Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla needs to refresh the Model S, asap.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...he said the Model S 100 kWh pack had a significant upgrade a few weeks ago (when the 75 was discontinued) which In part allows for next-generation supercharging. The sense I got was that the 18650 cell chemistry was upgraded, and there may now be fewer of those cells in the 100 pack than before. He believed the next capacity increment would take the car 125...
Typically when Tesla reduces the number of cells, they simply reduce the number of modules from 16 to 14, which unfortunately reduces the pack to 350v.

Anyone have the new model and can test if the v2 supercharger behavior is more like a 350v or like a 400v? Of course they could have increased the module voltage from 25v. That would be a major car wiring change, not just batteries.

Another method would simply be to observe the battery option code when a new order comes out of manufacturing. Or peek under the right wheel well at the sticker of a delivered car.

If the 14 module version did 100kW, the 16 module version would be 115kW ish. In order to get 125kW from the method above, the 14 module version would be 110kW ish, meaning the 100kW would also be software locked and have a software locked option code after manufacturing.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Art VandeIay
Anyone have the new model and can test if the v2 supercharger behavior is more like a 350v or like a 400v? Of course they could have increased the pack voltage. That would be a major wiring change, not just batteries.

Another method would simply be to observe the battery option code when a new order comes out of manufacturing. Or peek under the right wheel well at the sticker of a delivered car.
We have a pending order and it shows the same BTX6 battery code as our S 100D from March 2017. We haven't found any sign of a new Supercharging option code yet.

We have a pending order and it shows the same BTX6 battery code as our S 100D from March 2017. We haven't found any sign of a new Supercharging option code yet.
I think in the past Tesla learned not to change those codes until manufacturing, when introducing updates, so it is still possible. When do you take delivery? How about the software lock code BR05 or any BR code? Likely that code would change if the 100kW was also a software lock.

I think in the past Tesla learned not to change those codes until manufacturing, when introducing updates, so it is still possible. When do you take delivery? How about the software lock code BR05 or any BR code? Likely that code would change if the 100kW was also a software lock.
Delivery should be in early March. Thanks for mentioning the battery lock code. I just checked and do see BR06! We didn't opt for the extended range this time since we will be able to unlock it at a later date, if necessary.

BTW, we did find new AP2 hardware codes before Tesla released Autopliot 2. We have been seeing the APH4 code for non-US cars since early January and hoping for AP3 soon.

I stand corrected then. Funny, he brought up the battery upgrade without my asking and was pretty enthusiastic about it.
We are enthusiastic about it as well and hoping it either means new cars have V3 Supercharging or that all previous BTX6 already have that capability.

We will definitely be checking the battery sticker during delivery!

I always duck into the Tesla showroom when I visit the Tyson's Corner mall, which I did yesterday, where I had a brief conversation with the manager. I understand that information from showroom people isn't very reliable, but FWIW he said the Model S 100 kWh pack had a significant upgrade a few weeks ago (when the 75 was discontinued) which In part allows for next-generation supercharging. The sense I got was that the 18650 cell chemistry was upgraded, and there may now be fewer of those cells in the 100 pack than before. He believed the next capacity increment would take the car 125, which struck me as a high number. But the more definite takeaway was that 18650 form factor batteries are being improved and are not a dead end. I felt this was good information because although sales people usually don't have reliable knowledge of what's coming, they usually do have reliable knowledge of what has recently been introduced and is currently shipping.
This makes sense. Did he mention anything about CCS ports on the new models?

I always duck into the Tesla showroom when I visit the mall, which I did yesterday, where I had a brief conversation with the manager. I understand that information from showroom people isn't very reliable, but FWIW he said the Model S 100 kWh pack had a significant upgrade a few weeks ago (when the 75 was discontinued) which In part allows for next-generation supercharging. The sense I got was that the 18650 cell chemistry was upgraded, and there may now be fewer of those cells in the 100 pack than before. He believed the next capacity increment would take the car 125, which struck me as a high number. But the more definite takeaway was that 18650 form factor batteries are being improved and are not a dead end. I felt this was good information because although sales people usually don't have reliable knowledge of what's coming, they usually do have reliable knowledge of what has recently been introduced and is currently shipping.

Interesting. A ICE car maker would market this but because Tesla does not advertise, they do not.

Recent developments:

55540729_10218905785181008_5845196034518548480_n.jpg

Interesting battery speculations!

In terms of upgrades, exterior still looks swell, maybe self closing doors as on the X?!. Interior is mostly fine still, but the middle console does look a bit cheap with the hole under the screen and that angle - and also from the back. What upsets me most is rattles, mostly during winter on uneven and sometimes icy roads (from the dashboard mostly). Also if I play a song loud with some bass it rattles in the right door.

The seatbelt digs into my throat, I'd like to get it lower etc. But noise reduction (wind/tire) and really locking down the interior parts would be great (QC/no rattles). Wireless charging for the phone. And a 3 way split back seat (or a passthrough hole) to get skis through! Better back seat comfort. Motorized hideaway towbar? :p

Reactions: emmz0r
More than a refresh - what Tesla really needs to do is provide a more advantages of paying considerably more to purchase an S/X vs. a 3/Y.

In the short term, 3 has a potentially significant advantage for V3 supercharging. And some of the new software features seem to be focused more on 3 than on S/X.

While design changes for S/X could help - there are other ways Tesla could provide more value to justify the higher price of S/X vehicles. If revisiting the design would help Tesla bring down manufacturing costs and also reduce the sales price - that might be more valuable than making any style changes for the interior or exterior.

Other areas where Tesla could provide greater perceived value:
  • Re-institute free long distance supercharging for S/X owners (this is different from FUSC - which provided free unlimited supercharging)
  • Provide some software functionality differences, such as include free internet/hotspot - while charging for this for 3/Y
  • Include 4 year annual maintenance
  • Provide Tesla loaners for S/X while 3/Y owners don't get loaner vehicles during service, or if they do - they will likely get ICE's or lower priority access to Tesla loaners
  • Include 1 year for free XM radio
  • Allow S/X owners to transfer FSD license to their next S/X purchase
  • Provide upgrade path for future larger battery packs/increased range, ...

As of today, the basic difference between 3/Y and S/X are in the larger vehicle size and having the dashboard display/larger console display - that's not enough of a differentiator...