Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's doesn't affect car functionality, it is FSD functionality which affects the driver's ability to monitor and intervene if the car is doing something wrong, so for example you don't freak out when the car crosses to an opposing lane because the visualization is telling you it's attempting to overtake the car in your lane (and maybe that it sees the oncoming car but the path shows FSD will merge back in time).

PS> Not a single FSD feature is released TODAY for anyone with AP2 who paid for FSD (all AP2 FSD were sold using the pre-2019 definition of FSD, where EAP included most of what is today's FSD), even if they upgrade to MCU2 and HW3, However, assuming that they will release at least some even tiny FSD features while still require driver to oversee the system, then visualizations become crucial to help supervise the system. Once FSD reaches what they advertised with AP2 FSD, which is Level 5 autonomy, then visualizations become eye candy. After all, when someone is summoning their car from New York to L.A. (actual example Elon gave) and nobody is in the car, why have the visualizations, right?
No, just no. Visualization is irrelevant and pointless. A distraction. It will never be what the car is seeing because it can't be. So all it can ever be is a misleading security blanket. Spending any effort on it distracts from progress on actual FSD work.

Your intense desire to complain about everything distorts your reality. I can't imagine why you would own a Tesla.

The visualizations are mostly eye candy today, except for detection of traffic cones on highways when operating under NOAP. In that case, it is useful to verify the software is detecting the traffic cones as the vehicle is approaching the area - and if the display doesn't show the cones, then the driver should be prepared to take over.
The driver must be prepared to take over always. So of course it's true for this particular case. It's all eye candy. Keep your eyes on the road and drive.

• Love
Reactions: SO16 and SucreTease
it is FSD functionality which affects the driver's ability to monitor and intervene if the car is doing something wrong, so for example you don't freak out when the car crosses to an opposing lane because the visualization is telling you it's attempting to overtake the car in your lane (and maybe that it sees the oncoming car but the path shows FSD will merge back in time).
no.
The cars are visualized identically.

The "FSD preview" additional visualizations include: traffic cones (also shown on hw2.5 as lack of drivable space), garbage cans, various road markings (don't affect any actual driving behavior), traffic lights and stop signs - don't affect anything unlesss mapped, mapping status is not displayed so you never know if you'll get the warning or not anyway until you try to run the light/sign.

You'd have a point once the visualizations also play into actual behaviors, but today they don't.

However, assuming that they will release at least some even tiny FSD features while still require driver to oversee the system, then visualizations become crucial to help supervise the system
bingo. We are not at this point yet.

No, just no. Visualization is irrelevant and pointless. A distraction. It will never be what the car is seeing because it can't be. So all it can ever be is a misleading security blanket. Spending any effort on it distracts from progress on actual FSD work.
You car just entered opposing traffic lane overtaking another car, nothing immediately in front of you, do you abort and manually merge or no? No visualizations for you, so you don't know if the car is planning to merge back (part of an overtake maneuver) or not (car thinks it's a lane you can keep on traveling in).

Yes, I get that Tesla AP capabilities today (the real ones, not the ones Elon touts or shows in videos like the one from 2016) are very limited compared other companies doing AV (notice by number of people working on it, Tesla didn't even make top 5 companies in Bay Area working on autonomous vehicles). So yes, today the usefulness of the Tesla visualization is close to eye-candy only (NoA is where it starts getting useful). There is also a chance Tesla has put zero real-time requirements around the visualizations, so maybe it will never be useful for safety. However, if they are going to enable features beyond lane keeping they have today, they will need it. That said, I will agree to disagree with you, just like I agreed to disagree with people telling me in 2016 how their AP2 cars will be making money for them soon while driving autonomously for the Tesla Ride Sharing Network. However, Tesla won't have the luxury to disagree with the regulators, if they choose to mandate confidence view on any cars above L2 but under L5, which might happen as a safety measure.

Your intense desire to complain about everything distorts your reality.
Not really, unlike what you or other devoted Tesla fans think, stating Tesla is not perfect does not require a burning desire to complain about Tesla. I'm just stating some facts about visualizations that the rest of the autonomous vehicle industry has figured out - you know, like the guys that actually have cars driving private passengers as part of ride sharing today, not just staged fake videos.

