Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Motors Supercar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Supercar price tag isn't the way to make money. I think Tesla should line up to compete against an Aston Martin in beauty, styling and performance but do it at $120K with 2 electric motors instead of a massive V12. That's how they would make money! Vanity cars that look great. If Tesla can add performance to that equation, it would sell more cars and do more for electric cars an a mode of transportation than a $700K supercar. (they would sell under a hundred AT MOST anyway) Tesla could sell 1,000 a year and have a long waiting list at $120,000. If $30,000 of that is profit, you make $30 million by using tech we have already developed!! (Liquid cooled motors, Gen III platform) Might not be a supercar but a high performance Roadster with a great up side.

I honestly think the true benchmark should be a Porsche 911 turbo, or Nissan GT-R. And beat them at everything below 100 mph. That includes 80-100 speed. Getting that top end acceleration will be tough enough. And well price it right in the $125 range. Probably have a 60-80kWh pack for about 280 miles or so as standard.

The goal of this car may not be to make significant money (they need to make a profit on each car though) but to serve as a attention getter much like the Roadster. I'm hoping there are two versions

1) GT-R fighter maybe in $100-140k
2) Bugatti Veyron fighter: $180-220k

the second version would be the 'sport' version of the new Roadster and drop it into low 2 seconds while the other version would be mid to high 2 seconds for 0-60

Last edited:
The goal of this car may not be to make significant money (they need to make a profit on each car though) but to serve as a attention getting much like the Roadster. I'm hoping there are two versions

1) GT-R fighter maybe in $100-140k
2) Bugatti Veyron fighter: $180-220k

the second version would be the 'sport' version of the new Roadster and drop it into low 2 seconds while the other version would be mid to high 2 seconds for 0-60

WOW !!! that is a Veyron fighter at 1/10th the price. Doable !?!?!?!? If so that is a BIG game changer.

I'm not convinced that a car in Veyron territory would do all that much for Tesla's brand. Remember when Chrysler owned Lamborghini? The rationale was that the association with Lamborghini would make people view Chrysler's cars differently. I don't think they ever achieved that goal. Tesla should just keep making amazingly fast, beautiful, useable cars that blow away gas powered cars in the same price/performance category. (The recent Model S/M5 drag race video by Automobile speaks volumes.)

If Tesla aims for too high of a price point, they run the risk of a disconnect with the buying public. The difference between Tesla and a typical car maker, is that Tesla already has extraordinary engineering in their regular product line. They don't need to build a "Veyron" to make their other cars appear more impressive. Instead, they might consider building a gorgeous 2-seat sports car that gives you Ferrari 458 performance, handling and looks at one-third the price. That would get people's attention.

One thing I find interesting... when I introduce someone to the Model S, a person who previously knew nothing about it, after seeing photos and learning of its capabilities, they often assume that the Model S must be priced in Ferrari territory. $200-250K. That's the value/performance perception buyers currently have. When they learn that the base price is under $60K, their jaws drop. Tesla has created a new value/performance paradigm. They should continue running with it.

I humbly disagree that Tesla should develop a super car. I think Tesla needs to focus on a quality delivery of the Model S. That is where the volume and the money are. Tesla is a small company and they need to remain focused.

Last edited:
This is a car Elon Musk said they are already planning to build in probably 2015 or a little later. The Model S and X should be well underway at that point. Main question is if they'll bring Gen III out first or use new Roadster to test Gen III platform and how expensive they want to make it.

I think that Tesla needs a couple Supercars that are track ready and get a race team going. Have you seen what the Grand Prix wins did for Audi sales? Audi went from practical and stodgy to ultra-cool in short order.

Hmm. I can see that. I wonder if the solution is to use two motors instead? Each motor is optimized for a certain speed range and they disengage when the car is out of its power band. Expensive but so is a supercar.
Just do what Ferrari is doing in the FF. Have a motor for the front wheels and rear wheels. Front motor helps off the line and then disengages at high speeds - rear motor is geared for higher speed and when max torque launches aren't required.

Just do what Ferrari is doing in the FF. Have a motor for the front wheels and rear wheels. Front motor helps off the line and then disengages at high speeds - rear motor is geared for higher speed and when max torque launches aren't required.

Off hand that sounds like an interesting idea, but the difference in gear ratios troubles me. Seems like it would be difficult to have both motors active at the same time because you have to match tire rotation by modulating power. Not saying it can't be done, but I can't recall any real life examples that are similar. I believe the Ferrari example cited is actually using the same "gear" while under power. Mostly it just makes my brain hurt, which means it probably requires some serious engineering and software control to make work.

A simpler possibility is to have two motors just as you say, but have only one be "active" at a time. My quick guess is that you could use the rear motor for launch to ~90mph and then hand off to the front motor (because pure FWD cars don't handle particularly well at lower speed IMHO). Controllability during the hand off at high speed might be as big of a problem as having both motors active with different gear ratios. Still an interesting idea either way if it can be made to work. Especially because Tesla has expertise in motors and software controllers, but not transmissions.

Elon said somewhere "supercar performance without a supercar price." Too lazy to dig up the link right now, but I would expect the car to be in the 75k - 150k range.

As far as the purpose for building it, it would be perfect for developing the next gen drivetrain (lower volumes). They are using Model X to develop all wheel drive. Gen III will just be a scale down or reuse of the existing tech.

I think the Roadster will be used to develop the next gen battery chemistry and maybe even a battery / capacitor combo with a super high current/voltage motor. Just my WAGs...

Elon said somewhere "supercar performance without a supercar price." Too lazy to dig up the link right now, but I would expect the car to be in the 75k - 150k range...
Could this quote have been jumbled (talking of low price Gen III and Supercar in the same breath)? :
Elon Musk says Tesla Motors may build electric supercar in a few years
"Yes, we will do an electric supercar at some point. It was going to happen right after the Model X, but it is more important to the world that we do a more affordable electric car. Hopefully, we will get to an electric supercar in 4 to 5 years."

For Tesla to have a super car it must be capable of at least 170MPh, just fast 0-60 will not cut it. I raced a Porsche Boxster stock and I could hit 160MPH at Fontana and Laguna Seca raceways. There were guys on the track with me passing me in their GT3s at 160MPH+. It should be easy to do at least a 2 speed transmission if you use a double clutch and no gears, the system would shift simply by disengaging one clutch and simultaneously engaging the other clutch on a different gear ratio. All the other major players already have dual clutches, Porsche, Audi, Mercedes etc..

The two major obstacles Tesla would have to overcome are overheating and battery life, a supper car will end up on the track and it must be capable of at minimal a half hour of running at full bore in 100 outside temperatures. It would then need to recharge in less than 2:30 to a full charge.

- - - Updated - - -

Off hand that sounds like an interesting idea, but the difference in gear ratios troubles me. Seems like it would be difficult to have both motors active at the same time because you have to match tire rotation by modulating power. Not saying it can't be done, but I can't recall any real life examples that are similar.

The Porsche 918 Super Car is in development now and overcame this exact issue...
2014 Porsche 918 Spyder