Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exploring Possibilities: Using Tesla as a Mobile Hotspot for Other Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cscslsy

Feb 9, 2024
la
Hello Tesla Community,

I'm reaching out to explore a possibility and gather insights from fellow Tesla owners. I'm interested in knowing if there's a way to connect other devices (such as laptops, tablets, etc.) to a Tesla's network, essentially using the Tesla as a mobile hotspot. This would be incredibly useful for instances where mobile data on other devices is limited or unavailable.

Has anyone attempted this or knows if it's possible with current Tesla models? If so, what solutions or workarounds have you found? Are there specific software updates, third-party apps, or hardware modifications required to enable this functionality?

I understand that Tesla's connectivity is primarily designed for vehicle updates, navigation, and media streaming, but extending its use as a hotspot could greatly enhance the experience for passengers and for work on-the-go scenarios.

Any advice, experiences shared, or directions to relevant discussions on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

It is not possible to connect other devices to the main Tesla display.
If you look at threads dealing with the instalation of a second screen for the rear passengers,
this limitation was mentioned very clearly.

Even though, if this was possible, the speed will be too slow, so people with kids using a tablet,
recommend installing a local (WiFi of Cellular) hotspot inside their car.

Tesla wants you to do OTA updates on Wi-Fi not their LTE modem

This is true, although it does give Tesla the useful (but rarely used) ability to push safety critical updates very rapidly in a crisis.

Tesla's connectivity is primarily for infotainment features like navigation and charger availability and remote access to the car.