Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah like wanting to blow through the cones up to the guy holding the stop sign. Great to see. Another to do something about. Still waiting for more than the visualization of safety.
Re: so it would seem it could react faster and more accurately (I like the additional 'safety' aspect of this).

I was thinking of driving at 75 mph down the highway and having the car be able to react faster to traffic ahead or around me if it can interpret and react to the processed imaged faster. Many other examples but a lot happens quickly at highway speeds or even suburban 45-50 mph speeds and people changing lanes or suddenly braking or whatever. Processing speed of 10 times faster is something that I'm OK to pay for. I've been in car accidents before at highway speeds.

With that said there's no reason why 1 pedal driving can't be accomplished with the same algorithm as TACC stops, using the friction brakes, as many prefer 1 pedal driving from a user experience point of view regardless of whether it improves efficiency.
The same logic could be applied to make the car drive the same with limited regen - they could call it "MCAS" in the settings where people who do want their car to drive differently when battery is cold (due to weather or Tesla over-cooling old batteries to prevent fires) could disable it.

There are no objective metrics. Subjectively, no one, after spending $2500, is going to say it is worse. :D

I can definitely attest to the fact that AP3 is not the same as AP2. When I had my AP3 retrofit done a few months back, the firmware initially did not load correctly and half the sensors/modules were running the AP2.5 FW and the other half were running the AP3 FW.

This caused all kinds of fits with the car (which I detailed in a different thread) so the processing/reading of the data is definitely different between the two systems.

Once they staged a new FW to my car and got it to load, all was good.

Tried to schedule upgrade for MCU2 and AP3 on a 12/2016 MX P100D. Advisor said my VIN isn’t eligible and VIN eligibility is release in random batches. Any truth to this?

Nope. They’re confusing MCU upgrade with AP3 upgrade. AP3 upgrade was released in batches and if you wanted to just get the AP3 upgrade, you have to wait for your VIN to be eligible.

But if you want to get the MCU upgrade, every car listed in the table on the Tesla website as eligible, is eligible. Tesla HQ needs to send out better communication to the service center so they know.

Adding data point. Mount Kisco, NY straight up denied my upgrade appointment week before last because my "car isn't queued for FSD" even though I was asking for MCU upgrade. Couldn't reach anyone to point out I'm talking about MCU upgrade.

Made an appointment with Paramus, NJ for this Friday and they reached out to say they don't have an FSD upgrade available for AP 2.0 yet but they can do MCU 2 upgrade if I want. They just need to push me back couple of weeks because the parts have limited availability.

I asked them to push me back to mid-June which they confirmed. They said that if FSD becomes available between now and then, they'll do it in that appointment. Otherwise, it'll be another appointment later to get FSD.

Ideally I'd get both done in one appointment but I've got a long road trip coming up that I really would like to have the MCU 2 for.

Update to the update - Got the estimate and invoice today. They DID include AP3 upgrade in the invoice. So it looks like I’ll be getting it all in one shot as long as they get the parts in time.

I’m also thinking I’ll ask them to replace the cabin filter since they’ll have the dash apart anyways.

Reactions: Gt1948
Nope. They’re confusing MCU upgrade with AP3 upgrade. AP3 upgrade was released in batches and if you wanted to just get the AP3 upgrade, you have to wait for your VIN to be eligible.

But if you want to get the MCU upgrade, every car listed in the table on the Tesla website as eligible, is eligible. Tesla HQ needs to send out better communication to the service center so they know.

I wanted to upgrade both together - does that mean I have to wait until my VIN is AP3 eligible?

My ~ August 2017 Model S 75D (AP2/MCU1) was just successfully upgraded by the kind folks at Tesla in Austin, TX at the Pond Springs service center. Dropped it off yesterday afternoon, given a Tesla 85D as a loaner. Texted this morning, saying it would be ready @ 3:30PM today....

Did you receive an email telling you that your car was now eligible? Or did you just make the appointment?

Did you receive an email telling you that your car was now eligible? Or did you just make the appointment?
I just made an appointment in the Tesla mobile app the other day requesting the infotainment upgrade and FSD computer upgrade. I have yet to receive any e-mail from Tesla telling me I'm eligible. I've been fighting a losing battle with my MCU1 becoming slower, crashing more frequently and pretty reliably at 50% of both recent software downloads pushed to my car. I believe my eMMC is getting ready to fail which is why I pulled the trigger on making the request. After a few days, I got the "please review the estimate and approve" notification for $2656.25 (2500 + local sales tax). Hopefully they'll have the parts next Tuesday on the scheduled appointment day, but ready for a postponement for parts availability...

