appear to be aware Tesla was already next door. All comments were advisory to the developer - recommendations only.

Sounded like this project would need require zoning board approval, but might not not require going before the planning board.
Wait, so the plan is to keep the present site for the sales function and the new one would be for service? Wow, I had misunderstood. That is a bigger increase in tesla's presence that I had thought! It certainly does get very crowded there at times....
I noticed today that one of the other tenants in the BB&B building has already closed, which leaves just the Verizon store .

What proposed new supercharger down the street?

And maybe they keep the existing superchargers just for Sales & Service to use? (which is at times how they have been).
100 Providence Hwy - Ocean State Job Lot. A 12 post V3 supercharger. Should get final approval in the next few days and then on to building permitting. I'm sure Tesla really wants this one built quickly to help with charging for deliveries (either to shunt owners to the new V3's or to use them in addition to the existing V2's). I suspect both of those will be the case during peak delivery times myself.

Reactions: PeterK and kayak1
And maybe they keep the existing superchargers just for Sales & Service to use? (which is at times how they have been).
I had the pleasure of volunteering to help in June on several quarter-end delivery days. Goal was 60 cars into customer hands per day. Cars would come in from the offsite logistics lot and onto the supercharger to charge up to 80%+ for delivery. Add to this owners swinging through to do routine charging and... superchargers full all day long. Even if the 8 V2's were explicitly closed for public use they would still be overutilized during peak delivery periods. Tesla needs more supercharging for deliveries, preferably V3's without V2 stall pairing/load sharing. Doing overnight pre-charging of cars being delivered the next day would also help, although the charge and deliver cadence actually worked quite well overall.