Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can the Tesla Cybertruck Go Off-Roading?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will the traction battery be able to keep the 12 volt from discharging under long hard winching?. Ice vehicle have the engine to keep the battery charged. Are those bumpers strong enough to use a High Lift jack for lifting the truck?

What's the running draw on a big winch? I think most of the Tesla DC-DC converters are in the 2kW class, like the Volt's APM. That'd be ~175A at 12V...

Reactions: brkaus
Updated With Heavy-Duty Features For Enhanced Performance
The 99lbs, 22.3" x 5.4" x 9.4" Smittybilt Gen2 X2O 10K lbs Wireless Winch was designed to outperform previous Smittybilt winch generations and competitors. It features a Series Wound 6.6 HP motor for high torque and a 3-stage Planetary Gear System for increased pulling power/line speed. For the first layer of cable used for a 10,000lbs vehicle, 380 amps are drawn while the line is pulled at a speed of 7.38ft/min. Also, the cable has a capacity of 19.6ft for the first layer of cable, but reaches 98.5' L by the fourth layer. The gear ratio of this device is 218:1. The clutch features a sliding ring gear. The brake uses a 2.5"D Automatic Out-Of-Drum. In addition, this winch includes a 12' lead control switch that can be operated both wirelessly or wired to the winch. Lastly, this waterproof winch has an IP68 rating and features a 500 AMP solenoid pack mountable on 2 different locations. With these features, you can expect unparalleled performance from this product.

Product Specs:
  • Fitment: Universal fit
  • Line Pull: 10,000lbs
  • Line Type: Cable
  • Fairlead: 4-Way roller

I think one of the issues will be related to the tires -- that you probably can't have good highway performance and mileage while also having good off road ability. They may have to offer 2 different tire options when purchasing, one optimized for on road, one for off road, and then provide ability to buy separately (kind of like summer/winter tire options for other cars). Personally, for a car, I prefer just getting all seasons tires and not bother with winter/summer sets; not sure you can get away with the same for trucks on/off road.

The three motor variant should have a simulated locking differential on the rear axle. It could have even better functionality than a normal diff lock by not binding in turns.

I would expect they'll do that. I also think they can do more/better.

Remember, Tesla traction control works thousands of times per second, and is so precise that the extra squishiness of winter tires threw it off in some firmware versions. They also know exactly how much power/torque every motor is receiving in real time - which means the car knows exactly how much torque each rear wheel is getting, and exactly how much it has when it starts to slip.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Its not amazing. It has no differentials which is normally the low point of your Jeep.

The big question is what happens when you bottom out? If you have offroaded your Jeep like I have you know no matter what lift and how much ground clearance you are going to bottom out and drag yourself over. Just jacking up a model 3 can break the battery pack and cost 15k.

How are they protecting the battery on this?
{REDACTED I misread}
Not sure why you think you'd need a diff with no gearbox. In the try motor you have independent software control for the front and each wheel on the back the dual motor you have individual control between the front and back and even with the open diff design side to side on the existing dual motors it emulates posi-trac using software and the brakes. I don't think lack of diffs is going to be an issue
{/REDACTED}

Last edited:
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Where I live there are many square miles of public lands. Access is two track roads with the primary obstacles being sand and mudholes. What I like about the Cybertruck is that overhanging tree limbs and brush won't affect the stainless body panels. So I see it as ideal for my purposes.
Super serious off roaders would want to put a winch on it.

Not sure why you think you'd need a diff with no gearbox. In the try motor you have independent software control for the front and each wheel on the back the dual motor you have individual control between the front and back and even with the open diff design side to side on the existing dual motors it emulates posi-trac using software and the brakes. I don't think lack of diffs is going to be an issue

What? Who said that not having a diff is an issue? We were talking about ground clearance. I was saying why you don't see 16in of ground clearance normally. It's because your diff is only as high as your solid rear axel on a jeep (example). The pumpkin may only be 8in off the floor but the frame is much higher. They have no diffs so no low point for the ground clearance.

What? Who said that not having a diff is an issue? We were talking about ground clearance. I was saying why you don't see 16in of ground clearance normally. It's because your diff is only as high as your solid rear axel on a jeep (example). The pumpkin may only be 8in off the floor but the frame is much higher. They have no diffs so no low point for the ground clearance.

ya apologies I misread "Its not amazing. It has no differentials which is normally the low point of your Jeep." as "Its not amazing. It has no differentials {full stop}."

That light bar could get you a ticket

61-9-209. Color of clearance lamps, side marker lamps, reflectors, and backup lamps. (1) Front clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle must display or reflect an amber color.
(2) Rear clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the rear or on the sides near the rear of a vehicle must display or reflect a red color.
(3) All lighting devices, reflectors, and stoplights mounted on the rear of a vehicle must display or reflect a red color, except:
(a) the signal devices, as defined in 61-9-218;
(b) the light illuminating the license plate that must be a white lamp; and
(c) the light emitted by a backup lamp that must be white.

History: En. Se
simple fix change LED color to amber via OTA update fixed