Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla will not do that for you. And to do it yourself you would have to reroute some speaker wires, add the amp, run the back hatch wires, run the subwoofer wires, add the subwoofer and change the interior pieces. And then you would have to change the gateway config and figure out how to keep Tesla from overwriting it in the future. Chearper to just buy a new car.
Thanks Krash. I sort of knew the answer but figured I’d ask anyway.

I picked up my car today after they installed a new (remanufactured) MCU. The system works well and snappy as expect, but no data was carried over other than the odometer number. The service center was not in any mood to give up the old MCU even with the recent news stories about data leaks.

I'm sure my data is not safe on the old computer so I have to reset my home wifi password, Spotify password and hope that nobody wants to know all my GPS history.

I picked up my car today after they installed a new (remanufactured) MCU. The system works well and snappy as expect, but no data was carried over other than the odometer number. The service center was not in any mood to give up the old MCU even with the recent news stories about data leaks.

I'm sure my data is not safe on the old computer so I have to reset my home wifi password, Spotify password and hope that nobody wants to know all my GPS history.

Or your calendar entries, with email addresses; or your phone book and favorites; or your recent text messages; or your home and work address; or your most traveled routes and times. Lots more too, but those are the good ones.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
@croman so many unknowns! Wonder if they are going to go with a temporary mcu1 to get you running while they work out the details.

They mentioned that as a possibility but they seemed fairly confident they could do at least the MCU2. They were most worried about the HW3 part.

I'm just barely out of warranty so I'm hoping they either succeed and this is merely a cable part or they goodwill the temp MCU1 as I wait for this process to be finalized.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I have found time and again they never do anything the first day. Car doesn’t move, etc. seems to be scheduling incompetence as they are always backed up from prior jobs, etc.

I think the issue likely is either the upgrade failed or they partially succeeded and needed another part. But I texted and got no response and so all I can go by is the fact the car is still in service mode and the part they ordered to arrive today.

I really don't care how long it takes or whether they haven't done anything, as long as they succeed and my car is in good shape.

I think the issue likely is either the upgrade failed or they partially succeeded and needed another part. But I texted and got no response and so all I can go by is the fact the car is still in service mode and the part they ordered to arrive today.

I really don't care how long it takes or whether they haven't done anything, as long as they succeed and my car is in good shape.
Definitely may be so here, but each time I take a car in; nothing happens the first day. And appointments are always 10 AM. :D

Tesla will not do that for you. And to do it yourself you would have to reroute some speaker wires, add the amp, run the back hatch wires, run the subwoofer wires, add the subwoofer and change the interior pieces. And then you would have to change the gateway config and figure out how to keep Tesla from overwriting it in the future. Chearper to just buy a new car.

@djcasava, short of buying a new car, your best option is to upgrade the door speakers with something such as the light harmonic package, and add a separate subwoofer. The consensus is the premium audio in S isn't as good as the audio system in the 3. An aftermarket upgrade will probably sound better and also be more economical.