Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
simplify supply chain -- one spare part to replace failed MCU1 or MCU2
This is a trivial complication for any modern auto maker - even Tesla who is particularly bad at this stuff.

simplify software -- abandon all changes to MCU1 and say 'if you want xyz feature upgrade MCU otherwise you're legacy"
They're already doing this.

customer good will -- companies like mercedes or lexus support their cars for an extremely long time; the support is expensive but high quality and that customer support also supports the brand equity
How many times has Mercedes retrofitted a 2018 radio into a 2013 S Class?

tesla likely has side-deals going to claim revenue from those captive seats; expanding MCU penetration increases the footprint of that valuable captive market. "We have *this many* people with more money than brains; you can market to them now!"
They accomplish this (plus other benefits) by focusing on new car sales too.

I don’t disagree with the “they want you to buy a new car” theory, but given the “better for the environment” nature of the cars, company, and likely a good portion of their customers, allowing the car to be upgraded over time seems like a much more sustainable and environmentally friendly thing to do when you can price it accordingly.

I could argue that it is better for the environment to not do the upgrade. Either the person keeps their Model S/X as-is, or they buy a new Model S/X, that is more efficient, and their old Model S/X replaces a gas-guzzling ICE. It moves EVs further down the car pipeline to people who can't afford a new Model S/X.

Last edited:
customer good will -

Customer goodwill? Are you kidding? Do you know how many hundreds of thousands of MCU1 owners who don't upgrade will respond to your other proposal?
Tesla said:
Sorry, we've abandoned all updates to MCU1 and if you want any new features, bug fixes, UI improvements, then upgrade MCU otherwise you're legacy

Riiiiiiiiight.

tesla likely has side-deals going to claim revenue from those captive seats; expanding MCU penetration increases the footprint of that valuable captive market. "We have *this many* people with more money than brains; you can market to them now!"

And now you're arguing against yourself. As several people have pointed out, forcing people to buy new cars and sell their old cars gets more EVs into the public's hands. MORE "captive seats". Allowing MCU upgrades allows people to keep their older cars for longer and not keep the used market supply up. Also, revenue from these mythical "side deals" would be nothing compared to the margin on new car sales.

Last edited:
I don’t disagree with the “they want you to buy a new car” theory, but given the “better for the environment” nature of the cars, company, and likely a good portion of their customers, allowing the car to be upgraded over time seems like a much more sustainable and environmentally friendly thing to do when you can price it accordingly

Like any electronics, 2x improvement every few years is the expected path. What is better for the environment is not throwing away old electronics, but moving them on to owners who will enjoy it.

Owners should not be swapping out the Tesla electronics, but instead enjoy the vehicle and trade it into the secondary used market when the time is right.

I am the beneficiary of this, our 2013 S85 purchased in 2015 from Tesla was a trade in from an owner moving up to P85D. I am thrilled with the tech in our now "old" MCU1 Tesla, and will upgrade to a newer Tesla when appropriate. I will own and operate this car for as long as makes sense, and will then sell to the used market once again, where another owner will be thrilled with the Tesla tech of 2013 which will still be better than many offerings in 2021 because of Tesla supporting these cars with firmware updates, yay!

Elon said it will happen so it will happen. Have faith.

He also said you could upgrade your battery. Go ahead and call the SC and ask for that promised battery upgrade, or the lighted vanity mirrors that were "promised"

He also said we'd also get a Chrome browser (not Chromium) and an SDK so we can develop in-car apps. Still waiting for that.

Reactions: Lex and Trebek1762
I refuse to believe that not offering an MCU upgrade path is some grand scheme by Tesla to get them to increase car sales. It is just not consistent with other items. Take a look at AP3. They could have just as easily said the same thing there and said that they would not replace AP hardware for FSD purchasers at the get-go in a similar attempt to force new car sales.

At the end of the day, it appears what Tesla chooses to upgrade vs. not is completely arbitrary.

Reactions: MTOman
I refuse to believe that not offering an MCU upgrade path is some grand scheme by Tesla to get them to increase car sales. It is just not consistent with other items. Take a look at AP3. They could have just as easily said the same thing there and said that they would not replace AP hardware for FSD purchasers at the get-go in a similar attempt to force new car sales.

At the end of the day, it appears what Tesla chooses to upgrade vs. not is completely arbitrary.
But the APE seems to be plug and play, as opposed to the MCU which requires more than plug and pray...i mean play

Take a look at AP3. They could have just as easily said the same thing there and said that they would not replace AP hardware for FSD purchasers at the get-go in a similar attempt to force new car sales.

No, because they explicitly sold "to be delivered" features to AP2 hardware owners that they've determined *requires* new hardware to function. They had no choice on this one.

No such features have ever been promised or sold to MCU1 owners.

No, because they explicitly sold "to be delivered" features to AP2 hardware owners that they've determined *requires* new hardware to function. They had no choice on this one.

No such features have ever been promised or sold to MCU1 owners.

I understand that - my point is that they could have played that situation differently to force future car sales. But they promised the hardware upgrade as part of the pre-purchase. Which means that they weren't concerned with cannibalizing future sales opportunities. It is just an inconsistent approach.

Two interesting facts.
1. People want this new, faster, chip, even though Elon has mentioned that currently it will give little or no immediate value. People are elbowing themselves into the front of the line, with little benefit.
2. Elon has already mentioned that this is only their first chip, and they have another, far more capable chip coming along in the pipeline.