Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, he thinks it's still far too expensive and would never buy one, but he did admit it's a nice car ;)

Too expensive! What do they drive in Estonia?? MB? Skoda? Toyota?

I was talking to a friend who had a 10 year old Camry. Has nearly 300,000 miles on it. Gets it serviced every 30,000 miles for ~$1000 per. Then he makes weekly payments on his car at the gas station in order to drive it: Over $40K for gas. Then there are the mandatory oil changes every 5,000 miles, with filter, etc., the busted belt, the catalytic converter, to oxygen sensor, the new batteries every 3 years, for another couple grand. Oh, and you get to wait four hours at the dealer watching the cooking channel while your car is serviced. We are not talking safety value or coolness value or sexy value. $25,000 and looks plain vanilla.

Bottom line? Driving a Camry is too expensive: If they had been building them, he could have had a Tesla.

After taking a drive with me, pretty sure it will be his next car.

• Funny
Reactions: ReddykwRun
Well he walks to office and home and drives a 10+ year old mazda 626 and drives about 5000 km a year. It'd never be worth it for him.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, you can get an eco Ford for €15000 that does 5l/100km so if one drives <12k a year it'll sadly never pay for itself to buy a Model S. It takes a higher priced comparison car and government subsidy or a very very long time. Also, I agree that a Model S is cheaper and that's why I drive one ;)

I was talking to a friend who had a 10 year old Camry. Has nearly 300,000 miles on it. Gets it serviced every 30,000 miles for ~$1000 per. Then he makes weekly payments on his car at the gas station in order to drive it: Over $40K for gas. Then there are the mandatory oil changes every 5,000 miles, with filter, etc., the busted belt, the catalytic converter, to oxygen sensor, the new batteries every 3 years, for another couple grand. Oh, and you get to wait four hours at the dealer watching the cooking channel while your car is serviced. We are not talking safety value or coolness value or sexy value. $25,000 and looks plain vanilla.

Bottom line? Driving a Camry is too expensive: If they had been building them, he could have had a Tesla.

After taking a drive with me, pretty sure it will be his next car.

I don't recall talking to you! :) The similarities were a bit eerie when I read your post. I have an 11-12 year old Camry with 232,000 miles on it and I've been keeping track of every gas fillup and service call I've had since April of last year when I got a good app to track that on my iPhone.

Since April 15, 2012, I've spent $6,434.21 on gas and service - just under $2500 of that for repairs and maintenance - though there's a notable $800+ expense missing form that total because one of the catalytic converters had to be replaced before I started tracking service calls.

I figure I can afford $200/mo more in car payments (about $14,000 in loan principal) with what I'll save on gas - and that makes a Gen III rather affordable so long as I get one before the $7500 tax credit goes away.

I had a great Tesla moment just the other day. I had just brought the loaner home to Chattanooga and was looking for ANY excuse to drive it. When the wife said she needed an ingredient for something she was making for supper, I jumped at the chance. I stopped at a stop light at the corner outside the grocery store, pulled in and went to the back of the store for the ingredient. When I got back there a young lady came up to me and asked, "Are you the guy driving that car with the big screen? What kind of car is it? That's AWESOME!" I proceeded to tell how awesome it really is. After a fairly lengthy description we parted ways and I overheard her telling her friend, "I want to be his daughter!"

I was standing in line at a Starbucks yesterday, wearing my Tesla jacket. I felt a tap on my arm, and turned to look. A gentleman immediately pointed to the Tesla logo on the front of the jacket, and asked - with an accent indicating a hearing impairment, "Do you like it?" We began a 5-10 minute discussion, with a lot of lip reading and the occasional 'translation' via the man's son, about Model S vs Model X, actual range experience in the winter, seat comfort, etc. When I offered to show him my car, he said "No, thanks, we've already seen it at the mall."

Moments like this remind me it is important to learn some basic Tesla terminology in other languages - even sign. I've spent a few minutes today poking around the web looking for ASL translations for electric, motor, range, distance, charge time, etc.

• Informative
Can't believe my luck! I had another noteworthy Tesla Moment. The weather was fabulous out the other day. I was driving on a 5 lane city street and an Audi A6 (??? I think) pulled up along side me. He had the windows and top down on his convertible and I had windows down and sunroof open. I looked over and he looked at me so I told him he had a nice looking car. His response?? "Oh yeah...and it's FAST!"
"Oh really? How fast?"
"Just watch!" So I kept up with him in first gear and allowed him to fully engage second...then I punched it. When he pulled up next to me at the next light his window was rolled up and he pointedly did NOT look at me. Since the top was still down, I just shouted over to him, "You're right. You could almost keep up with me. Your car is fast!" He wouldn't even look my direction so I threw in a "Well, at least it's pretty!"

