Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same issue here unfortunately. Were you able to resolve it without resetting everything ?
AirPlay connection is not as stable as CarPlay. I reached out to the Ownice for help, and they told there was firmware update which I have installed this week. It doesn’t look like it resolved the issue entirely because I still have AirPlay connection issue. I did notice that if the WiFi name on the main page (top right hand side) when I first opened the browser matches the name of the WiFi of the device, then it seemed to get the AirPlay connection established easier. However, that’s just my quick observation without doing much testing.

Reactions: madmack
Carlinkit says to not connect your phone's wifi to the device otherwise they say that the phone tries to use the device's WiFi and results in performance/connectivity issues. If you did, just forget/ignore the netowrk on your phone.

Also, don't know if you upgraded recently but there's also a new firmware update to 4.0. I never tried it, but it looks like it only requires Bluetooth and Wifi connections now and not the personal hotspot.
I’m still trying to connect my 2air using iPhone hotspot… do i need teslas premium connectivity to use calling air CarPlay? Thanks

Thanks for that. Today it behaved.

A quick question. I’m currently using the sim option. I reset all my data and noticed on a 2 hour drive my sim usage was only about 30mb and my hotspot was 3.5gb

I have the BT modem off.

Why is my sim usage so low and hotspot so high when using the SIM card (it is connected and working).

If your hotspot is your iPhone, vs a standalone hotspot device I have a theory. You're on a two hour drive and using CarPlay for navigation. Your phone is downloading the map data, not the T2C. This is how CarPlay works. The T2C is only using data for the Tesla to communicate with the Internet. Your Tesla normally does this with it's built in cellular modem, all Teslas do this from the factory and you'd never really know it's there. Data usage for that is minimal.

Any idea why this happens? Every few minutes CarPlay just displays the T2C black settings page.

I have not been able to confirm it 100%, but I think it has to do with the phone connecting to another wifi and thus disconnecting from T2C's Wifi. I've turned off Auto-Join on my iPhone for all "public" networks, such as xfinity/comcast which I have at home for internet. I think that when one of those networks is available, the phone tries to connect to it, but it's gone in a few seconds because of the car's speed, and then reconnects to the AutoKit_xxxx again. Turning off auto-join for all other SSIDs (except for home wifi) seems to have improved my black screens.

My rooms are very close to the car. When the T2C/Carlinkit is on, my phone wants to connect to its wifi and all kinds of irritations happen. I got an inline USB switch that would turn on when getting into the car, and switch it off before I get out. Much better than before, but still looking for that elusive "automated" method.

I found some aftermarket interior lights that had a sensor that would cut power to the lights after a certain time after vibration and noise stopped. After going down the rabbit hole, I finally found and bought this sensor. It's an "upgraded" version and costs just a couple dollars more than the original version. Mine has a 3D sticker over the details of the sensor, so I haven't gotten myself to scrape it off and take a picture of the model number. I've been testing and using it for over a month now, and can confidently say that it works well, and I am very happy with it. Opening the door energizes the USB port, so the T2C turns on. After leaving the car, the sensor doesn't feel any movement or vibration and then cuts the power off. It really works like magic! If you sit still watching videos or social media or texting while sitting in the driver's seat long enough, it cuts the power! That last bit was irritating while I was researching some stuff about upgrading the firmware and recommended settings. :)

I can't get a direct link to the sensor, so you'll have to click on the last picture that says "upgraded version".

Attachments

• sensor30s_upgraded.PNG
    sensor30s_upgraded.PNG
    326.1 KB · Views: 19
I have not been able to confirm it 100%, but I think it has to do with the phone connecting to another wifi and thus disconnecting from T2C's Wifi. I've turned off Auto-Join on my iPhone for all "public" networks, such as xfinity/comcast which I have at home for internet. I think that when one of those networks is available, the phone tries to connect to it, but it's gone in a few seconds because of the car's speed, and then reconnects to the AutoKit_xxxx again. Turning off auto-join for all other SSIDs (except for home wifi) seems to have improved my black screens.
Not sure it was that. I got so fed up with it happening. I returned it for a refund. I did speak to the manufacturer and they said they were aware of the issue, unfortunately a fix wasn’t forthcoming.

I tried the SIM also, didn't work at all- rather than deal with a refund I just kept it, hoping they would get it right- apparently not yet. I am thinking about designing an aluminum flip/magnet latch hinged mount for larger iPad. So it mounts solidly in front of most of the Tesla main screen but flips away easily if needed. The funny thing is, you cannot run CarPlay on an iPad/iPhone itself. So that kinda sends me to back to just a simple phone mount like 2010. Yay Tesla! Go figure.

I tried the SIM also, didn't work at all- rather than deal with a refund I just kept it, hoping they would get it right- apparently not yet. I am thinking about designing an aluminum flip/magnet latch hinged mount for larger iPad. So it mounts solidly in front of most of the Tesla main screen but flips away easily if needed. The funny thing is, you cannot run CarPlay on an iPad/iPhone itself. So that kinda sends me to back to just a simple phone mount like 2010. Yay Tesla! Go figure.
No issues with my Tesla Android, www.teslaandroid.com. You can make your own raspberry pi-4 setup via off the shelf parts. However if car is older than 2021, you’ll have to buy their premade bundle or make yourself a compute module 4 system with external WiFi antennas.

Last edited:
I had this happen and changed the Wi-Fi channel setting to a fixed channel instead of auto (I use 5Ghz). That fixed it. Also there is a new firmware update and now https://www.tespush.com also works without the cert error. :)
Can you confirm before the fixed Wi-Fi channel and firmware upgrade the app would constantly crash to a black screen every 15-20 minutes or so?

If that happened to you and it’s now fixed I will consider re-purchasing.

Can you confirm before the fixed Wi-Fi channel and firmware upgrade the app would constantly crash to a black screen every 15-20 minutes or so?

If that happened to you and it’s now fixed I will consider re-purchasing.
Yes the black screen would appear more often and was very random. Now I only took two thirty minutes drive since the firmware upgrade and wifi change and the black screen didn't appear even once. It stayed on the carplay screen the whole time. Another thing to note I was not able to use tespush url before the firmware upgrade and I was using tescarplay url. Not sure which combination fixed it :-( but will confirm this week after few more drives.