Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are very confused. verygreen didn't find that. There is another thread here showing who did and the developer didn't have the parameters for the call syntax correct. That has been fixed. Certainly, it wasn't deliberate. That's absurd.

Tough crowd. Fair enough, don't want to give credit where it's not due. I do know that @verygreen did indeed promote it on Twitter, and it was indeed eventually corrected.

Regardless, if the MCU1 is not intentionally being degraded, then riddle me this: Why haven't they fixed it? It's been 1.5 years since v9 came out and the software has not improved at all.

Regardless, if the MCU1 is not intentionally being degraded, then riddle me this: Why haven't they fixed it? It's been 1.5 years since v9 came out and the software has not improved at all.

Some of it isn't software. People have reported that when they pre-emptively replace their eMMC that their MCU becomes much more responsive and draws the map faster, etc. I don't know if the existing eMMC is just too slow or if it gets slower over time as it is worn out.

We are way off topic here but RAM and CPUs absolutely do wear out and degrade over time due to a number of factors including usage, heat, overclocking, and voltage resistance to name a few.

yes, they are subject to things like electron migration which makes them fail. They do not typically “slow down” unless something is triggering a thermal throttling circuit. At a given internal clock speed, the same model cpu will process the same amount of data new or old.

eMMC devices do slow down.

Some of it isn't software. People have reported that when they pre-emptively replace their eMMC that their MCU becomes much more responsive and draws the map faster, etc. I don't know if the existing eMMC is just too slow or if it gets slower over time as it is worn out.

I hadn't read that before, presumably as more and more bits are marked bad the data becomes more fragmented resulting in increasing access times. ouch.

I do wonder how Tesla can evade their responsibility here, as clearly wear is a well documented feature of eMMC memory.

Any rumors on a MCU 2.1? If I were Tesla I would wait to build the new MCU with 5G until I could get the new die shrink of the intel processor used for automotive that it is currently in MCU2, not to be faster but simply lower power and lower heat. I might also add blank solder points for the early MCU1.0 connectors if there was any chance that is cheaper than using retrofit connector adapters.

The Intel Atom E8000 embedded series was launched in Q1 2016 so it isn't inconceivable that Tesla would be testing a likely replacement now. I assume the pinout will be the same, maybe the chipset as well.

Regardless of OEM retrofits, eventually Tesla will be pushed by 5G bandwidth price breaks to incrementally update MCU2.

Last edited:
My hunch based really on nothing: (executive summary: skip to #7 for my guess of timeframe of a possible for-fee MCU2 upgrade option)

1. Once the FSD AP3/HW3 upgrades to all S/X/3 cars with MCU2 are complete, they will be done with any FSD HW upgrades for M3 and all for S/X that have MCU2. Guessing sometime in Q1 or early Q2

2. Completion of #1 is a huge win and gets a big piece of HW upgrades completed and behind them, and has to take precedence.

3. Now we will see how/when they address the AP upgrades for FSD S/X vehicles with MCU1. No reason to believe that this will require an upgrade of MCU1, but I suppose that is remotely possible. This will be the first time they have to make the software deal with the combination of AP3 and MCU1, and another reason why I don’t think it will begin until #1 is complete, just another step that doesn’t have to be done first.

4. When they start upgrading FSD S/X cars to AP3 that have MCU1, I think they will want to do those first that pose the fewest challenges in software or hardware. That leads me to suspect they will start with those having AP2.5. I think this is a smaller subset, AP2.5/MCU1 combination was around for a much shorter time than AP2.0, and also newer hardware assemblies so the least amount of differences. My car was manufactured only a week or two before the MCU2 cutover.

5. Once we see one FSD vehicle with MCU1 upgraded to AP3, we will know whether there are any issues with MCU1. If there are, and if they are force to upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 as part of the process, they may be forced to offer a priced option to upgrade MCU1 to MCU2, independent from any FSD upgrade concern. As I said, I think that is unlikely, that my car will get upgraded to AP3/HW3 and retain its MCU1.

6. In one order or the other, once all FSD S/X MCU1 vehicles with either AP2.0 or AP2.5 have been upgraded to AP3, still retaining their MCU1, ONLY THEN will Tesla consider offering an MCU2 HW upgrade option for a fee. They simply cannot afford the workload until they get all the FSD upgrades out of the way. Totally wild guess for completion of all FSD upgrades to all cars including AP2.0 and AP2.5: by end of 2020, since lots more FSD features will be out by then, and the clamor for AP3 upgrades from those with pre-2018 FSD cars will be huge.

7. SO, only after all of the above, which might be at the end of 2020, will there IMHO be any likelihood of an MCU1-MCU2 upgrade option at owner cost. UNLESS it gets necessitated by fulfilling the FSD option for these older cars, which I think is unlikely.

As I said, above is based on pure conjecture but there is a semblance of logic to it.

Tough crowd. Fair enough, don't want to give credit where it's not due. I do know that @verygreen did indeed promote it on Twitter, and it was indeed eventually corrected.

Simple, more margin on a new car than a replacement MCU.

But that's not how it works. Quite the opposite, if this keeps up, for sure it won't make me want to buy a new Tesla so that in a few years that MCU will be slow. If anything, this will make it easier for people to move away...
Exactly.
My S is approaching 7 years, normally I would be looking to get a new car by now.
But the decline in service, the eMMC issue, supercharge limiting, battery capping, warranty getting worse, and lack of communication has given me second thoughts.
Not buying anything new from Tesla until things change.

I'm not sure about how bad memory can get before it gives up completely, but endless retrying of reads and writes, remapping areas of storage being used does degrade memory performance. It effectively is like having way slower memory and each cycle takes longer and longer to complete.

Memory is capable of handling a certain level of deterioration and is intended to correct some errors. That is why it is so important to act promptly at first indication of problems.

Simple, more margin on a new car than a replacement MCU.

Actually I would argue the margin on MCU1 replacement is one of the most profitable transactions that Tesla conducts. They charge 2500-3000 to replace a dead MCU1 with another refurbished MCU1 unit. This is 10 year old hardware not worth anywhere near the 2500 they are asking for it, that they continue to repair and resell. If they allowed people to pay for MCU2 the margin would be horrible for them.

Reactions: boonedocks
Thanks, I will test this as well. I just turned it off.

“Data Sharing” setting in Controls > Settings > Safety & Security.

Similar text is on this page:

JeOKfWA.jpg

I'm unable to locate the “Data Sharing” setting... can you elaborate? Thanks

Exactly.
My S is approaching 7 years, normally I would be looking to get a new car by now.
But the decline in service, the eMMC issue, supercharge limiting, battery capping, warranty getting worse, and lack of communication has given me second thoughts.
Not buying anything new from Tesla until things change.
Exactly how I feel. And I am the biggest Tesla fan.