Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla P85D at Consumer Reports breaks . . . Consumer Reports's rating system.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sigh.

From that video posted above (the #76 one), 19:45 into it:

"Look - people who buy these car - they have another car. This isn't your primary car, because it's not a very good primary car. If you need to every once in a while take a long trip - I just took the family out west on some long trips - I'm going 100 miles before finding a good gas station or something, so I mean, yeah, no, electric cars are going to be a little iffy in that situation".

according to this study 98% of Tesla owners have it as primary car: Survey: Tesla as primary car?

and a similar number of people have a Nissan Leaf as their primary car.

Range anxiety is for people that don't have an EV and don't understand how predictable the range is.

Pretty good retort in the comments section of the youtube video in response to the CR quip about not needing to install a 'gas station' in your garage if you buy a high performance ICE;

Sure, but if you could cheaply (~$500) and safely install something that could fill up your ICE overnight.... wouldn't you? Pretty sure most people who could... would... thats not a fault... it's one of the most attractive features :wink:

"Look - people who buy these car - they have another car. This isn't your primary car, because it's not a very good primary car. If you need to every once in a while take a long trip - I just took the family out west on some long trips - I'm going 100 miles before finding a good gas station or something, so I mean, yeah, no, electric cars are going to be a little iffy in that situation".

My family and I just came back from a 1,700 mile road trip around California, including through gold rush country and Yosemite. I get that California has better charging infrastructure than most, but really, it's going to be easy everywhere very fast. When I got my Roadster 5 years ago this would have been pretty hard. In the last 2 years the charge infrastructure around California has exploded. I think it will be that way pretty much anywhere in a couple more years.

I think all car reviewers of electric vehicles should disclose whether or not they have the appropriate L2 EVSE at home. If they don't, then they probably haven't the slightest clue about the superiority of charging at home.

Last edited:
The Tesla is my only car, and having it be the primary/only car seems to be the norm, by far, rather than the exception. I wonder where people get these crazy ideas. Do they ever, like, talk to actual owners, or do they just pull stuff out of their rear ends?

If they talked to me I would tell them that if we were a one car family, I wouldn't buy a Tesla.

If they talked to me I would tell them that if we were a one car family, I wouldn't buy a Tesla.

That's fine, but it's pretty clear that you're not representative of Tesla owners in that respect.

It's perfectly reasonable to say that some Tesla owners don't have it as their primary/only car, because of whatever limitations. But it's just plain wrong to make that as a blanket statement about all or even most Tesla owners.

There were some downright stupid comments from the three. Like when they compared installing at 240V outlet to charge the car with putting a gas pump in your house if you have an ICE. Dumb, dumb, dumb and it doesn't take many smarts to figure out why.

Doesn't matter. The only ones who are able to make it through that whole chat are Tesla-fans. Everyone else will zap away within five minutes.

Okay, so who broke CR's site?
Apparently the web content was 103% complete and it overloaded everyone's browser.

- - - Updated - - -

I have an EV, and understand how UNpredictable the range is and have plenty of 'range anxiety'.
I notice you don't say you're a Tesla driver.
Wife drives the S every day, I drive an ICE every day. For the forseeable future it'll stay that day. The S is a great family road trip car, but I need a gas powered car to make fast roadtrips. 30 minutes to fill up is fine with the family, when its just me, or I'm with some friends and we're trying to get somewhere, its way to long.
I'd kind of like to hear jag's wife's opinion on this topic.

Apparently the web content was 103% complete and it overloaded everyone's browser.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd kind of like to hear jag's wife's opinion on this topic.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've taken multi-day road trips to visit the folks in the States. I can't drive more'n a couple of hours without taking a stop for food or a stop by a rest stop for a bathroom break. About the time driving a Model S between superchargers (if I lived some place which had them). I'd time the charging stops with the food/bathroom breaks.

I agree that the few negative comments were unwarranted.

No, I would not want smelly, combustible gasoline in my garage, but I already have an electrical outlet in there. I own a Durango (hopefully Model S in near future) and have pointed out many times how cool it would be to just start each day with a fully fueled vehicle instead of having to stop somewhere for gas. Only today at lunch I realized that I was almost empty and now I'll have to stop on my way home. That wouldn't happen with my Tesla.

Also agree with everyone about the travel comment. I've looked at many trips I might take from the DC area, no problem with Superchargers for most and more are opening every day.

Too bad they didn't also test 70D or 85D. Is 4.x 0-60 that different than 3.x in their practicality test? Similar everything else and 25-35% less $ might score a 110!

according to this study 98% of Tesla owners have it as primary car: Survey: Tesla as primary car?

In that poll 100% said it was their primary car, but a better question would be is it the car you take on long road trips. That may not be 100%, but I suspect it would be very high from what I've seen on the forum thus far.

To be honest, the range of the Model S is lower than the average ICE car. Especially ICE cars of similar size. About the lowest range I've ever seen on an ICE car was around 300 miles and most have highway ranges over 400 miles. The Model S is close to the low end of the range, but it is a little short. Tesla has made great strides to alleviate this problem with the superchargers, but it still is a caveat. To someone who likes to do road trips by getting in the car and driving, only stopping to buy gas and drive through, the Model S is going to look less attractive. Having to stop every 3-4 hours to refuel for 45 minutes is going to cut down the number of miles they can go in a day.

Personally I think being forced to take a break every few hours and get some forced idle time goes a long way towards reducing cases of people falling asleep at the wheel and is easier on the body than pushing through.