Can't believe my luck! I had another noteworthy Tesla Moment. The weather was fabulous out the other day. I was driving on a 5 lane city street and an Audi A6 (??? I think) pulled up along side me. He had the windows and top down on his convertible and I had windows down and sunroof open. I looked over and he looked at me so I told him he had a nice looking car. His response?? "Oh yeah...and it's FAST!"
"Oh really? How fast?"
"Just watch!" So I kept up with him in first gear and allowed him to fully engage second...then I punched it. When he pulled up next to me at the next light his window was rolled up and he pointedly did NOT look at me. Since the top was still down, I just shouted over to him, "You're right. You could almost keep up with me. Your car is fast!" He wouldn't even look my direction so I threw in a "Well, at least it's pretty!"

icon10.gif
Hilarious!!

An older 911 (non turbo) lined up next to me at a freeway entrance. Revved his engine and went like hell when his lane turned green. I had to wait for my lane to turn but still smoked him before we both reached highway speeds. He quietly turned off the first exit :)

Here's from the other side of the equation.

I was on vacation in San Diego a few weeks ago, driving near Pacific Beach when up ahead at the front of a line of cars parked along the curb is a gorgeous sparkling burgundy red car. From the back tail light and the colour, I knew it was a Signature Tesla (I love the siggy red and currently in a difficult debate if I should prepare to reserve a Signature Red Model E vs normal one when announced in 2015). Slowing down to admire the colour as I passed by, I decided that being a tourist I had to do the tourist thing. I parked at the next spot I found up ahead, whipped out my DSLR and hiked back to take some photos with a grin on my face. I was half hoping the owner would show up during the few minutes I was there to have a chat, but it didn't happen.

Anyways, for the Sig owner that was parked in the Pacific Beach/Mission Beach area of San Diego, here are some pretty pictures of your car :biggrin:
IMG_3141.jpg

IMG_3145.jpg

IMG_3150.jpg

IMG_3152.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Don TLR
"Oh really? How fast?"

FWIW, AUdi A6 is not convertible, must've been Audi A5!

Reactions: RScottyL
Police car (a new Taurus) pulled up next to me on the left--I'm turning right. The police car then makes a right turn to follow. I'm a bit nervous about the lack of a plate on the front of the car and the NJ temp tag, thinking the cops are going to ask about it.

At the next light, the car pulls up next to me and the officer makes the "roll down your window" motion. He and his partner then ask if the car is as awesome as everyone says. "We have no police reason to stop you--we just wanted to see the car!"

• Funny
I was out washing my Tesla in the driveway the other day. Its a good chance to chat with neighbors walking or jogging by. One came by and said, "I am impressed, you must be the only Tesla owner in Silicon Valley who washes his own car". Then she said she how she admired the car and color. After some thought, I must admit, my neighbor's cars are clean, but I never see anyone washing them. I think I'm the only guy in my neighborhood who wrenches and washes my own cars.

I was taking some of the guys from the office to lunch and stopped at the top of an offramp next to an M5. "Guys, that's an M5. I've got to gun it."

Long fast corner into the next stoplight at the top of the overpass. The M5 notice and is now smiling and he jumps the light, stops, waits for green and... we go.

Obviously the Tesla won the short race (0-40 isn't fair to an ICE) but the grins all around (including the M5) were worth it.

Sooo much fun.

Last night we're on our way into a restaurant, and a woman coming out points at our car and says, "is that electric?"

"Yes"

"So what happens when there's a blackout?"

"Well, the last time there was a major blackout I couldn't fill up my gas car because the stations were all closed - no power for the pumps."

"That's a good point."

Her husband says, "And you can always put solar panels on your roof, right?"

:biggrin:

Reactions: RScottyL
Met some friends for a mini-birthday celebration at a local micro-brewery, seating is outside next to the parking. I got a spot right next to the seating area where a group of people a few years our senior were sitting and had obviously been there a while. A rather robust guy asks if my car is all electric then proceeds makes a comment of no where to put a key if the battery dies... blah blah blah. Then he makes a snide comment about how far his dually will go on a fill up and cost half as much - because I simply pre-paid for my fuel. I said yea, but if I want, I can sell my car, you can't sell all that diesel you've burned then went inside.

7venth Sun Brewery - Dunedin, FL - Brewery