I can't imagine why you would own a Tesla.
Let me tell you, so you don't have to strain your imagination any more. I still own two of four Model S I bought because they are a dream to drive (manually, nothing to do with autopilot) and while they are early adopter cars requiring TLC from Tesla (each and every one of the 4 required service to fix manufacturing or engineering issues), service used to be awesome - I could talk to a live person, they'd provide loaners, they'd make everything right - the time spent servicing was a worthy trade-off for owning and driving the car, especially they that after few post delivery visits they have held up well for us (except for the yellow screen which showed up months later). Yea, Tesla tricked me into paying $25K extra for car speced at 691hp, and only admitted two years later that the car would need a 50% power increase to meet that, but without it I still would have bought one, just not the performance model - service was still stellar back then. However, given the service experience deterioration and continual profit chasing changing of warranty terms, I am no longer interested in buying a new one. So, I am now stuck with the Teslas because I can't find a replacement that drives as well (again, nothing to do with AP). I hope this answers your dilemma.

Last edited:
bingo. We are not at this point yet.
Yep, I think this is where we disconnected. My opinion on visualization was based on whether they are needed for FSD features (which according to Elon are coming any day now). Given no FSD feature (as per AP2 definition since we are talking here about people upgrading from MCU1, not the 2019 neutered version) has been released today, yes, they are not required.

To sum up, visualizations are needed for FSD features (once released). That means that if you paid for FSD features (whenever they come), you will need visualizations, and if those are tied to MCU2, then it means FSD customers require MCU2.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: CreamSoduh
To sum up, visualizations are needed for FSD features (once released).

The notion that visualizations are a 1:1 representation of what is on the road and the driver can navigate roads simply by watching the visualization and not in front of them is very misguided.

The visualization is basically just guidance of what the car sees and recognizes. This is strictly for the driver's benefit so things like lane changes, sudden stops, drifting off the road, etc... can be seen (and alerted/acted on). I seriously doubt the FSD CPU uses anything shown in the IC as gospel.

The notion that visualizations are a 1:1 representation of what is on the road and the driver can navigate roads simply by watching the visualization and not in front of them is very misguided.
I never said you need 1:1 representation, come on - that would be AR. I simply said visualization showing objects such as obstacles, road markings, signs, traffic lights, pedestrians, cones, and anything else which AP recognizes and is aware of when making the decision, combined with an overlayed planned path, where is AP planning on going. If you know AP is planning an overtake maneuver because it shows you an arrow going into oncoming traffic lane, and you see a truck coming in the opposite direction which doesn't appear on the visualization, you abort it before it steers the car into oncoming traffic lane just before the truck passes you. Without visualization you have a split second to react, with visualization you have many times that.
The visualization is basically just guidance of what the car sees and recognizes. This is strictly for the driver's benefit so things like lane changes, sudden stops, drifting off the road, etc... can be seen (and alerted/acted on). I seriously doubt the FSD CPU uses anything shown in the IC as gospel.
Of course it is purely for the benefit of the driver, in order to allow the driver to more safely supervise FSD. Technically avoiding an accident is also benefits FSD hardware, as a crash would potentially destroy it, but that is not the primary reason for visualizations - it is to keep the driver safer, not the FSD hardware. To be clear, visualizations are for humans to make decisions, AP does not read back the visualization and make decisions - visualization are machine-to-human interface, not machine-to-machine.

To be clear, visualizations are for humans to make decisions
What's clear is that you think that. But nobody else does. It's insanity. Humans must make decisions based on actual road conditions. The visualizations are strictly eye candy, there only to let people see the auto-pilot is actually seeing something, and cool to show your friends. And since it's useless, it's a coding task you give to interns -- nice if it works and no matter if it doesn't. Your imagined purpose for this is bunk.

Reactions: VValleyEV
What's clear is that you think that. But nobody else does. It's insanity. Humans must make decisions based on actual road conditions. The visualizations are strictly eye candy, there only to let people see the auto-pilot is actually seeing something, and cool to show your friends. And since it's useless, it's a coding task you give to interns -- nice if it works and no matter if it doesn't. Your imagined purpose for this is bunk.
If you truly believe that knowing whether or not autopilot sees an obstacle, or another car, or lane marking, or traffic light (or that it thinks it's green when you can see it's red) ,or knowing what it's planning on doing (go straight, turn, stop at a light, pass a car, switch lanes, etc) is completely useless for a human who must supervise it for safety reasons, then I think we should just agree to disagree on that and call it a day - I see no point trying to argue. I concede that you think you know better than all those other companies working autonomous driving just wasted their time implementing such confidence views.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: CreamSoduh
Not really, unlike what you or other devoted Tesla fans think, stating Tesla is not perfect does not require a burning desire to complain about Tesla

I don’t ever see anyone say that Tesla is perfect. You do however complain about many different topics. It is impressive to be that negative on so much and still keep the vehicles.

