Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, problem solved - just confirmed with Raliegh sales they have a 90D with SAS available for me to test drive. And a P100D... :cool:

Man, those lost keys are going to be expensive!

I just want to say... this is awesome.

giphy.gif

Reactions: OBX John
I just want to say... this is awesome.

giphy.gif

It's almost like I planned it! ;):rolleyes:

She did offer to give my car back and take her Suburban to Virginia today... but I took one for the Tesla team. And now that she's used the Norfolk supercharger in between shopping and yoga ("It's free? Really?") I think my MS 100D is all but assured.

Unless we go insane and get a P100D... :D

Can't wait until Spring Break week, road tripping in the Tesla, ending in Raleigh Friday the 14th for a test drive! I thought I was going to have to wait years to go faster...

Don't have my 3 yet, but out to dinner with my wife, daughter and a friend of hers. I was pretty much out of the conversation being a grumpy old guy until daughter's friend asked about Tesla! of course I started blabbing and joining the conversation. Later I figured out that my daughter had told her friend up to bring up Tesla even though they really could not have cared less....

I'm looking for a parking spot in a shopping center and a Texas Constable SUV rolls up next to my vehicle with 2 officers with grave expressions.

I am thinking:
Seatbelt -- check
Front license plate-- check
Current registration stickers -- check
No violations -- check

Officer:"How about you lend me that Tesla -- just for the weekend?"
Both officers laugh.
Me: "Let me pray on it".
Officer: "Yeah, you pray on it".

("Praying on it" is my stock answer whenever I want to find the best way to say "no". :D)

I'm looking for a parking spot in a shopping center and a Texas Constable SUV rolls up next to my vehicle with 2 officers with grave expressions.

I am thinking:
Seatbelt -- check
Front license plate-- check
Current registration stickers -- check
No violations -- check

Officer:"How about you lend me that Tesla -- just for the weekend?"
Both officers laugh.
Me: "Let me pray on it".
Officer: "Yeah, you pray on it".

("Praying on it" is my stock answer whenever I want to find the best way to say "no". :D)
You should have said "sure, as long as I get your vehicle with lights and sirens for the weekend?"

This one is great... Had it happen during my weekend test drive last month:

me: *sitting at the Pearl, MS Supercharger talking to some friends when an old Pontiac pulls into another supercharger stall*
woman: *gets out and removes the charger from the stall and looks at it oddly after opening her gas tank*
woman: "Excuse me, what is this?"
me: "It's called a supercharger. It's to charge Teslas with."
woman: "Oh... what's that?"
me: "An all-electric car."
woman: "Oh" *silently gets back in her car and drives away*

I got lots of "What kind of car is that? Do you have to put gas in it? Oh, that's cool, i've never heard of that!" during that test drive... One of my friends also threw a "What kind of engine is in this?" at me.

There aren't very many Teslas here in rural Western Colorado, but there are a few. I was driving my wife and another couple to dinner in town when my wife said the car-load of boys next to us were reacting to their Tesla Sighting. Right then the light turned red, and they and we were at the front of the line. They signaled me to roll down the window and the driver raced his engine.

Now, mind you, they're teens in an old, literally rusting, Toyota. I roll down my window. "Let's race!" the guy says. Heh heh heh. Yeah, they know what will happen -- almost. The light goes green and they take off. I let them get several car-lengths ahead, and punch it. I let them catch up again and I'm getting thumbs up from all of them. My wife was gleeful that I let them get ahead first -- no contest, of course.

But we gave the boys something fun to talk about, and maybe work toward!

My 8 year old son had a playdate with a girl and her little 5 year old brother. I pick them up, and it's their first time in a Tesla, so I'm looking forward to seeing the reactions.

I start off the ride by asking the 5 year old if he knows what makes this car different.

Him - "No"

Me- "It runs on batteries!"

Him - "Why did you buy a toy car?" :(:confused::p:D

You: "Does it LOOK like a toy?"

A teachable moment for sure! :)

Yeah, taught me that a five year old can burst my Tesla bubble if I'm not careful! :rolleyes:

He was pretty impressed with the rest of the ride - gave them a bunch of "speed boosts" as my son calls it, just going from full regen to full acceleration instantly - his next statement was: "My face hurts I'm smiling so much!" :D

I think some Tesla owners are our own worst enemies. I've had variations of the following conversation at least a dozen times at Service Centers, parking lots, or occasionally superchargers.

Fellow Tesla Owner seeing my out-of-state license plate: "Wow, you drove here all the way from Connecticut?"

Me: "Yes".

TO: "How many times do you charge"?

Me: "I didn't". (or maybe "Once" or "a few" depending on how far I traveled).

The point is A LOT of Tesla owners really don't drive their cars outside of their local residential area, and really don't understand that the car can be used for long-distance trips.

When I tell these folks that I've driven the car to Florida and back (twice), as well as Chicago, North Carolina, Vermont, etc... they are just in awe and even as Tesla owners, can't understand that their own car is fully capable of this kind of travel.

The incident that triggered my writing this post happened in New Jersey, 66 miles from my house. I didn't have time to get into a detailed discussion with this owner, but he made it sound like I just drove down from the Yukon Territory he was that surprised.

I wonder how to reach people like this, because it's not just one or two isolated incidents. Maybe Tesla needs to do a better job at informing owners just how easy it is to do long-distance trips.

BTW, when this conversation has happened as Superchargers, the other owner is usually local and just "filling up". Yes, I know that's an entirely different conversation.

On the topic of long distance trips. Just finished first long trip. 500 miles one way. Some of these superchargers are just too fast : ). We get a message like "you can continue your trip" but we're not done eating or walking about or whatever. Just kidding as a few extra ergs is always good. The point is, I'm surprised at how the charging is not a limiter for us. It's fast.

Reactions: Pollux and OBX John
On the topic of long distance trips. Just finished first long trip. 500 miles one way. Some of these superchargers are just too fast : ). We get a message like "you can continue your trip" but we're not done eating or walking about or whatever. Just kidding as a few extra ergs is always good. The point is, I'm surprised at how the charging is not a limiter for us. It's fast.

On my trip down to California last fall I felt I needed a short nap at the Grants Pass SC. The car was done long before I was. I bumped the charge level to 95% and got a little more sleep.