Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla reduces output of Y and 3 in Shanghai

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What the population at large thinks or believes isn't really representative of peer reviewed science.
But no one here is denying climate change.

It's the doomsday scenarios of the world burning and becoming uninhabitable for our children and grandchildren that's nothing more than scaremongering. We will adapt and carry on living.

Now remind me again, how is buying a brand new EV and ditching a perfectly good ICE vehicle good for the environment? Especially one shipped in all the way from China

Reactions: Doudeau
Now remind me again, how is buying a brand new EV and ditching a perfectly good ICE vehicle good for the environment? Especially one shipped in all the way from China
Nobody is suggesting you 'ditch a perfectly good ICE vehicle'. The point is that you sell your ICE vehicle when the time comes, and replace it with a new EV, rather than an ICE vehicle.

New vehicles will always be needed to renew the nation's fleet. Second hand vehicles will find new owners, who may well be better placed than you to keep it running.

I agree, ideally we would get cars produced more locally, not shipped all the way from China.

But no one here is denying climate change.

It's the doomsday scenarios of the world burning and becoming uninhabitable for our children and grandchildren that's nothing more than scaremongering. We will adapt and carry on living.
I think that's a very broad, northern european-centric statement. Lot's of communities will be well and truly f***ed in the next 100 years if we don't slow down the current rate of warming.

Sorry, could you repeat that in a form of English that makes sense?
lol yea. Actually did not come out that bad considering the circumstance 🤭 .... but that is yet another subject ;)

And that’s a perfectly fine thing to do, but don’t claim you’re doing it to save the planet.

Thats just plain judgemental... Does your CV contain profiling people under the hobbies section or have you made a career of it? 🤷‍♂️

Its not but if that’s what you think, that’s ok, you’re perfectly entitled to have that opinion.

It still won’t change the fact buying a new car is not good for the environment.
Depends on what you're currently driving, and how much, and the energy sources.

It's a myth that it's always better to keep old vehicles running.

It's a myth that it's always better to keep old vehicles running.
Considering we’re all currently driving brand new 40k+ cars, I suspect the vast majority would have been driving fairly modern ICE vehicles.

I highly doubt most people here would have moved from a diesel from 1998 into a new Model Y. If anyone has done that or something similar, then fair play.

It still won’t change the fact buying a new car is not good for the environment.

But even newer ICE cars are less pollutant than the older ones and the old ones get recycled into spare parts to keep others going and help make new cars and that is a fact.

Both my kids are now driving electric, they were not new and their old, used toyota Aygos that they had for about 5-6 years each were well looked after and we often spot them on the road looking well two years on and the people that bought them off us were chuffed to bits as it fitted their budget really well. Eventually these young people might eventually buy/upgrade to some other used cars. Point being that these dont grown on trees 🙂

So did you do the environmentally friendly thing and run your previous car into the ground before replacing it with a used 2019 M3 SR+? Or did you previous car still have some legs to it and you got rid of it for a brand new EV?

I have never claimed to have the ultimate environmental approach but I try to maintain a degree of awareness of such things... as I imagine is the case for many people on this forum. I'm not saying you or anyone else should follow what I have chosen to do. I would say that being acquainted with the EV world made me give more consideration to environmental matters but I didn't buy an EV thinking that I was saving the planet! Having a family member who was repeatedly hospitalised due to acute asthma attacks it certainly struck a chord with me that the move away from diesels was going to be a "good thing", whatever the climate arguments. I am now completely convinced that a vastly reduced fossil fuel industry is essential for all our futures due to the CO2 emissions that we now know were identified as a serious issue by the industry's own scientists decades ago. Agreed, importing a car from halfway across the world is never going to be the best environmental option ... ! However, there's no doubt in my mind that owning a Tesla has specifically helped demonstrate to many other people that EVs can be a serious option, whichever brand they may buy in the future. In 2019 it was mostly young children who would tug at their parents sleeves and point, mouthing T E S L A ... it seems ridiculous to think of that now when there are so many around. The first phase with Leafs and early Zoe's etc showed it could be done but there was still an air of the earnest hair shirt approach ... Tesla showed that you could have a car with performance and comfort, and not have to crawl along with the heating off because of low battery capacity. Tesla put the excitement into the possibility of going electric in a way that no other brand managed.

As it happens, yes, a second-hand 15 year old knackered ICE was scrapped before I bought the new Tesla. We had two ICE cars and still have the Fiesta that's now 11 years old. It has an Ecoboost engine that in ICE terms was/is low emission and good MPG ... so no VED on that since new in 2013. The Fiesta is costing money on repairs and servicing despite very low usage. It's mostly an emergency car (we tried to get by with one car for a while but being out in the sticks if you need to have any work done on one car it becomes a nightmare getting home and carrying on your life.) The Ecoboost engine is now colloquially known as an "Ecoboom" engine as they are now known to fail catastrophically ... people are no longer queuing up to buy them! If we ultimately have to change it I would have no qualms about getting a second-hand small EV.

Though there are obvious financial penalties involved with only keeping new cars for a few years, and then changing them, it has been very useful in kick-starting the second-hand market ... so those people who can afford that pattern are helping others in the longer term.

I feel like this could be a thread on its own, "Does Zilla91 approve?"

giphy.gif