As far as visualizations go, when I hear my car give an alert, I look ahead and around me outside to make sure I’m not going to hit something....since....you know.....we are still responsible for driving the actual car. Not looking at the display. Same with coming to a stop. I pay attention to the actual situation outside of the car because that’s ultimately what matters. Watching the display is just adding an extra layer of possible delay and even distraction. The only caveat to this is perhaps a lane change. Those “confidence views” on every single car are possibly helpful. Absolutely necessary? You don’t know that and neither do I. I think it could be information overload for many people. It would be like showing debug information to end users for software. Just because “every other company” is doing something doesn’t make it the only necessary way. I actually wish we could turn off some of the detail. I don’t need to see every trash can, cone, car, etc. just a simple display of showing the actual “actions” the car will take would be good enough for me.

Last edited:
I don’t ever see anyone say that Tesla is perfect. You do however complain about many different topics. It is impressive to be that negative on so much and still keep the vehicles.
Tell me something I said about Tesla that wasn't true. In this case I wasn't even talking spefically about Tesla, rather about the need for confidence view in autonomous vehicles. If you're curious as for why I still own them, see my prior post (#2904). I used to be Tesla's biggest fan too, telling everyone who would listen to buy one, until I got burned, so now warning people, while still telling them they are best driving car you can buy today.

As far as visualizations go, when I hear my car give an alert, I look ahead and around me outside to make sure I’m not going to hit something....since....you know.....we are still responsible for driving the actual car. Not looking at the display.
It must be a new feature of Tesla to warn you about things it can't see. All those Teslas which plowed into stopped fire trucks could have used that feature. :p

I pay attention to the actual situation outside of the car because that’s ultimately what matters. Watching the display is just adding an extra layer of possible delay and even distraction. The only caveat to this is perhaps a lane change. Those “confidence views” on every single car are possibly helpful. Absolutely necessary? You don’t know that and neither do I.
The confidence view is to to keep on looking at while you're driving. It's to look at when you're not sure why the car is doing something that concerns you. It is not a replacement method for situational awareness, it is just another tool to add to your situational awareness. It is not meant to replace the driver looking around and being aware of their surroundings. It is there so the driver can confirm that the car sees an obstacle or maybe that it's missing that giant firetruck in its lane, so they know to brake right away and/or switch lanes. Increased situational awareness means generally safer driving.

Last edited:
Reactions: tyler2323
Tell me something I said about Tesla that wasn't true. I

Where did I state that what you said wasn’t true? (Other than saying others state Tesla is perfect.)

As far as the fire truck goes, it is unfortunate that happened and should be accounted for but people also need to pay attention. They are reminded to do so every single time they enable autopilot.

Information overload can be a bad thing. That’s why I’d prefer just a simple graphic of what it plans to do, not detailing everything it sees.

Last edited:
The current FSD visualizations have limited value, primarily demonstrating that the system is detecting traffic lights/signs/cones and intersection lines. Many of these objects appear only when the vehicle is very near to the object.

So the current FSD visualizations are "eye candy" - and don't provide enough information to be useful to the driver in operating the verhicle.

To be useful, the display should show the objects sooner - and rather than trying to provide a representation of the upcoming objects, their relative size & position and status (the green/red lights in a stop light), what would be more useful is an indicator that the system has detected an upcoming signal/sign and the current status (and estimated distance to that object would help).

It's unclear what Tesla's intent is with the visualization. If they are providing this only for informational purposes - illustrating what the FSD software is detecting, then the visualization will not have any impact on driving.

However, if the visualization is intended to help the driver determine if the FSD software is making the correct decisions, then the visualization becomes more important. But that's not the current implementation.

If/when Tesla enables NOAP on surface streets, it would help considerably when approaching intersections to have confidence the system has properly detected the upcoming traffic signals/signs. We don't need to see a graphical representation of what the system is seeing - it's more important for there to be an indicator confirming the software is aware of the upcoming intersection and that it has properly detected the traffic lights/signs. The current traffic light visualizations are too small to be useful, almost impossible to see the current green/red light status when approaching the intersection, and the traffic lights don't show up soon enough to provide the driver enough time to use that information - it is "eye candy" (at least today).