Reactions: scottf200
I am a bit confused reading this thread. Could someone please clarify the following for me?...
I have a 2017MS with FSD paid for. I scheduled a service appt to get FSD computer installed. The tech texted me with this note:
"Hi, its Tesla Service. You will need to purchase both the MCU upgrade and the HW3 computer. The MCU upgrade comes with the HW3 computer that you already paid for. You would only be responsible for the MCU cost. We have the upgraded MCU in stock. If you would like to come in we can schedule you an appointment now to come in a get both. Thank you."

The way I read this they say that in order to get the FSD computer installed I have to pay more money for the MCU upgrade, which was about 2500 dollars.

Is anyone else having a problem getting the FSD computer installed after paying for the FSD option?

You can try what I did -
1) Schedule an appointment via app requesting HW3 and Infotainment upgrade. They of course cancelled and said I was not eligible yet.
2) Emailed Tesla customer service asking when I would be eligible, the announcement said I should be eligible in March and I have received no such email as of May.
3) They responded a few days later and said that I was indeed eligible and to schedule a service appointment.
4) I rescheduled the same service appointment and referenced the email and attached a picture of the email saying I was indeed eligible.
5) The service center cancelled the appointment and said they have put my car on the FSD parts order waiting list and they would call me when the part was in.
6) Waited about a week heard nothing, so I rescheduled my appointment via the app and Hazaa! The FSD part(s) are in and ready to go, however they forgot to order the Infotainment upgrade. They ordered it as well and it is schedule for Install next week.

Complicated process, but was the only way to get the SC to actually order the FSD computer for me.

Fingers crossed it actually gets done next week.

I am a bit confused reading this thread. Could someone please clarify the following for me?...
I have a 2017MS with FSD paid for. I scheduled a service appt to get FSD computer installed. The tech texted me with this note:
"Hi, its Tesla Service. You will need to purchase both the MCU upgrade and the HW3 computer. The MCU upgrade comes with the HW3 computer that you already paid for. You would only be responsible for the MCU cost. We have the upgraded MCU in stock. If you would like to come in we can schedule you an appointment now to come in a get both. Thank you."

The way I read this they say that in order to get the FSD computer installed I have to pay more money for the MCU upgrade, which was about 2500 dollars.

Is anyone else having a problem getting the FSD computer installed after paying for the FSD option?
Other people have posted that they got the FSD upgrade *without* upgrading their MCU1 to MCU2. If you are happy with your MCU1 then it does not appear that you need to upgrade it.

Please note that you are posting your FSD upgrade in thread labeled MCU1 to MCU2 so there are other threads that talk about just FSD upgrades and you'd get more insight. See 3rd post in this one for a good summary of thread. AP2 (HW2) to HW3 (no MCU2 upgrade)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TK16688
I have a 2017MS with FSD paid for. I scheduled a service appt to get FSD computer installed.
Check your Software -> "Additional vehicle information" to see if it says "Autopilot computer: 2.0 Computer" or "2.5" If it says "2.0" then you fall into AP2 (HW2) to HW3 (no MCU2 upgrade) which technically isn't scheduling until "Late May" (which apparently is later than now). The tech's response might just be unaware that "soon" the FSD computer retrofit for 2.0 can be done without the $2500 MCU upgrade.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Screen shows autopilot computer = 2.5 computer. But i would like the faster screen too. Is that a separate charge or does it come with the fsd computer upgrade?
Thx in advance.

Faster screen in simple terms is the MCU2. You have to pay for that. They will do the FSD computer at same time. So if you want snappier screen it does not come with the FSD unless customer pays for the MCU2 upgrade which is $2500 plus tax. Yet if you want just the FSD computer that comes with your FSD purchase you might have to wait.

Mine is scheduled in Michigan for a couple weeks out for both FSD and MCU2 upgrade due to me wanting to pay for new trim pieces.

Faster screen in simple terms is the MCU2. You have to pay for that. They will do the FSD computer at same time. So if you want snappier screen it does not come with the FSD unless customer pays for the MCU2 upgrade which is $2500 plus tax. Yet if you want just the FSD computer that comes with your FSD purchase you might have to wait.

Mine is scheduled in Michigan for a couple weeks out for both FSD and MCU2 upgrade due to me wanting to pay for new trim pieces.