Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refresh Model S Rear Creaking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really need some help with this.

2021 Model S Refresh.

I have this insane rear seat creaking issue, and it drives me nuts. On every turn I hear it. I've tried taping the "U bar" with multiple types of tape and nothing has helped. I've looked through every forum and can't find an answer. Looking for advice on how to fix this since service doesn't cover rattles after a year, and wants to charge me $165 to even look at it. Not sure I want to gamble $165 if it’s something I could fix on my own. Here’s a video of the creaking.

If you fold the seats down does the noise stop?
Yes, fully silent when seats are down. I’ve tried stuffing foam between the u bar, different types, and also wrapping the bar with different types of tape/felt with no solutions. Service quoted me $160 to looks at it since I’m outside of the 12 month “rattle period” which I think is a little dumb considering it’s a rattle due to what seems to be a defective part.

Yes, fully silent when seats are down. I’ve tried stuffing foam between the u bar, different types, and also wrapping the bar with different types of tape/felt with no solutions. Service quoted me $160 to looks at it since I’m outside of the 12 month “rattle period” which I think is a little dumb considering it’s a rattle due to what seems to be a defective part.
Have you had someone sit in the back? Is it for sure either side? Put one down and leave one up and check?

Yes to both. Rear passenger side is much worse than rear driver side. Creaking seems like it’s louder when it’s colder as well.
Does it do it with the seat up but not fully latched (i.e. just sort of sitting upright)? Try this. Wedge a cloth in the side of the seat (NOT the latch area) so that it's in between the door side and the seat. Does it still do it with the seats latched?

Does it do it with the seat up but not fully latched (i.e. just sort of sitting upright)? Try this. Wedge a cloth in the side of the seat (NOT the latch area) so that it's in between the door side and the seat. Does it still do it with the seats latched?
Haven’t tried it with the seat unlatched yet. Will try the cloth in a little bit and report back.

This sounds exactly like the noise i have when reversing out of my driveway which puts the car at the angle. I thought it might be the suspension or undecarriage but now wonder if it could be the seats. Curious to how you resolve this.

Update: cloth and thick foam did not work. Creaking is gone when seat is unlatched. The sound sounds like it’s coming from about 2-4 inches to the left of the seat hook on the passenger side rear seat.
Ok so it’s either the latch in the seat or where it mates. What you can do if you don’t have anyone in the back of your car often (and this is just a for-your/sanity-fix) is to wedge the cloth in the side so that you can put the seat up and wedge it “closed” but not latched. At least you’ll be able to drive without losing your mind. I’m sensitive to anomalous sound too, so… I feel your pain.

Ok so it’s either the latch in the seat or where it mates. What you can do if you don’t have anyone in the back of your car often (and this is just a for-your/sanity-fix) is to wedge the cloth in the side so that you can put the seat up and wedge it “closed” but not latched. At least you’ll be able to drive without losing your mind. I’m sensitive to anomalous sound too, so… I feel your pain.
I’ll give that a shot. I’m gonna take it in for the service appointment and see if they can replace the seat back. I called and he said the technicians are familiar with certain noises coming from there in the S and they can confirm if it’s covered before they take it in. Fingers crossed.
Not sure why, but noises like this irritate the living daylights out of me.
Whatever the fix is, it can’t come soon enough.

Reactions: saj070
Latch attached to the seat need to be replaced it comes loose and thus causing the noise

If they can tighten it up with loctite it should work but may come loose

That why wrapping the u hook latch holds it together and minimize the noise the true problem is the latch attach to the seat

Good luck that my best analysis

I don't know if it is related, but there are other threads about creaking noises because of how the seat latches are not properly insulated.
The proposed solution, which I took was to use this tape on the latches, no sound since then for me. If you dig a bit on these forums you will find this has been discussed before, anyways I hope this helps.