Since we don't know Tesla's plans for the visualizations - we can't tell if they will or will not be useful when Tesla expands the areas where NOAP is enabled.

Today, when NOAP is enabled for automatic lane changing or when I manually initiate a lane change, I use the visualization (plus a visual check of the adjacent lane) to confirm the system is going to make a safe lane change. If/when NOAP operates through traffic intersections, i'd want something similar to help verify the FSD software is making the correct decision (and not hit another vehicle that has right of way).

I like that news... I have the same configuration and purchased FSD. Also you are closer to me and not in California. There is hope for Michigan owners then. Just waiting. Should be one of the first groups to be invited.

I dug deeper into the email notification that was sent to me. In that email, click on "Learn More". A header comes up for "Support" and under Support another header "Infotainment Upgrade". Near the bottom paragraph of the Infotainment Upgrade article, there is hypertext that reads "Learn more about the Full Self-Driving Computer." Clicking on that hypertext brings up the header "Full Self-Driving Computer Installations" under the Support header. Scrolling down THAT page and under a header called "Installation", you will find the following.....

"Can I schedule an appointment for the FSD Computer Installation?"
If your car is eligible and the upgrade is available for your car, you can schedule an appointment in the Tesla app by selecting 'Schedule Service' > 'Accessories' > 'Upgrades & Installations' and add 'FSD Computer Upgrade' in the description.

That is what I did and the app looked at my car and VIN, did a few calculations and then came up and asked me when I would like to schedule the upgrade. Thursday was the first option given to me from my Service Center so I chose that and the time that I wanted and voilà.

I dug deeper into the email notification that was sent to me. In that email, click on "Learn More". A header comes up for "Support" and under Support another header "Infotainment Upgrade". Near the bottom paragraph of the Infotainment Upgrade article, there is hypertext that reads "Learn more about the Full Self-Driving Computer." Clicking on that hypertext brings up the header "Full Self-Driving Computer Installations" under the Support header. Scrolling down THAT page and under a header called "Installation", you will find the following.....

"Can I schedule an appointment for the FSD Computer Installation?"
If your car is eligible and the upgrade is available for your car, you can schedule an appointment in the Tesla app by selecting 'Schedule Service' > 'Accessories' > 'Upgrades & Installations' and add 'FSD Computer Upgrade' in the description.

That is what I did and the app looked at my car and VIN, did a few calculations and then came up and asked me when I would like to schedule the upgrade. Thursday was the first option given to me from my Service Center so I chose that and the time that I wanted and voilà.

Unfortunately, I JUST NOW got a text from the Service Center................

Hi Bill,
This is Tesla Service. We wanted to reach out in regards to your upcoming appointment.
The Hardware 3 retrofits come in serialized by VIN, and unfortunately, we do not have
yours yet. We can reach out at a later date when we do, or feel free to check back in
periodically as well. For now, we will cancel the appointment.

Thank you.

Visualisation is just there to give users some confidence in the system.

Hi Bill,
This is Tesla Service. We wanted to reach out in regards to your upcoming appointment.
The Hardware 3 retrofits come in serialized by VIN, and unfortunately, we do not have
yours yet. We can reach out at a later date when we do, or feel free to check back in

Thank you.
Received same this morning

Hi Bill,

Thank you.

I made an appointment then immediately cancelled it after I read this. Good sleuthing and line of reasoning though.

Hi Bill,

Thank you.
I don't understand. How can they come in serialized by the VIN of the car to be installed into unless the owner of that VIN has already purchased the upgrade? Did you actually purchase the upgrade? If not, how would Tesla ever know you were intending to do so, such that it would "serialize" an upgraded MCU for you?

I don't understand. How can they come in serialized by the VIN of the car to be installed into unless the owner of that VIN has already purchased the upgrade? Did you actually purchase the upgrade? If not, how would Tesla ever know you were intending to do so, such that it would "serialize" an upgraded MCU for you?
I think they have a range of VINs that are allowed. If you submit a request and your VIN is in the allowable range, then they can do the upgrade. If your VIN isn't in the allowable range, you have to wait until the VIN range is expanded.

Reactions: tyler2323 and ord3r