Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is finally going to start charging for Mobile Internet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they were going to offer a hotspot they could and likely would do split-tunneling so the hotspot traffic wouldn't go back to the mothership. You wouldn't want to expose resources inside the VPN to the stuff connected to the hotspot anyway, so you have to provide differential treatment, and once you're doing that, why VPN the traffic at all? Just dump it out to the Internet.

Actually, this illustrates why prioritizing Wi-Fi hotspot is probably not a good use of their development time. It's hardly rocket science, but it's not completely trivial. For my part, I'd rather they spend the dev cycles on finally making the media player not suck, or on doing CarPlay. Both of those are more than just me-too check off items.

(N.b. the speed will of course never be better than LTE anyway since that all the car has. Except for older cars that only have 3G.)

I agree - split-tunnel is the way to go to keep device traffic to Internet separate from the mothership pathing. Also +1 it's not the best use of their development time, even though it's probably not too difficult to implement. I think to the casual observer, who isn't their market but still pays attention, offering this as a feature down the line still makes sense. Low-priority to be sure. Much more lower-hanging fruit with the media player and other things.

I half-expect deeper dev pushes into all these areas on MCU2 platform at the very least, but probably not until well after 9.0 ships.

Agree, but is there anything preventing Tesla from jacking up the cost in the future? I could easily see them doubling or even tripling it a couple years down the road.
Since the car has WiFi, I wouldn't mind just using my own cell phone as a WiFi hotspot for the car (with the option to block certain types of data like software downloads or uploads, and instead run those on my home wifi at night).

If they were going to offer a hotspot they could and likely would do split-tunneling so the hotspot traffic wouldn't go back to the mothership. You wouldn't want to expose resources inside the VPN to the stuff connected to the hotspot anyway, so you have to provide differential treatment, and once you're doing that, why VPN the traffic at all? Just dump it out to the Internet.

Tesla already does this. For example, the browser in the Model S does not pass thru the VPN. The only thing to actually go over the VPN are requests to *.vn.teslamotors.com

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva and jgs
Starlink will obviate this in the future. I'm sure Elon will just make all Tesla cars hop on that and send some Tesla revenue to SpaceX.

Elon already said that likely won't happen because the receiver is too large, about the size of a pizza box. Not to mention that it would require adding hardware to old cars since they don't have the capability already.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva and jgs
I do too since I like it more than my old Audi.
Same here.
It appears I am grandfathered, so I don't need to worry about the yearly fee, but I would have no problem paying $100 a year for Slacker. I have never heard of it before getting the Tesla, and I have read plenty of negative comments about it, but both my wife and I are pleasantly surprised by its appeal. We previously were paying $38 a month for Sirius in 2 different cars, and it sounded like *caca*. and it constantly cut out in the Infiniti while in mountainous areas. I was very happy to get rid of it. Slacker sounds so much better than Sirius, (128 kb vs 64 kb?) and I love the customizable radio stations and song skipping ability. At $8 a month it would be a bargain.

Tidal would be better, I have a family premium CD quality (1024 kb/s) account I pay $30 a month for through Roon for my home 2 channel system, but I don't think that bit rate could down load properly while streaming through Tesla's slow MCU.

Has anybody successfully used the browser with Tidal? Can it be done?
I don't think anyone has answered this.

When I've tried sound apps in the browser, they have been no-go. To use other music streaming services I do them via my phone. Since T-Mobile zero-rates audio streaming and the Bluetooth connection now supports high quality streaming via AAC, this sounds really nice and works quite well. I do wish there was better integration with the center console for this, but for now using the Google Assistant for voice control works pretty well for me.

• Informative
Reactions: jgs
While the article doesn't specify, mobile app access is not at all data heavy and is core to the vehicle (especially with the 3). So, I strongly suspect that app access will fall into the standard connectivity package.
Or not. Notice that nav in standard con package still gets all the information and uses it for routing, it just doesn't display it - so no difference in bandwidth costs. Same could apply for the app - will still connect and work as key or whatever, but if you want to control your car's HVAC or find it on an map, must pay for premium con package. The app may also let you view out of cameras some day, now that would be more bandwidth.

Or not. Notice that nav in standard con package still gets all the information and uses it for routing, it just doesn't display it - so no difference in bandwidth costs.

I don't think so. I think the traffic routing is done off-car on a Tesla server, so the traffic data is only ever downloaded to the car to be displayed, not to be used for routing.

Reactions: Petra
I don't think so. I think the traffic routing is done off-car on a Tesla server, so the traffic data is only ever downloaded to the car to be displayed, not to be used for routing.

I think this changed with 2018.12:

"If traffic conditions change and there’s an alternate route that will save time, Navigation will automatically reroute you. As with the previous system, you can control how aggressively Navigation does this: just indicate how much time an alternate route should save by adjusting the setting in CONTROLS > Settings > Apps > Maps > Navigation > RE-ROUTE IF IT SAVES MORE THAN"

What makes you think so? Car will route just fine even when offline (no google map, but works on IC). Are you saying the car routes differently when online vs. offline. If you plan a route while offline and then LTE connects, does it reroute?

I was surprised by these. Piss off current owners in order to lower the cost of entry a bit?
I thought no AWD ones have shipped yet.

When there was a price book change between my order date and delivery date, they adjusted my sales price at delivery. Book change was on Friday late in the afternoon and my pickup was Saturday. I am certain they will do the same here.