Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk Says Tesla Pickup Debut Pushed to November

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The wait for the coolest car Elon Musk has ever seen will be a bit longer.

Musk said on Twitter that the highly-anticipated Tesla Pickup, which was previously expected to debut during the summer, won’t be shown until “November most likely.” 

Musk has said the company aims to build “something more functional than a [Ford] F-150, but a better sports car than a basic [Porsche] 911.”

“I think it’s the coolest car I’ve ever seen, to be frank,” Musk said of the truck that is said to have a “cyberpunk” design. “Not everyone may share that opinion, but worse-case scenario, we build a normal looking truck.”

Musk has said the pickup could be a mini version of the Semi. He previously tweeted about possible features including:

All-wheel-drive with “crazy torque”A step that will lower for entry into the truckRoom for six passengers400 to 500 miles of range or “maybe higher”Dynamic suspension will come standardPower outlets with a 240-volt connection for power tools

“This is something that if you’re driving down the road it looks like it came out of a sci-fi movie,” Musk said.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing that would have been surprising about this announcement, is if the vehicle would have been on time. Owners would have fallen out of their chairs if that had happened.

Agree.

Another "miss" on corporate guidance, but typical.

I have a hard time seeing diehard Ford F-150 buyers -- specially diesel heads -- flocking to a "cyberpunk" pickup that's lower and easier to get into. If anything, most hardcore owners jack their trucks up to look badass. But maybe they'll sell well in Southern CA.

Agree.

Another "miss" on corporate guidance, but typical.

I have a hard time seeing diehard Ford F-150 buyers -- specially diesel heads -- flocking to a "cyberpunk" pickup that's lower and easier to get into. If anything, most hardcore owners jack their trucks up to look badass. But maybe they'll sell well in Southern CA.

While Gravedigger may not by riding my tail on the 405 we do have plenty of lifted 4x4 here in SoCal. When I was getting my MX photosynced the 2 vehicles in queue in front of me were Ford Raptors getting PPFed lol

A Tesla pickup could be a game changer. While the S, X and 3 and future Y have eased the ICE world into the future, albeit costing far more than the general public can handle, a pickup could upend industry standards. It would open up the EV world to a pickup consumer who has been on the sidelines.

If Tesla can build it successfully and price it competitively against a future Rivian, it’s a huge market.

A Tesla pickup could be a game changer. While the S, X and 3 and future Y have eased the ICE world into the future, albeit costing far more than the general public can handle, a pickup could upend industry standards. It would open up the EV world to a pickup consumer who has been on the sidelines.

If Tesla can build it successfully and price it competitively against a future Rivian, it’s a huge market.

FWIW, I have numerous friends with "interest" in my Tesla but simply can't drive a sedan. Most are farmers and the like that literally need a pick-up for their day to day operations. Some would prefer a pick-up for the versatility it provides. I fit this category as I recently sold my Tacoma and already miss having it for hauling larger or messier items.

There's a reason so may trucks and SUVs sell in this country and even if the majority of them don't need a pick-up... they're still buying them.

I think the Y will carve out a massive chunk of the segment if they can deliver reliable and consistent customer service (yet to be proven long-term) given how large of a market it is. The problem is that with as many "new-to-EV" customers the 3 and Y are producing it could mean that more consumers are going to experience a complete lack of customer service. If Tesla doesn't ramp that parallel with production they won't have any takers on new vehicles.

I think Tesla will still beat everyone to market with the Pickup Truck! Most of the manufacturers are just show-casing the truck, like Ford! They really haven’t produced anything yet! The beauty about Tesla is the show and tell and give a close to date the truck will be ready! Since this build is not to please everyone, I think by Summer next year it will be ready, while other manufacturers will continue to scratch their heads on how Tesla achieving 500 + miles! Then they will buy it and copy it like the Chinese.

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT
The truck will never get built.

What is the critic's problem? What if when announcing the Model 3 Elon had said that by the fall of 2018 they would have a sedan for sale that was 3 or 4 years ahead of the competition (Chevy Bolt anyone?). Just because he is an optimist and is off by a few months, they prophesize complete doom. There will be a model Y, a truck, AND a semi. The economics of the future will demand it.

Ten thousand miles so far using only the sunlight from a small part of my garage roof.