Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, thanks. Just out of interest, for the Signature model (I was far too late) , is it completed spec'd for you from Tesla?

Not completely maxed out, there are some things still optional like the performance plus package, cold weather, etc. I was chatting to Stone saying that I wouldn't get x, y & z option and he just kept saying "you don't have an option, it's part of your sig reservation".

Good points Timpoo, thanks. I must admit every time I've spec'd up on the US site, parking, leather, paint and all options I would select. Sound would be nice, but I'm thinking of things like parcel shelf after I've got the car as LCT on that just plain gives me the sh##ts. Air suspension though, I still don't know.
I'm doing a lot of rural driving so air suspension is a must for me. Having had self levelling suspension on many Citroens in the past, it's a pretty useful feature when you load your car.

I'm doing a lot of rural driving so air suspension is a must for me. Having had self levelling suspension on many Citroens in the past, it's a pretty useful feature when you load your car.

Awesome - sold! I don't do a lot of rural driving but I could one day haha.

By the way not sure if it's the same as the US site, but on the Hong Kong site they've added a few more photos when you're designing to give you more views of the car. Really cool!

It was pretty funny watching the car level itself out yesterday as people got in and out of it. I imagine it would make a not-insignificant difference to tyre wear if you didn't have air suspension and the car was unbalanced due to load.

Yep, I think you've convinced me too. Our roads are crap and I do a bit of travel inland. My Merc ML63 has it but I don't alter it a lot - it goes from hardish to very hard. The kids love it when I park in the garage and the car "sighs" as it drops down.

For the article, "Tesla customers who registered their interest in the Model S have already been contacted and given Signature Reservation slots" - has anyone here been contacted ?

OK I've just done a quick calculation - based on HKD prices, the Model S is about $2k less expensive than I was previously expecting. However, that is probably due to exchange rates - so I'm thinking that eventual pricing will be very similar.

$97,650 if calculated based on current spot rate from HKD conversion; $95k announced on Gizmodo.

Edit: Also, top of the line fully optioned P85+ is $200k according to Gizmodo, and on a pure mathematical basis, conversion from HKD is $190,575, which means that Australia is $9k more.

Still, I guess that's as low an "Australian tax" as we'll ever get on a motor vehicle.

Last edited:
OK I've just done a quick calculation - based on HKD prices, the Model S is about $2k less expensive than I was previously expecting. However, that is probably due to exchange rates - so I'm thinking that eventual pricing will be very similar.

$97,650 if calculated based on current spot rate from HKD conversion; $95k announced on Gizmodo.

Edit: Also, top of the line fully optioned P85+ is $200k according to Gizmodo, and on a pure mathematical basis, conversion from HKD is $190,575, which means that Australia is $9k more.

Still, I guess that's as low an "Australian tax" as we'll ever get on a motor vehicle.

What are the taxes like in Hong Kong? They must be similar as a maxed out Dutch Model S is around $180k and they have less severe taxes.

What are the taxes like in Hong Kong? They must be similar as a maxed out Dutch Model S is around $180k and they have less severe taxes.

HK has no taxes on electric vehicles, which is why it's such a good region to calculate pricing from. They also have no import duty.

I'm not sure why they would be more expensive than the Dutch Model S - maybe exchange rates?

- - - Updated - - -

I've just been reading the Gizmodo articles, they really monitor this thread a lot!

HK has no taxes on electric vehicles, which is why it's such a good region to calculate pricing from. They also have no import duty.

I'm not sure why they would be more expensive than the Dutch Model S - maybe exchange rates?

Hmm, ok. Those are prices quoted on the Dutch website in Dutch so I couldn't read the fine print so perhaps there are incentives that I am not taking into account.

Anyway, as long as the car is under $200k I'm happy. I don't think I could convince my wife to spend more than that!

Zero import duty (for everything except a few luxury items - not cars), zero export duty, zero sales tax, zero registration tax (for EVs), and currency is pegged to USD around 7.8HKD=1USD (+/- 0.05HKD usually). Tesla HK website is in English. A pretty good baseline for predicting pricing.

Hmm, ok. Those are prices quoted on the Dutch website in Dutch so I couldn't read the fine print so perhaps there are incentives that I am not taking into account.

Anyway, as long as the car is under $200k I'm happy. I don't think I could convince my wife to spend more than that!

Every time I tell my wife I want the P85, she just rolls her eyes and says "you're an idiot". But wait till she steps foot in one...then we'll see who the idiot is!!

Every time I tell my wife I want the P85, she just rolls her eyes and says "you're an idiot". But wait till she steps foot in one...then we'll see who the idiot is!!

Haha. You just reminded me of my wife's reaction yesterday after Stone dropped the accelerator to the floor - she went clutching for the grab handles, which obviously don't exist, and all she could say was "wow".