Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, here is the work order for the MCU2 they "accidentally" placed in my MCU1 car. It worked great except the VIN wouldn't come up and it showed the wrong car on the splash screen.

vKft7VV.png

Interesting... can you share your detailed work order with part numbers?
I was also told by my local service center they could do an MCU upgrade... here is what they provided :cool:

Sure, here is the work order for the MCU2 they "accidentally" placed in my MCU1 car. It worked great except the VIN wouldn't come up and it showed the wrong car on the splash screen.

The part number on the work order is MCU1. How do you know what they first installed was an MCU2, or just an MCU1 that wasn't properly configured?

Last edited:
The part number on the work order is MCU1. How do you know what they first installed was an MCU2, or just and MCU1 that wasn't properly configured?
I'm almost certain this couldn't have been an mcu2. The fakra cable going to IC doesn't have the same pinout and the harnesses have different pinouts on mcu2 than mcu1. It's not plug and play according to what I've heard.

Also, IC would need to be replaced according to everything I've seen.

I'm almost certain this couldn't have been an mcu2. The fakra cable going to IC doesn't have the same pinout and the harnesses have different pinouts on mcu2 than mcu1. It's not plug and play according to what I've heard.

Also, IC would need to be replaced according to everything I've seen.

I totally agree with you, but there has been conflicting information from trustworthy sources on TMC that claim otherwise.

I personally won't believe a MCU2 "drop in" retrofit is possible until I actually see it happen. And by "drop in" I mean without significant hacking of the harness, mounting, connectors, or software.

Any guesses as to whether a car with 27xxxx VIN would be MCU1 or MCU2? I know it's impossible to tell from VIN, but if you had to guess?
Assuming that's an S, I would guess it's from 2018+ and would have MCU2. While they don't build them in VIN order, we do have an MCU1 S from December 2017 with 227xxx VIN. They switched to MCU2 about 3 months later, in March 2018.

If you can provide the preceding digits of the VIN, we'd know the manufacture year and could confirm it's 2018.

Assuming that's an S, I would guess it's from 2018+ and would have MCU2. While they don't build them in VIN order, we do have an MCU1 S from December 2017 with 227xxx VIN. They switched to MCU2 about 3 months later, in March 2018.

If you can provide the preceding digits of the VIN, we'd know the manufacture year and could confirm it's 2018.
Even if it's a 2018, it needs to be after 2/28/18 to have mcu2

I definitely know it's a 2018 but not sure what the build date is exactky

Even if it's a 2018, it needs to be after 2/28/18 to have mcu2

But it's not an exact date right? Even after that date they continued shipping MCU1s for some cars. I guess I will have to wait until I take delivery.