Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Pickup Truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You need 240 Volts and 30-50A to be useful...including power your house in case of outage...or rescuing another Tesla than ran out of power.

Given that V2V and V2G aren’t a thing yet, and given that the gas majority of AC gizmos people might need on the go are 120V, it’s a bit silly to call something less than 240V “useless”.

The majority of people who will buy the Rivian—including a construction/contractor type use case—will find ‘only’ 120V to be massively useful.

Given that V2V and V2G aren’t a thing yet, and given that the gas majority of AC gizmos people might need on the go are 120V, it’s a bit silly to call something less than 240V “useless”.

The majority of people who will buy the Rivian—including a construction/contractor type use case—will find ‘only’ 120V to be massively useful.

In Europe and many other parts of the world 240V is a must because most power tools in those countries are going to be 240V, but in North America most tools are going to require 120V and the ones that require 240V aren't usually portable.

In Europe and many other parts of the world 240V is a must because most power tools in those countries are going to be 240V, but in North America most tools are going to require 120V and the ones that require 240V aren't usually portable.

Yes, of course.

Then again, full sized pickups—let alone hoity toity expensive ones—are almost uniquely a North American thing. So, in context of the Bollinger’s 120v plug, it’s kind of a moot point that most of the world uses ~220-240.

You could probably argue that the SUV might fit the classic Chelsea stereotype and thus be slightly more relevant to the voltage discussion...but then we’d have to talk about the use case of those European high end SUVs (technically more their owners...) and the likelihood of any of them ever needing any kind of outlet for tools and such...

Yes, of course.

Then again, full sized pickups—let alone hoity toity expensive ones—are almost uniquely a North American thing. So, in context of the Bollinger’s 120v plug, it’s kind of a moot point that most of the world uses ~220-240.

You could probably argue that the SUV might fit the classic Chelsea stereotype and thus be slightly more relevant to the voltage discussion...but then we’d have to talk about the use case of those European high end SUVs (technically more their owners...) and the likelihood of any of them ever needing any kind of outlet for tools and such...

I think Europe is more interested in Vans - like the Tartan Prancer. This is also what it feels like going back to a car with buttons after driving a Tesla for six years.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: wdolson and bxr140
I think Europe is more interested in Vans - like the Tartan Prancer. This is also what it feels like going back to a car with buttons after driving a Tesla for six years.

I had to Google this. It looks like something created for the remake of the National Lampoon Vacation movie. Apparently it's a highly modified Toyota Previa. Good joke though.

Has anyone given much thought to the motors / battery pack for the Pickup?
My initial thoughts are "similar to the semi".
On that basis I concluded:-
  • 4 x small PM Motors (new)
  • 200 KWh battery pack (same cells as the Semi)
The reasons for such a large pack are:-
  • Towing
  • Powering a campsite
  • Powering tools on a work site.
I can't see this config being possible for 50K, perhaps for 70K.

A 50K version would be:-
  • 1-2 motors
  • 100 KWh battery pack...
We will find out soon, but if they do it, I think the 200 kWh version would be a winner, especially for towing and camping.

Reactions: ICUDoc
On the matter of towing, I wonder what happens if the electric pickup truck tows a electric passenger car and the electric passenger car gains energy by doing so (i.e. the wheels are on the ground). What percent of the energy would make it to the passenger car by spinning the wheels? If the wheels are not on the ground, would this increase range of the pickup truck?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Brando
On the matter of towing, I wonder what happens if the electric pickup truck tows a electric passenger car and the electric passenger car gains energy by doing so (i.e. the wheels are on the ground). What percent of the energy would make it to the passenger car by spinning the wheels? If the wheels are not on the ground, would this increase range of the pickup truck?

I'm not sure if you are joking or not, but I believe Bjorn Nyland did a Youtube a couple of years ago where they had a Model X tow another Tesla and they looked at how much energy the second car got from regen. I forget what their results were. I think they concluded that it was a way to give a car that had a flat battery a little bit of a charge, but it wasn't all that great a way to do it.

I'm not sure if you are joking or not, but I believe Bjorn Nyland did a Youtube a couple of years ago where they had a Model X tow another Tesla and they looked at how much energy the second car got from regen. I forget what their results were. I think they concluded that it was a way to give a car that had a flat battery a little bit of a charge, but it wasn't all that great a way to do it.

It was Bjorn and is was about 2-1. Model X consumed 14.9 kWh and RWD Model S gained 7.2kWh.

• Funny
Reactions: pdx_m3s