Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 24Hrs left for pricing release for it to happen this week (assuming US business hours)......

I have been avidly researching recipes for preparing hats for consumption, but I am not pre-warming the oven just yet!

I bought all the hats when i was in Japan...red...blue...grey...black...

Jackets...jumpers...coffee mugs...water flasks...may have gone a little over board :redface:

- - - Updated - - -

... and my pigs are just about ready for liftoff. They don't like the wings though :)

No ...... think positive - today WILL be the day!

It's not wrong to have a work monitor dedicated to auto refresh Tesla Motors | Premium Electric Vehicles :confused:

Nothing i ever put there was THAT important...:frown:

I met with Cary Clark in Melbourne yesterday to look at samples and talk Tesla (Hi Cary!). He confirmed the Friday release date for pricing, although there was a moment's hesitation when I asked if it was Friday here or Friday in California. He thought Friday here.

He told me that his first Model S arrived in Sydney on Wednesday and will be ready for test rides (not drives yet as there are insurance issues to sort out) in a week and a half or so. It is a red P85+ with black leather (pretty close to the car I want). I am seriously looking forward to seeing it. It sounds like whatever hassles were preventing the launch here have been mostly sorted and they are now pulling out all the stops to get things moving (hence the air freight - that must be insanely expensive!). They are following this forum so are aware of the angst going on.

My meeting was very reassuring that Tesla are very serious about launching in Australia and rolling out charging infrastructure - and not just superchargers but other options as well. I think that he and Stone must be the 2 busiest people in Australia right now. Can't wait to see the pricing today (or early tomorrow if it is California's Friday).

A device that just supports 850Mhz 3G alone would have no issues accessing Telstra's network.

No - you're not understanding what I'm saying. The 'radio' is EITHER:
850/900/2100 OR 850/1900
and its physically different radio hardware.

See map at
http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html and note that Aus is in a different band to USA for GSM/3G.

Stating this a slightly different way: my guess is the car in question is setup for US rather than specific for here - hence why its had somewhat poor data speeds observed.
All it needs is the 'right' one shipped.

No - you're not understanding what I'm saying. The 'radio' is EITHER:
850/900/2100 OR 850/1900
and its physically different radio hardware.

See map at
http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html and note that Aus is in a different band to USA for GSM/3G.

Stating this a slightly different way: my guess is the car in question is setup for US rather than specific for here - hence why its had somewhat poor data speeds observed.
All it needs is the 'right' one shipped.

Most chipsets are universal these days and if Tesla weren't already using a universal one then they have likely switched to support other countries.

while we wait - what do you guys think about the air suspension? I don't need to raise or lower the car...but Stone told me that the ride is smoother as well with the Air Suspension. Argh I'm so torn - it's a very expensive upgrade!
Yep, I'm in the same boat. Depending on how the prices come out, I'm tossing up between a spec'd up S85 or minimal spec P85. I'm just trying to determine what 'minimal' will be to make me happy (probably just tech pack) and what 'minimal' would be OK for family trips (nice ride, pano roof, etc). I've read a heap of posts across the forums but it's hard to find a clear winner for suspension.

Yep, I'm in the same boat. Depending on how the prices come out, I'm tossing up between a spec'd up S85 or minimal spec P85. I'm just trying to determine what 'minimal' will be to make me happy (probably just tech pack) and what 'minimal' would be OK for family trips (nice ride, pano roof, etc). I've read a heap of posts across the forums but it's hard to find a clear winner for suspension.

When Stone took me in the P85, there were a couple of times when he didn't put his foot all the way down, but the car still shot like a cannon. I still went "HOLY ****". As he put it, difference between S85 and P85 is that P85 will get you to speed limit quicker, but that feeling of instant torque, being pushed back into your seat, won't change. Might change a little with the S60, but I think between the two different 85s it's not very noticeable.

I'm therefore thinking I want a specced up S85, rather than a pared down P85. Think about all the things you'd be missing if you only got tech package: parking sensors (a must), leather seats (a must), metallic paint, better trims, better sound system, air suspension, even parcel shelf (a must)!

I reckon you would miss all of those things a lot more than an extra tiny bit in acceleration. That's just my opinion though.

When Stone took me in the P85, there were a couple of times when he didn't put his foot all the way down, but the car still shot like a cannon. I still went "HOLY ****". As he put it, difference between S85 and P85 is that P85 will get you to speed limit quicker, but that feeling of instant torque, being pushed back into your seat, won't change. Might change a little with the S60, but I think between the two different 85s it's not very noticeable.

I'm therefore thinking I want a specced up S85, rather than a pared down P85. Think about all the things you'd be missing if you only got tech package: parking sensors (a must), leather seats (a must), metallic paint, better trims, better sound system, air suspension, even parcel shelf (a must)!

I reckon you would miss all of those things a lot more than an extra tiny bit in acceleration. That's just my opinion though.

Good points Timpoo, thanks. I must admit every time I've spec'd up on the US site, parking, leather, paint and all options I would select. Sound would be nice, but I'm thinking of things like parcel shelf after I've got the car as LCT on that just plain gives me the sh##ts. Air suspension though, I still don't know.

Good points Timpoo, thanks. I must admit every time I've spec'd up on the US site, parking, leather, paint and all options I would select. Sound would be nice, but I'm thinking of things like parcel shelf after I've got the car as LCT on that just plain gives me the sh##ts. Air suspension though, I still don't know.

If I were you, I'd take air suspension over upgraded sound package (and I would if Signature didn't force me to take the sound package).