Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla reduces output of Y and 3 in Shanghai

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a man made climate change denier!
However in the last 4 years we got rid of our ICE cars and have in fact bought /exchanged 5 Teslas and 2 Kias.
We also installed 10kW solar panels and 3 Tesla Powerwalls.
Reasons
Savings on cars. Profits on cars. Cheap fuel. Little servicing. Faster quieter cars.
Cheaper electric, less gas, Combined electric and gas bills reduced from £1000 per month to £250 per month!
Rapid repayment of capital on solar and batteries. Including EVs repayment likely within 6 years.
It all makes clear financial sense!

I'm no longer going to look at this thread. I'm bored and a little miffed at Zilla91's level of sarcasm. It's just not necessary, and a little uncalled for. This forum is supposed to be helpful and constructive for us Tesla owners, and some of these comments are uncalled for.
It would have been better if the thread had not gone off topic. It’s supposed to be about reduced production at Shanghai, not a symposium about climate change.

Reactions: boombap
Considering we’re all currently driving brand new 40k+ cars, I suspect the vast majority would have been driving fairly modern ICE vehicles.

I highly doubt most people here would have moved from a diesel from 1998 into a new Model Y. If anyone has done that or something similar, then fair play.
It doesn't have to be from 1998. It's common that about 80% of a gasoline vehicle's total energy use is from driving. There's a chunk up front from manufacturing, and then end of life, which is less than 10% of the total energy use.

Also, unless you are cubing your previous vehicle every time you sell it, your old vehicle is filtering through the used vehicle market (which is over twice the size of the new vehicle market).

Which part exactly do you "deny'? The bit where we put carbon in the atmosphere or the bit where the carbon increases global temperature?
The BS about the greenhouse effect. I've been on this planet 80 years and have seen very little one way changes.
Seen tremendous air improvement since the 40s and 50s where coal dominated. Coal fired every house, coal powered every train, coal produced gas in every town gas works. Thick smogs every autumn and winter.
Most of the population have no concept as to how dirty the atmosphere was in the era of coal.

The BS about the greenhouse effect. I've been on this planet 80 years and have seen very little one way changes.
Seen tremendous air improvement since the 40s and 50s where coal dominated. Coal fired every house, coal powered every train, coal produced gas in every town gas works. Thick smogs every autumn and winter.
Most of the population have no concept as to how dirty the atmosphere was in the era of coal.
Smog is a term for visible air pollution, mainly caused by the effect of visible particles in the air, whether from burning coal or air polluting activities. It has little to do with Carbon dioxide in the upper atmosphere which is not visible, this is what causes the greenhouse effect.

It would be naïve to completely deny the weather patterns in this country have not changed in recent time, I am 37 and have noticed significant changes since I was young. Less snow, milder winters and more rain, all things that were warned would happen and have happened.

Well... at least your honest!

Reactions: roadcred and SO16
Apologies for continuing the tangent. My 2 cents. Surely the scaremongering and doom and gloom is needed to galvanise people in changing their habits now, not later. If it wasn't for the "hysteria" around plastic waste, pumping out endless messages to the public of it ruining the planet and the sea life, we'd still see the majority of people not bothering to reduce, recycle or reuse their plastics.

Humans by nature are lazy. Surely something (JSO or otherwise) that provokes an emotional response and encourages us to change is better. Climate change aside just look at the positive impact on air quality and the fact we don't need to rely on something that's finite. Rather than wait and see what happens 100-200 years down the line, when it could be too late (let's face it science isn't right all the time but that's why its transparent, fact checked and peer reviewed multiple times over, whereas peoples' subjective opinions and the media less so), how about we make the world a better place to live in now. Maybe too idealistic for the "I'm alright Jacks" amongst us?

For those who haven't "witnessed" climate change first hand, I refer you to the impact of climate change on the glaciers in Iceland, and if you don't believe the images, go visit it yourself and see it in person. Or speak to those in Norfolk who live on the coastline and are subject to coastal erosion due to rising sea levels. Statistically cancer will end up affecting many of us or people we know, but just because you haven't seen or experienced it first hand, doesn't mean it's not real or bad.

That's the problem with this government and its attitude that filters down, the focus is always about the cure rather than prevention, reactive rather than proactive, and a lot of the times its like watching a slow motion car crash about to happen. We only have to look at recent history for evidence of this. If what is predicted does pan out in 100-200 years time, what will be the cure then? It's been shown we can't rely on Musk to deliver robotaxis, what makes us think we can rely on him (or others) to help us colonise Mars. With that to consider we do only have one planet to live on.

The Human race isn't very good at dealing with things before they happen. It'll take some very serious climate issues to really start cropping up then they'll start to act, when it's too late. This is why I've installed AC in my house so I can watch the end of days at a comfortable temperate ;)

Another good example will be AI. It could be the end of us maybe even before climate change fully kicks in. Experts in the field talk about it, regardless of how big you think the risk is it's there. Cannot stop us creating it though and no one is going to do anything about it. I mean how can they? One country puts controls in, they'll develop it in another. It would need some nuclear level type treaty and even then doesn't stop some countries from ignoring it.

Frankly we are doomed but we had a good run ;)

Reactions: roadcred
I’ve noticed many BEV owners on here seem to be high mileage drivers, or at least above the national average which is now 6.6k miles a year. Post covid many people now work from home, don’t have the daily commute and perhaps do as little 2-3k miles per year. With that low mileage, the extra cost of petrol over electricity is not much of a disincentive for sticking with ICE, particularly when you factor in the upfront cost of a home charger. Then you have the higher purchase price of an equivalent electric car to be begin with, plus higher insurance costs, it’s no longer obvious that an electric car will work out cheaper. Factor in the negative press, uncertainty over the working lifetime of an electric car, it’s no wonder sales are stagnating now that the early adopter market has been saturated.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
I’ve noticed many BEV owners on here seem to be high mileage drivers, or at least above the national average which is now 6.6k miles a year. Post covid many people now work from home, don’t have the daily commute and perhaps do as little 2-3k miles per year. With that low mileage, the extra cost of petrol over electricity is not much of a disincentive for sticking with ICE, particularly when you factor in the upfront cost of a home charger. Then you have the higher purchase price of an equivalent electric car to be begin with, plus higher insurance costs, it’s no longer obvious that an electric car will work out cheaper. Factor in the negative press, uncertainty over the working lifetime of an electric car, it’s no wonder sales are stagnating now that the early adopter market has been saturated.
I don't do a lot of mileage. Just enjoy cars and like how an EV drives plus other luxuries like pre-heating / cooling the car. Plus the extra tech you seem to get on EV's now where ICE cars are mostly old designs just being sold until they no longer can be. It's not really then about the cost for me.

I fully agree though for most people, the logic of going EV doesn't stack up. More so when you consider people that don't even have a driveway so the running costs are probably more than an ICE.

Reactions: trueblue_ips