Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Survey: Tesla as primary car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Olle

Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
I have read a lot of anti Tesla articles and comments saying that "all" Model S owners have a fossil car as primary car and use the Model S as either a toy or a city hum about. The fossil car is then supposedly used for most out of town driving and for all important driving. But when I meet Tesla owners in real life it seems the Model S is often the primary car, even used for road trips. This is true in my case too and now I am confused. So I created a little survey:

Vote
:
Tesla as primary car Survey
Result:
Welcome to SurveyMonkey!

PS. for Roadsters I can understand if it is not the primary, I am referring to Model S only in this poll

Update Aug 25th 10AM: Survey now closed, it was only open for one day. We got 100 answers first day and from the first 100 it was 100% Tesla as primary! from the text responses that came in after I can see two who have ICE as primary. So it seems around 98% Tesla primary car.

Last edited:
I'm pretty confident that a majority of Model S cars are primary cars. Why wouldn't they be? I will be buying a Tesla in the next year or so, and it will be my primary car.

The only catch is areas that do not have good supercharger coverage yet, but supercharger coverage improves every day.

Generally, those who think the Tesla is not a primary car have never had one. However, many Tesla owners have kept their ICE as a backup only to sell it within about six months of ownership because they found they just never drove it. The exception is those with a minivan or some such where they sometimes need three full rows of seats or towing ability.

There are 5 superchargers "near" us, the closest is about 80 miles away, the furthest is 212. Most of our annual driving is long distance. I'll probably end up doing close to 600 miles this week.

The Model S is our primary car. (Our "back-up" is a rusted, dented 1980 BMW 320i with over 200,000 miles on the clock...)

Generally, those who think the Tesla is not a primary car have never had one. However, many Tesla owners have kept their ICE as a backup only to sell it within about six months of ownership because they found they just never drove it. The exception is those with a minivan or some such where they sometimes need three full rows of seats or towing ability.

I was one of those who stupidly kept the ICE car. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Sold it quickly after getting the S. Should have put those dollars into getting a better S.

I really cannot imagine what car would supplant a Model S as a primary car. It's the best all-around car on the market and is pretty much the lowest cost to drive.

I kept my ICE for a year but literally did not drive it once after getting my Model S.

I feel this should have been posted to be open to the Model X too. I don't have an S, but our Model X is being purchased specifically as our DD. It will also be the one we take on long trips. We will have an ICE car as well, but only because we can't currently afford two Tesla's, but need room for the kids.

I only have the Model S now.. had an old 1994 Suburban with a Fisher snowplow on it, but I'm moving to a condo, so no need to own my own snowplow any longer... sold it before last winter. I do miss the trailer hitch.. eventually I'll trade up to Model X, assuming it has trailering capability. Not willing to be an "early adopter" for the Model X though, so late 2016/early 2017 is fine for me.