Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Says Tesla Cybertruck Could Cost a Million Dollars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't worry - the Cybertruck will be built. As will the Tesla Semi. Tesla has a long history of being ambitious, late, and ultimately coming through with great products. It can be frustrating if, as a consumer, you're expecting a promised product within a given timeframe.

We reserved a Cybertruck on the night of the "reveal" because, as spec'd, it's the best value out there in the pickup/SUV space and we've found Autopilot/FSD to be compelling. However, with the CT delayed, and given our desire for a family-sized AWD vehicle with Autopilot/FSD, we recently broke down and ordered a Model Y with a trailer hitch receiver.

conventional wisdom says: this is folly.

sometimes, it does make sense to follow conventional development progressions

Really? I honestly thought they would especially because of the odd design. We'll see where it ends up but it isn't looking that good right now.
Do any of you know anything about Tesla? If you expect them to follow any sort of conventional wisdom, you're wasting your time here.
The do good, bad, in-the-middle, and AWESOME but never Conventional.

Do any of you know anything about Tesla? If you expect them to follow any sort of conventional wisdom, you're wasting your time here.
The do good, bad, in-the-middle, and AWESOME but never Conventional.
I’m not sure how to take your reply. what I like best about the CT is the non-conventional design. I’m hopeful it doesn’t change especially after seeing it in person.

Don't worry - the Cybertruck will be built. As will the Tesla Semi. Tesla has a long history of being ambitious, late, and ultimately coming through with great products. It can be frustrating if, as a consumer, you're expecting a promised product within a given timeframe.

We reserved a Cybertruck on the night of the "reveal" because, as spec'd, it's the best value out there in the pickup/SUV space and we've found Autopilot/FSD to be compelling. However, with the CT delayed, and given our desire for a family-sized AWD vehicle with Autopilot/FSD, we recently broke down and ordered a Model Y with a trailer hitch receiver.

Same with SpaceX, Boring Company....

I'd chalk it up as more of an Elon thing. Giving ambitious goals in radical timelines is a way to push the envelope. I'd wager that in most cases he knows full well that the timeline he presents is an ambitious, best case scenario, but that presenting that it also helps push development ahead without letting everyone internally get complacent.

Same with SpaceX, Boring Company....

I'd chalk it up as more of an Elon thing. Giving ambitious goals in radical timelines is a way to push the envelope. I'd wager that in most cases he knows full well that the timeline he presents is an ambitious, best case scenario, but that presenting that it also helps push development ahead without letting everyone internally get complacent.
So…. He’s been lying to us then?

A Model Y is not a tow vehicle. Get a truck.

So…. He’s been lying to us then?

I wouldn't go that far. Caveat - I'm a good bit more familiar with SpaceX than Tesla when it comes to timelines, goals, etc.

From what I have seen, Elon likes to set goals for timelines that are VERY aggressive, but still possible. They may not be likely, but they ARE possible. He does so, however, knowing it's very likely to slip due to the amount of work that has to be done.

Given what he's trying to accomplish across the board (both with individual companies and with the whole system he's building towards), I don't think it would even be possible if he didn't push for aggressive timelines.

A Model Y is not a tow vehicle. Get a truck.
I should have mentioned what the tow hitch is for! We have a Saris hitch-mount bike rack, for four bikes.

We still want the Cybertruck for the additional cargo capacity, the long range (500 mile tri motor version), and the higher clearance for dirt roads and snow. But we can wait. The Model Y is a great vehicle for day to day use.

I will note, though, that the Model Y is rated for towing up to 3500 pounds. So, if I want to borrow a small trailer to move some furniture or go to the dump, it should be fine for that. I wouldn't use it for a large camping trailer!

Reactions: TessP100D
It isn't really the point, but Tesla could likely sell the first 1000 cars at a $1MM+ to the same crowd that buys out special edition Ferrari's/Bugatti's/Lamborghini's just for the exclusivity window.
agree...the jay leno's..movie stars/..pro athletes..billionaires will buy one at 1 mil easily. Same withe the porsche ev..lucid air.. etc...i mean if i was very rich i would have one of all of them...not the leaf/i3/etron/hyandi/vw/ mustang stuff as its so generic..